Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Your chosen security software

I have been using a "Premium" version of AVG for the last 2 years since I have done work for a guy who works with the company and as a added bonus has been sorting it for me.. But its coming to an end next month so was just curious to know what you guys around the forum prefer to use & reason why you use "...."

Thanks

Deleted
    nod32, lightweight but still very effective in S&D and good prevention vs outside acces.
    also very affordable as a student ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I currently use Microsoft Security Essentials. Despite the flak MS gets, it's pretty good. I supplement with regular Malwarebytes scans.

before MSE it was Avast before that it was AVG.... seems like the best option changes too often for my tastes.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    MSE with Malwarebytes. They haven't let me down yet!

I use none... so far no virus or other issues. Then again I have never had a virus on my personal computers (laptops/PCs/etc) through the decades of computer use (DOS, Windows, etc). Then again... prudence is the key to the prevention of viruses. Knowing how to conduct oneself online and how to respond to potential threats and knowing to keep things updated (although I do these updates MANUALLY, not AUTOMATICALLY). That is the difference between a person who gets viruses often and one who never gets viruses.
    As I do not use AV software I do not need to worry about performance issues or other issues related to the use of software firewalls, AV, and other security products. I do keep a collection of software tools available in case of any potential issues, but mainly to help deal with issues on other people's computers... it is there if I ever do have an issue with my own computers.
    Goodness how many years since I last seen my computer crash...

Quote Originally Posted by The GameMaster View Post
    I use none... so far no virus or other issues. Then again I have never had a virus on my personal computers (laptops/PCs/etc) through the decades of computer use (DOS, Windows, etc). Then again... prudence is the key to the prevention of viruses. Knowing how to conduct oneself online and how to respond to potential threats and knowing to keep things updated (although I do these updates MANUALLY, not AUTOMATICALLY). That is the difference between a person who gets viruses often and one who never gets viruses.
    As I do not use AV software I do not need to worry about performance issues or other issues related to the use of software firewalls, AV, and other security products. I do keep a collection of software tools available in case of any potential issues, but mainly to help deal with issues on other people's computers... it is there if I ever do have an issue with my own computers.
    Goodness how many years since I last seen my computer crash...
    You sir are a baddass .

I use kapersky and it hasnt failed me yet. I used to use a copy of a DoD branded symantec from when I was in the military as a network admin but my liscensing ran out on it about 2 years ago lol.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    MSE

Think I may have Malwarebytes installed, I'll have to check.

No issues in a very long time, so hey. Still *knocks on wood*
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Paid Norton. I have seen it called the "Communist Dictator of security", but I don't complain. I feel safe^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Paid Norton. I have seen it called the "Communist Dictator of security", but I don't complain. I feel safe^^
    Last I heard Norton wasn't so good anymore, plus it is a RAM hogger. Obnoxiously expensive for doing the same crap free alternatives will do.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I really miss Blackice Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Last I heard Norton wasn't so good anymore, plus it is a RAM hogger. Obnoxiously expensive for doing the same crap free alternatives will do.
    Norton USED to be a memory hog until 2009. It is actually quite good and would be one of my top choices if I actually use AV software. Not a fan of how obtrusive it can be when your subscription runs out, but it is quite good and one of the most lightweight AV choices currently. Kaspersky is also one of my top choices as it has some of the best detection rates around, but it is a tad heavy on resource usage. For free solutions I can only recommend Microsoft Security Essentials... it is fairly lightweight with a decent detection rate. I do not recommend AVG or Avast anymore as AVG has gotten too heavy in resource usage and Avast is just too obtrusive. Also keep in mind if you are running Windows 8 it basically has MSE built into it now (it is now part of Windows Defender in Win8). I disabled that in my installation of Win8, but if you do not have a 3rd party AV software installed it will default to that instead on Win8. Malwarebytes is a great secondary scanner I can recommend if you think you got an issue. A non-resident scanner such as that is great compliment to a resident security product... just remember... DO NOT USE IT'S RESIDENT (AKA Paid/demo) VERSION! It basically acts as a AV solution and as such will interfere with existing AV software installed on your computer. You absolutely DO NOT want to have more than 1 resident scanning solution active on a computer. Thought I would add that to my comments.
    Last edited by The GameMaster; 2012-12-11 at 09:19 PM.

None. I use Adblock plus and noscript and don't download stupid things.

Deleted
    avg free, works fine don't have problems never had!

Using paid norton here, really good except when you download something with low reputation the file gets auto deleted for not being known in norton community. the issue only happened twice for me in the 2 years i have been using it.

I like my security software like I like my condoms: non-existant.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using Norton for 8 years now. Never had a problem with it, Also the whole ram hogging thing. It uses less ram then MSE does.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

Once again, Avast and Malwarebytes.
    It's all I need since I don't visit shady websites on my main OS. (Instead I use my virtual Ubuntu operating system for that.)

15+ Year Old Account
    I use MSE. Also Opera with Adblock.
    If you keep your other usual suspects (aka Flash, Adobe Reader, Java) up to date and don't click on any stupid stuff, this is enough. Also i use the Opera eMail client with text-only display as default, so it doesn't load any crap when you open an eMail.

On other anti virus programs:
    Currently the best are probably Kaspersky and Norton and i recommend them for people who don't know shit about the internet and computers and just want to be safe. GData is also very good (if not the best) in terms of detection, but it is slow as fuck. And by slow, i mean as slow or even slower as Norton was in their worst time.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Avira FreeAV
    Comodo Firewall
    Spybot S&D

F-Secure.

Never let down and never had any issues. Used it for the past 6 years or so.