Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gurv View Post
    I don't understand how he can still be in charge after the Cata fiasco.
    Because we live in the same world where George Bush can be voted into not just one, but two Presidential terms.

I say that as someone who honestly didn't mind Dubya as a person.

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    But what "bad" is there in them? If current dailies are "okay" by devs, then how an attunement that takes one evening of dedication is bad?
    One evening of effort? Sure, if you have 4 raid geared guildies at your disposal who enjoyed spending one night specifically getting YOU attuned. I doubt you were soloing a timed Heroic Shattered Halls run.

The single attunement that was longer is probably Hyjal, but you would've long done it anyway if you wanted to come there in suitable gear.
    And JFYI, we DO have an attunement right now in T14.
    Unless you started playing in the middle of TBC and realized you couldn't join your friend's BT guild unless you convinced 24 other people to waste an entire raid night to get you attuned.

Attunement was horrible not for you, but for the 4/24 other people who had to waste time to carry you through so you could brag about how easy the attunements were. The person being carried through an attunement run usually made out great and got lots of free gear upgrades in the process.

Yeah well, the devs have adamantly kept to their stance, when confronted about tabard rep. We like tabard rep, but they want us to experience content we otherwise wouldn't be interested in. I think it's really stupid. Back in Wrath I grinded rep with the tabards, yes, but I also did every daily area and progressed through them all. Because I was interested in them all. Those that weren't, well, they didn't do the dailies, because they weren't interested in them in the first place. Removing tabard rep is Blizzard acting like an angry mom, forcing her child to eat the vegetables before getting any dessert.

So yes, I think they are in a very odd place in their thinking right now.

The vast majority of players are ignorant of most mechanics and how stuff works in this game. However, there are an amount of people that know the game better than the people that make changes.

On the topic of attunement, I liked them but requiring a large group of people to complete them isn't the right way to go about it. It should be 5-man based at most, similar to the attunement for Tempest Keep.
    Last edited by Dald; 2012-12-11 at 06:54 PM.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Fucking 4pm est bring up of servers

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    back in the days of music being recorded on tapes and DVD's people didn't know they wanted a tiny machine that could store 100,000 songs that they could pull up at any time and in any order. Steve Jobs figured out that people would want that if they only knew they needed it. If it was not for that Apple would be bottom of the barrel comp system to this day.
    There were plenty of portable mp3 players prior to the ipod. Steve Jobs found a way to market the thing so folks paid attention, that's all. But I digress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by averykey View Post
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...87338077835264

.@CybranSpiderbot you don't get good games by just giving people what they ask for. Game design isn't just polling.

You don't get good games by giving people what they want in the game they play?

Anyone have opinions on this?

edit:

It's obvious Game design isn't just polling, a game designer needs to take ideas from the community and make them better and fit with the rest of the game, but a game designer also needs to make changes that make sense and make the game more enjoyable.

I really don't understand why this guy is a game designer, he seems big headed.
    No. I agree with him. If players get to point out everything they want, then the game might not cater to other players. I agree, you aren't supposed to be spoiled, get to work! A game must cater to -everyone- not just selected groups of people. If you were to follow the community all the time, where would the new feel be? The feel of awesomeness? If they were to follow the community and not have free hands / writing, would anyone have thought about the Wrath's Gate quest line? Would anyone have thought of Ulduar?

I just wish for players to hush already and let Blizzard use their skills, of course remember to give feedback about fights / Players - and let that be constructive feedback.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Who among the 10 million or something is this "player" you speak of?
    I was Once a Nab
    Then I rolled a Paladin
    Thats when I found out
    that I REALLY was a Nab

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Removing tabard rep is Blizzard acting like an angry mom, forcing her child to eat the vegetables before getting any dessert.
    Pretty much this. I could imagine 'Blizzard' as a corporate entity being captured in the image of a frustrated housewife, lecturing the playerbase/her kids;

"I spent all day slaving over this dinner (dailies), and for what?! So you can just eat what you like?!"
    To which i'd simply respond;

"Yep. If you force me to eat this dinner you cook (dailies) which I clearly do not enjoy, i'm still not going to like it. Why don't you just give me what I like (Rep tabards) and save yourself the trouble? My main bro Tim (Pro-Daily demographic of the playerbase) still likes what you cook though, so you can still give him the food, but you can't force me to like what Tim likes and force-feeding it to me is only going to make me resent you further; and don't say you're not force-feeding me, because if I don't eat this then I don't get what I actually like."
    Last edited by Austilias; 2012-12-11 at 07:00 PM.

"you don't get good games by just giving people what they ask for"
    Translation: Suck it, Casuals.

Replace the word "players" with the words "Personal ATM", and you'll have your answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Translation: Suck it, Casuals.
    I find it funny that you aim towards the casuals like that, because I bet it's also hardcores. (Example: Was mostly raiders that considered themselves Hardcore that whined about having to do dailies to recieve some bonus epic to make raiding a bit easier - The same group whom claimed that they had to do LFR to just be able to keep up with competition - even though normals has been done with rare and rep gear first. (Of course I don't aim at the whole player base, just out from what people write in posts))
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Translation: Suck it, cash cow.
    Here, fixed for you.

Thats the difference between riot and blizzard.. the moment they ask for something in the forums, they implement it to the game if it gets lots of likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Pretty much this. I could imagine 'Blizzard' as a corporate entity being captured in the image of a frustrated housewife, lecturing the playerbase/her kids;

To which i'd simply respond;
    Yeah, how dare they give us a reason to leave Orgrimmar.

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...87338077835264

.@CybranSpiderbot you don't get good games by just giving people what they ask for. Game design isn't just polling.

You don't get good games by giving people what they want in the game they play?

Anyone have opinions on this?

edit:

It's obvious Game design isn't just polling, a game designer needs to take ideas from the community and make them better and fit with the rest of the game, but a game designer also needs to make changes that make sense and make the game more enjoyable.

I really don't understand why this guy is a game designer, he seems big headed.
    If you gave players what they asked for:

Every class would be overpowered
    Every class would be nerfed
    Player housing would be implemented with no regard for the consequences
    Every class would be able to tank, self heal, and do max DPS
    Current raids would be soloable...the day of release
    Development time would be spent on revamping all of Outland for 60-70 leveling content, Wrath for 70-80, instead of new content.
    There would be no daily quests
    There would be more daily quests
    LFR wouldn't give loot
    LFR would give better loot
    There would be no restrictions to anything
    You'd roll max level characters without ever playing the game
    Upon reaching max level, you'd have raid ready gear in the mail
    Upon reaching max level, you'd have to grind for drops with no other access to gear

See where I'm going? You don't just give what people ask for because what players ask for is often contradictory to their own desires, or to others, and essentially what players want is not necessarily good for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, it takes something of an ego to be lead systems designer of a game that multi-millions of people play. There's a time and a place for 'big-headed' and this is one of them.

More to the point, you get good games by designing a good game and then get people to play it.

It's fine for people to have opinions about things but when a game gets to this size and has a large audience one will never get unanimity about much of anything. Personally, I think Blizzard listens a little too much to people to the detriment of the game at times. I think the quote is exactly right.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    Yeah, how dare they give us a reason to leave Orgrimmar.
    if what they put in to make people leave org was fun, they wouldnt get so many people complaining about doing it.

if it feels like a chore, people will complain that its a chore. to GC i say this; you want people to leave the instances, make fun, challenging content for them to do outside the instances. not a bunch of dailies with gameplay that Zynga would reject as being a bit too basic.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

I don't think that's true at all.

Take a look at these polls, players have an idea of what they want. The games designers just need to elaborate on existing ideas from players and themselves, and also improve old ideas.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rve-a-4th-spec
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ck-as-Warchief

I have seen lots of suggestions on the official forums and the mmochampion forums about how to fix cross realm zones.
    They're a lot of threads with bad feedback, but I don't see any ideas from the developers, it seems to me like they're ignoring the problems with it.

Developers need to share the ideas they have with the game to get feedback from the players.
    You examples are o.O When has GC came out and said "we will never, ever, add a 4th spec to another class as long as WoW exists"? Or are you expecting Blizzard start coding everything as long as something sounds like a cool idea? I think aerial/water combat is pretty cool. I think Mario kart style racing is pretty cool. I think new raid tier every month would be awesome. I think a more robust recruitment system will be great. I think new models and dancing studio is the best. I think adding another display options so people can toggle between skyrim graphics or the existing cartoonish graphics will be super awesome. Hell, I think adding a virtual world brain device so I can live in the WoW universe is pretty damn cool. *more cool ideas*. THESE BETTER BE IN 5.2!!!!!!! If not? GC better promise they will be added!!!!!! If not? GC better respond and give us daily updates!!!!!!!

Let's get real, not everyone likes every single "cool idea" that's on the forums. That's why there is even a debate on the forums. Just because a specific thing isn't being added in the next patch doesn't mean it is not in some future plan or being considered. To say GC's twitt suggests he doesn't listen/care about feedback is just -_- GC simply said good game design isn't polling playerbase and pulling triggers (which is something you stated yourself in the edit portion of your original post). So stop making a big deal of out your misinterpretation.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    if it feels like a chore, people will complain that its a chore. to GC i say this; you want people to leave the instances, make fun, challenging content for them to do outside the instances. not a bunch of dailies with gameplay that Zynga would reject as being a bit too basic.
    Ironically, I'm betting that the first step on their road to providing what you're talking about there is ... CRZ! Because that will enable zone population density to be controlled, so that interesting spontaneous group content (like in Rift or GW2) can be added.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"