Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I played Rift for a long time. Great game, but I can never go back to it for one simple reason: horrible, robotic animations. I mean, holy crap my Warrior felt like he was fighting with a fun noodle even when I was decked out in Hammerknell gear. It was disgustingly sad. It's an absolutely crippling flaw to me, because no matter how good the game is, the melee just feels and looks weak as hell...now that I haven't played Rift in months, there's no way I could readjust to such shitfest animations. I would come back in a heart beat if they fixed those animations.
    Yea I noticed this to. It's a great game but I do wish my guy was a bit more fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lashmoo View Post
    Until proper numbers are published, there's not much to refute. There can be claims from now until one's face turns blue, but without the actual numbers, no other legitimate claims can be made. For now: League of Legends is the most played video game in the world going by hours played per month (which is what their claim is based upon).
    From what I've seen Longview has been quoting numbers and citing sources all over this thread, yet on every page someone makes up excuses or fails to pick the bigger one out of 2 numbers. For now it seems pretty evident that Dota-Allstars is the most played game (at least in it's own genre) in the world by any common measure.

Unfortunate as it is, league is undeniably most popular game in the genre in NA and Europe and that is unlikely to change any time soon. And while it's not uncharacteristic of Riot to make baseless claims I'm having hard time following people who refuse to accept data that proves them wrong.

Deleted
    I played Rift for a long time. Great game, but I can never go back to it for one simple reason: horrible, robotic animations. I mean, holy crap my Warrior felt like he was fighting with a fun noodle even when I was decked out in Hammerknell gear. It was disgustingly sad. It's an absolutely crippling flaw to me, because no matter how good the game is, the melee just feels and looks weak as hell...now that I haven't played Rift in months, there's no way I could readjust to such shitfest animations. I would come back in a heart beat if they fixed those animations.
    its what put me off the game, i tried it when it first released, i just could not get comfortable with the controls and everything seemed so dark and gloomy. but mostly the controls put me off, though after playing WoW, every mmos controls have felt weird and clunky. GW2 has been the best movement and animations since WoW, but still dont seem quite as fluid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Well, it's commercial journalism. The game that wins isn't necessarily the best, just the one that received the most hype and/or handed out the most free goodies to the various publications.

That said, I don't feel any of the entries in the category are very strong. Torchlight 2 didn't do anything new, etc.
    I think by now most of us agree that official awards in the gaming (and most industries) are handed out based on how much cash you can flap around. Awards are, and have always been a joke...and any person who gives value to their selection is just an idiot.

Deleted
    Casting animations are cool, i like the fact i actually use my stave, or read my books whilst i cast

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I think by now most of us agree that official awards in the gaming (and most industries) are handed out based on how much cash you can flap around. Awards are, and have always been a joke...and any person who gives value to their selection is just an idiot.

the awards should really be based on the game, gameplay/story ect, not how much money it made or how many people play it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 01:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    Casting animations are cool, i like the fact i actually use my stave, or read my books whilst i cast

yeah that was kind of cool, its a feature ive always wanted to see in WoW to cast with my staff

If MoP or D3 gonna get anything I gonna piss myself with laughter, unless it's worst game of the year.

Deleted
    I agree, casting animations in Rift are excellent. But I don't like playing as a caster. And I don't like looking like a robot designed with an A.I. that simulates autistic human behavior, which is exactly how the melee animations look in Rift lol.

I said this at launch. I sent emails to Trion about it. I've talked about it in the surveys they've had me fill out. Rift's biggest, most glaring flaw is its melee animations and lack of fluid movement. If they would fix that, Rift would be the go-to MMO for fans of the genre.

why do so many mmo fail at getting movement and animations right? a lot ive played just dont have a smooth feel to them. its sad

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 01:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    If MoP or D3 gonna get anything I gonna piss myself with laughter, unless it's worst game of the year.

ive not played D3, but i wouldn't call MoP worst game of the year, not the best mmo either. best mmo for me this year was GW2. i see GW2 winning the mmo of the year, i dont think planetside will beat it (i hope not anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    why do so many mmo fail at getting movement and animations right? a lot ive played just dont have a smooth feel to them. its sad

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 01:41 AM ----------

ive not played D3, but i wouldn't call MoP worst game of the year, not the best mmo either. best mmo for me this year was GW2. i see GW2 winning the mmo of the year, i dont think planetside will beat it (i hope not anyway)
    Well animations are one of those tricky things. Eastern MMO's usually prioritize it but sacrifice depth of the game such as kill X quests instead of the more dynamic quests. It takes a considerable amount of time because you have to adjust for clipping issues too.

Also MoP is the same old same old wow. Nothing new. The standard quest to max level. Lower level zones become useless again, do dailys for rep, grind gear for raids. Grind raids for loot.

Deleted
    I am not sure why so many MMOs mess that up. It must be hard to replicate WoW's solid engine. Guild Wars 2 came very, very, very close. Overall GW2 feels great, not quite as good as WoW, but good enough. Other than that, every other MMO feels like you're either trudging through sludge or walking on a planet that's somehow covered in slippery soap, at least in comparison to WoW and GW2.

what ive noticed is most games cant do one thing that wow does. and thats turn around on the spot instantly. as in your're facing one way, and instantly turn 180degrees without moving or turning around slowly. i dont think even GW2 had that. you have to sort of turn around in a circle

D3 will not win the RPG award, and if it does I'll go kill myself ...

I absolutely hate how Mass Effect 3 Ended and the way they completely threw the entire series plot out the window and fucked everything up... But even STILL I have to concede that personal prejudice against the plot aside, it was a fantastic game and a brilliant RPG. I don't know about Torchlight but ME3 should definitely win the award LEAGUES in front of D3.

Other then that I don't really care about that much about the awards, this year was pretty lackluster in gamging.. Most of those GOTY titles I didn't play and the ones I did play I wouldn't give them GOY. So wait and see.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    what ive noticed is most games cant do one thing that wow does. and thats turn around on the spot instantly. as in your're facing one way, and instantly turn 180degrees without moving or turning around slowly. i dont think even GW2 had that. you have to sort of turn around in a circle
    I like how in rift whenever you look at someone your head turns and even when you are walking or mounted and moving away your head turns towards them.

Deleted
    i wonder if Farcry wins an award of sorts, i found it to be a very fun game, but has some flaws that i think need working out. they could have made so much more use of the map editor in the game. with a few new features to Farcry 3 it could be an amazing game with a lot of replayability, if they let users create maps for their own game types, and single player / co-op scenarios.

Few things I feel strongly abt are:

Mod.. Definately DayZ, I may not like it, you may not like it, but a lot of people like it

Rpg.. Torchlight will prolly gain most votes after people nerdraging with d3's connection "issues", mass effect shouldnt even be there for "pc gamer" and dark souls port was just horrible compared to console version so ye, not gonna happen..

GotY.. Again I dont know why ME3 is there for pc gamer, Planetside is too fresh still to lay judgement on. And the award comes down to if they decide while Walking Dead is awesome, if its long enough to be crowned the winner.. If they however feel like I do and think walking dead is just too goddamn short of a game for GotY, then Dishonored hands down

ESports.. Its a tough thing to judge.. LoL has the superior status cause it has millions and millions more players than any of the others, and the tournaments get huge views, Dota2 while was awesome by valve, its still too rare of a occurance in ESports to be taken seriously, maybe next year though. And then Starcraft while being hands down best ESports game of the 3, its prolly too hardcore of a game to really go past LoL, I mean just look at LoL player numbers and tournaments, SC2 has a tournament every week allmost but they get only 20k-50k viewers and LoL gets over 100k each time

But thats just how I feel abt it. And people prolly wont feel the same

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    I like how in rift whenever you look at someone your head turns and even when you are walking or mounted and moving away your head turns towards them.

does that in GW2 aswell i think, its a pretty cool feature that really helps with targeting in pvp, more games should do this. i didn't know rift done that as well, sounds like it does have some really good little features in it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 01:54 AM ----------

was the ME3 ending really that bad? ive never really that much of a fan of the games, but i always hear people saying how bad the ending was. was it really that bad where it ruined the entire game and caused such a big upset?

Deleted
    I wouldn't say that the ME3 ending was so bad that it ruined the entire game. It just made what could have been one of the ultimate gaming experiences an entirely forgettable and disappointing one. As I was playing ME3, I was in gaming heaven. I had an absolute blast all the way through. Up until the last 15 minutes of the game. It was so atrociously handled, so farfetched, so disappointing that it made me forget the rest of the game. I'm not even kidding. I don't remember Mass Effect 3 at all now, not a single part of it other than the last 15 minutes, and I don't like to think about it. To call ME3 a bad game is ignorant, because the rest of the game is pretty good. But when the ending is so atrocious that you want to forget the game exists...well, for some folks it ruined the game. For me, it just made me never want to play a Mass Effect game again.

what exactly happens at the end thats so bad? this is what im talking about, ive not played the game, and have no intention to, but i dont see how an ending can be that bad

Deleted
    Well I don't want to spoil it too much for other folks who may read this thread. You never know, someone could be playing through ME3 right now and about to reach the end lol. You could say that the ending feels really goofy and unrealistic, and the supposed "options" you have are pretty limited and lame. To top it off, when the game originally came out, the ending felt really rushed and short no matter which option you picked, and the options felt lazy and rushed. People were jokingly saying the only difference between the endings were some color differences. Do you like Red, Green, or Blue better? Would you rather see the 2 minute ending sequence with a blue overtone, red overtone, or green overtone? That's about it haha. YouTube around if you're curious, the difference in ending cinematics legitimately boils down to a 15 second difference in cutscenes and either red, green, or blue flashing lights.

i just watched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_A7SeawU4

was a good watch. i see now why people hated it.