Thread: Downtime

Downtime

As far as I know, nothing major is going in today. All raids have been released and patch 5.1 was just released. That being said, why is there 10 hours of downtime today, anyone know?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, no clue. They obviously have a reason though, that they haven't shared with us. Perhaps an upgrade of hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Nope, no clue. They obviously have a reason though, that they haven't shared with us. Perhaps an upgrade of hardware?
    Probably. Diablo has a 10 hour downtime too.

They have also been talking about some behind-the-scenes battle.net stuff that they are doing. Something about testing for potential future functionality. Could possibly be related to that.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Routine maintenance can sometimes run into problems that take longer than the expected time. It is also possible the 10 hour down time is an over estimation, just to cover their bases.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

I think they are replacing servers one by one with a new server with upgraded hardware, so they can slowly upgrade the whole system to be faster.

Transferring all the info from the old to the new server would probably take a while, and that doesn't count the time testing it out.

They could be doing more than one server today, hence 10 hours.