Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    The difference is not that big as you describe lol. Expect the viewing angles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XeagoeNUJGw
    the difference in color is night and day, and is spotted almost immediately by almost everyone upgrading from a TN panel, even the video you linked shows clear color differences between TN and IPS

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Current monitors:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...-31556237.html
    http://www.amazon.com/HP-W19B-Widesc.../dp/B000IOM2WC

Perhaps I shall add that 21:9 LG Monitor to my Christmas list...Anyone who knows something about monitors, just how bad/out of date are the ones I'm using now?
    The second one is okay, but both are considered low resolutions and definitely are elders now. :P Not as old as CRT... but certainly aren't 1080p or the like. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Yeah, I knew they were out of date, was wondering just how bad hehe. I really should get a new monitor for Christmas but I can't go back to using anything other than two screens...Unless the 21:9 LG monitor is seriously large enough to run wow (compared to the monitor I run it on now, the first one linked, the second one linked is my secondary monitor) or other games in fullscreen and still able to be used as a second monitor (browsing on the other side) then I may just have to get one 21:9 and then something else, or just keep my current secondary monitor as that, and replace my primary one.

Question though, will I notice a drastic picture difference? And I imagine netflix would be fairly amazing on the 21:9 monitor.
    IPS is amazingly better than TN. Colors, everything, they are better.

I would actually say, go for the 21:9, if you really need the second browsing monitor - go for the 2560x1080+1440x900 setup. It might clash in how it looks, but it would still be pretty insane. I'm frankly, the more I think about it... more tempted to try that Dell 21:9... but I seriously need a better GPU first.
    "A flower.

The difference is not that big as you describe lol. Expect the viewing angles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XeagoeNUJGw
    The colour difference between IPS and TN is quite noticeable if you A/B them.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    The colour difference between IPS and TN is quite noticeable if you A/B them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7XNwbUYEM Clearly a difference but my TN monitor doesn't even give such a horrible quality as his tn one :/

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Monitor manufacturing lines are being driven by the needs of home theatre/cinema and game consoles. As long as you understand that, none of this should be a mystery.
    It's not mystery, it's just plain bad for desktop computer users who are doing more than just watching movies on the monitor.

It also does not explain to drop in quality (dropping perfect pixel warranty from all major manufacturers). Monitor manufacturers are simply after quick money, and they got already slapped a multi billion dollar fine for price cartels on CRT side. Wouldn't be surprised if the same happens on LCD side too.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i'll take three of them[COLOR="red"]
    That would be one epic eye-finity setup :P Should be close to total immersion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7XNwbUYEM Clearly a difference but my TN monitor doesn't even give such a horrible quality as his tn one :/
    I think that is also the difference in a glossy screen vs matte screen. His tn panel seems to reflect the light from something.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2012-12-12 at 09:36 AM.

Why would someone buy a 2560x1080p monitor for 1000$, when you can buy a 2560x1440p monitor for 700$. ( Or if you're going for the Korean monitors - 350$ ) ?
    Last edited by Nab; 2012-12-12 at 10:44 AM.
    Playing since 2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Why would someone buy a 2560x1080p monitor for 1000$, when you can buy a 2560x1440p monitor for 700$. ( Or if you're going for the Korean monitors - 350$ ) ?
    Dat epic expurrience? :P

I suppose the more I think about it the more I think this 21:9 thing sounds awesome and very immersing. Our eyes give us a wide panoramic view and monitors are still not too far off from slightly wide squares.

Also, there was a Dell variant of this 21:9, same size and all, that's only like $600-700. ;o
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    It's not mystery, it's just plain bad for desktop computer users who are doing more than just watching movies on the monitor.

It also does not explain to drop in quality (dropping perfect pixel warranty from all major manufacturers). Monitor manufacturers are simply after quick money, and they got already slapped a multi billion dollar fine for price cartels on CRT side. Wouldn't be surprised if the same happens on LCD side too.
    Consumers traded those for cheaper price. You can still pay more for 16:10 panels, pixel guarantees, longer warranties, panel uniformity, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    You can still pay more for 16:10 panels, pixel guarantees, longer warranties, panel uniformity, etc.
    In your dreams. If you walk into a computer store, those options simply do not exist.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    In your dreams. If you walk into a computer store, those options simply do not exist.
    There's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    probably because it's still a new thing on the market, and these panels arent in massive demand, costs more to manifacture a smaller amount. Either way, if they were OLED or PVA, i'd be all over them, but being IPS, i'd say they're generally made for professional applications and professional applications only. ( As in, applications that require a cinemascope of 21:9 )
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

If it's IPS, it's LG making the panels to begin with. (answering old line of discussion)
    I like 7:3 (21:9), but I'd be more likely get a 1440p monitor. Not that this wouldn't be awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    If it's IPS, it's LG making the panels to begin with. (answering old line of discussion)
    I like 7:3 (21:9), but I'd be more likely get a 1440p monitor. Not that this wouldn't be awesome.
    If the Dell one is indeed LG OEM, how come LG would still price theirs at $1k? O_o

I'm so confused.
    "A flower.

Well, all IPS panels are manufactured by LG.Display. All.
    I'm not sure how the intra-company deals are set up, contracts and whatnot.
    If Dell is indeed less expensive, I suspect Dell expects to sell more of theirs than LG expects of theirs. Larger quantities drives prices down. Et c.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's true, that's true.

$700 sure is tempting. >_>
    "A flower.

So first we went from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 and now we have gone from 2560x1600 to 2560x1440 to 2560x1080.. Must be wonderful to pay more for less room, but hey its new and shiny.

And people debating over IPS and TN, its hard to compare the 2 unless the monitors are otherwise identical and you see them side by side in a neutral enviroment, over the internet with a TN panel is not neutral. That said there is a difference and depending on how good your sight is.. its either substantial or not so much. For me personally its something that I'll prolly never buy a TN anymore. The difference in graphics is quite major, and I aint talking abt only gaming here..

I personally view 16:9, and 7:3 for that matter as an expansion of 8:5 rather than the other way around.

More horizontal space for the same vertical space. In other words, 2560x1080 is an expansion of 1920x1080, not a shrinking of 2560x1440, just like 1920x1200 is an expansion of 1600x1200. (I've only seen one monitor at 2133x1200 for 16:9 though, sadly)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually wondering if games actually support this resolution. O_o Is it just something that doesn't show up if your monitor can't show it?
    "A flower.