Thread: The Tribunal

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,164
    Even so, they might still have played their best game. Is there really any reason to belittle their effort?

  2. #42
    "gg" or "gg wp" is more a reflex than anything. People might say it sarcastically, they may say it honestly.

    There's more thought, and not good ones, that go into saying "gg easy" than simply saying "gg wp".

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Even so, they might still have played their best game. Is there really any reason to belittle their effort?
    I'm talking about the really bad games. When a team objectively (i.e. according to virtually everyone in the game) underperforms, saying 'wp' to me sounds ironic and remiss, a kind of self-aggrandizement along the lines of "we won, and we're even saying you played well, to dignify our victory and feel better about ourselves". I'm repeating a point I addressed earlier that no-one responded to, but have you ever noticed how 99% of the time the winning team says 'gg wp' while the losers say 'gg'? I mean come on, unless it was 5v4, the winning team is generally the one that outperforms the other team. In tennis the loser is the one doing the congratulating when he shakes the winner's hand. From a semantic perspective (that is, if said to mean what it does, not just as a void learned response), 'gg wp' from a winner constitutes the exemption of humility from victory, which I believe violates a tenet of the Summoner's Code. That's my interpretation.

    As the previous poster stated, they don't even actively think about saying 'gg' or 'wp' unless overwhelming anger inhibits them. I think that these phrases have become learned responses: if you win, say "gg wp", if you lose, say "gg" or nothing at all.

    For that matter, 'gg' has become symbolic and meaningless as well. Even though its counterpart, 'bg', is used from time to time, I doubt very many players think about how they use that one either. I'm not judging, but observing.
    Last edited by gamhacked; 2012-12-12 at 06:17 PM.

  4. #44
    I still don't get how some people can get banned that many times. I've been playing or 2 years give or take, with approximately 2k wins spread out on the various maps, and I've NEVER been banned. Sure, you can have a bad day and rage some, but still..
    "Life is like a bowl of soup. You only get blown if you are hot."

  5. #45
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,164
    That was not my question.

    Is there any reason whatsoever to belittle their effort?

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    That was not my question.

    Is there any reason whatsoever to belittle their effort?
    Saying 'gg' instead of 'gg wp' belittles nothing, and it's short and sufficient. Saying 'gg wp' to your team and nothing to your enemy is even better, unless you genuinely feel the enemy played well. But saying it unconditionally every time you win to me is a bit off.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    I'm talking about the really bad games. When a team objectively (i.e. according to virtually everyone in the game) underperforms, saying 'wp' to me sounds ironic and remiss, a kind of self-aggrandizement along the lines of "we won, and we're even saying you played well, to dignify our victory and feel better about ourselves". I'm repeating a point I addressed earlier that no-one responded to, but have you ever noticed how 99% of the time the winning team says 'gg wp' while the losers say 'gg'? I mean come on, unless it was 5v4, the winning team is generally the one that outperforms the other team. In tennis the loser is the one doing the congratulating when he shakes the winner's hand. From a semantic perspective (that is, if said to mean what it does, not just as a void learned response), 'gg wp' from a winner constitutes the exemption of humility from victory, which I believe violates a tenet of the Summoner's Code. That's my interpretation.
    Take a 'wp' however you wish to take it. The word is known to show sportsman-like behavior, and there is no reason to see it in any other way.

    If you however wish to become this paranoid loser that takes everything someone says as something bad, then hey, that's your problem.

    Also, lately the use of "gg", "wp" or "gg wp" is mainly to attempt to get a Honorable Opponent honor from your opponents 'because you showed sportsman-like behavior'

    The real dicks would just stick with "easy" or "gg easy" instead of trying to be condescending in a subtle fashion with stuff like "wp".
    Last edited by Still Rampant Rabbit; 2012-12-12 at 07:36 PM.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Take a 'wp' however you wish to take it. The word is known to show sportsman-like behavior, and there is no reason to see it in any other way.

    If you however wish to become this paranoid loser that takes everything someone says as something bad, then hey, that's your problem.
    I don't care what someone says at the end of a game. I wouldn't report someone if they said 'I hope you get cancer' or 'I hope your mother dies', I'd laugh because they're probably angry. Someone else brought up the issue of saying 'gg easy' as reportable; I'm saying anything is reportable and bannable if someone is offended and the report falls into the hands of like-minded people.

    I'm discussing how if you're going to add a 'wp' to that 'gg and if you don't use it right, either a) I don't see why you'd write something whose purpose and meaning you don't understand or b) someone might report you and you someone else might effect your ban through the Tribunal. Why? Because someone was subjectively offended at the end of a game and somebody who empathizes with them pressed 'punish'.

  9. #49
    "ggwp" is not a comment on the level of the game or your opponents. It is a show of sportmansship that originated in korea during the broodwar days. A game could be a complete stomp but you´d still write it because it´s polite. Saying "gg" does not mean you necessarily mean you thought it was a good game, you say it out of sportmansship just like you´d shake your opponents hand after any other competetive sport.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollspwn View Post
    "ggwp" is not a comment on the level of the game or your opponents. It is a show of sportmansship that originated in korea during the broodwar days. A game could be a complete stomp but you´d still write it because it´s polite. Saying "gg" does not mean you necessarily mean you thought it was a good game, you say it out of sportmansship just like you´d shake your opponents hand after any other competetive sport.
    If that were universally true you'd never see players say things like "GG? Are you joking? BG." or "WP? Yeah, sure.", because people read into these remarks when they lose.

  11. #51
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,164
    Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    If that were universally true you'd never see players say things like "GG? Are you joking? BG." or "WP? Yeah, sure.", because people read into these remarks when they lose.
    In all honesty, you're spouting bullshit and creating problems where there are none.

    You do not get banned for saying gg wp. You do not get banned for a whole bunch of stuff 'people' claim. The only thing that gets you banned is acting like a dickhead. No more, no less. One might also note the fact that the same people that tend to spout such non-sense are the same people that actually did get banned by the Tribunal. Maybe they could look at their own behaviour instead of finding external excuses where none apply.

    You can create all sorts of fantasy situations that make you feel better about yourself and paint the Tribunal as some unreasonable monster, but it's quite simple: acting like a normal, reasonably-well-behaved person will not get you banned. Period.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    You can create all sorts of fantasy situations that make you feel better about yourself and paint the Tribunal as some unreasonable monster, but it's quite simple: acting like a normal, reasonably-well-behaved person will not get you banned. Period.
    If you say so, architect of the Tribunal. I have faith your engine works just the way it should. Fair in everyone's eyes. Thanks for making things clear.

  13. #53
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,164
    You're welcome

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    If you say so, architect of the Tribunal. I have faith your engine works just the way it should. Fair in everyone's eyes. Thanks for making things clear.
    Several people have told you the same thing, you seem to refuse to believe it as it would force you to consider that your ban was, in fact, deserved rather than the injustice you claim

  15. #55
    Herald of the Titans Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warsaw
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    If you say so, architect of the Tribunal. I have faith your engine works just the way it should. Fair in everyone's eyes. Thanks for making things clear.
    I always say the same thing when I see someone raging over getting SO, SO unjustly banned: show our the cases you got punished on. Whenever they do so I magically uncover them spouting verbal abuse, leaving games, being assholes and generally toxic. Maybe you will be the first to prove me wrong about you, give it a shot.

    If I, and all of my friends and people I play with, managed to never get into tribunal over the years we've spent on this game then we might, just might, somehow be doing something right - and you might, just might, somehow be doing something wrong if you ended up in it thrice(four times actually, because you also got a warning before the three bans.) already. There's no such coincidences, you only pop up in tribunal after getting a multitude of reports. Having only 3 games in the case does not mean you only were reported by 3 people, the presented reports are a random selection from among the most recent ones(I'm quoting a red poster here, not just my impression of the system.).

    You do not get banned several times for nothing, or for bursting occasionally. That happens to everyone, this humble one included. You get banned for being an asshole.
    "Defending a position by citing free speech is the ultimate concession: you're saying that literally the most compelling thing you can say for it is that it's not illegal to express."

  16. #56
    The tribunal itself is a huge joke. The only people that vote on it are the guys who get mad after a game and feel like spamming punish on unsuspecting victims.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    If you say so, architect of the Tribunal. I have faith your engine works just the way it should. Fair in everyone's eyes. Thanks for making things clear.
    Funny how it's only an unfair system to those that have been punished by it.

    It's also funny how they then claim that it was undeserved and come up with petty excuses to feel better about themselves.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 11:33 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohr View Post
    The tribunal itself is a huge joke. The only people that vote on it are the guys who get mad after a game and feel like spamming punish on unsuspecting victims.
    Uh, yeahhh, no.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Funny how it's only an unfair system to those that have been punished by it.

    It's also funny how they then claim that it was undeserved and come up with petty excuses to feel better about themselves.
    Whatever man, you can't please everyone. I know I'm not a dick in my own circles, but this shit is relative. It just seems the people I play with in solo queue and dominion have different standards. If someone reports me for saying 'fu man' in a joking manner once during a game, fuck this shit, I don't want to be a part of this community anymore. When the most toxic player imaginable reports you and you're the one who gets banned because HE reported you, forgive me for having little faith in this system. I don't hold the average gamer in high regard, please excuse my condescension, but I am not okay with any schmo over 20 making these calls.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Several people have told you the same thing, you seem to refuse to believe it as it would force you to consider that your ban was, in fact, deserved rather than the injustice you claim
    You can read my case if you want, I included it in the first page. I believe with all my heart 2/5 were deserved, but that's it.
    Last edited by gamhacked; 2012-12-13 at 12:30 AM.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by gamhacked View Post
    Whatever man, you can't please everyone. I know I'm not a dick in my own circles, but this shit is relative. It just seems the people I play with in solo queue and dominion have different standards. If someone reports me for saying 'fu man' in a joking manner once during a game, fuck this shit, I don't want to be a part of this community anymore. When the most toxic player imaginable reports you and you're the one who gets banned because HE reported you, forgive me for having little faith in this system. I don't hold the average gamer in high regard, please excuse my condescension, but I am not okay with any schmo over 20 making these calls.
    People that deserve to get banned are not supposed to be pleased.

    Also, it's been said plenty of times already, but here it goes anyway. A single insult will not even get you close to receiving a warning, let alone a temp ban.

    Just keep your mouth shut if you don't know how to put things to words during your rage. It's better for yourself, the people around you, and thus, the whole match.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    People that deserve to get banned are not supposed to be pleased.

    Also, it's been said plenty of times already, but here it goes anyway. A single insult will not even get you close to receiving a warning, let alone a temp ban.

    Just keep your mouth shut if you don't know how to put things to words during your rage. It's better for yourself, the people around you, and thus, the whole match.
    I'm not talking about pleasing them, I'm saying people can report you for shit they have a problem with even though a normal person wouldn't mind. If you check my cases, one of them is in that file because a toxic player reported me when I did NOTHING wrong, and the other is there solely because of a single 'insult', so sorry to burst your bubble.
    Last edited by gamhacked; 2012-12-13 at 01:09 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •