Thread: Backseat Mods

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Backseat Mods

Hi Guys

I find it frustrating how certain people on this forum feel the need to consider them self moderators and tell people off for posting in wrong sections, Why do the moderators allow this to take place ?

It is against the rules, you can report rule violating posts by clicking the small triangle to the lower right corner of every post. Clearly state what rule it violates or what part of a post is problematic and press submit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    It is against the rules, you can report rule violating posts by clicking the small triangle to the lower right corner of every post. Clearly state what rule it violates or what part of a post is problematic and press submit.
    I know pointing out trolling is a mod-duty that non-mods aren't allowed to do, but are other mod-duties like pointing out something is in the wrong forum really infractable as well? I know that some people (not all) point it out so that the OP notices and can pm a mod to move it into the correct forum.

Deleted
    It all depends on how you phrase it. "I'm not sure this fits here, as I believe you might be able to get more <help/interest/discussion> in <forum>." will be fine. "This should go in <forum>. Read the rules -.-." will not be fine.

Usual disclaimer: This post does not represent specific examples and does not constitute a guideline for posting. This post has no implication and serves as no precedent. Don't complain "but he said that this would be alright". All posts are judged based on context.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are probably just trying to be helpful.

Either way, it's not really a big deal. If someone is being unnecessarily harsh in their critic, they will probably be dealt with.

I know pointing out trolling is a mod-duty that non-mods aren't allowed to do, but are other mod-duties like pointing out something is in the wrong forum really infractable as well? I know that some people (not all) point it out so that the OP notices and can pm a mod to move it into the correct forum.
    Well, there is a fine line between giving a helpful tip and trying to enforce a set of rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Zoma, I hate to say it but... /woosh, right over your head. xD

@OP:
    As Treeston said, it just depends how you word it. :P There's a very noticeable line between being helpful and being a dick.

Well, beeing an ass, sould get you infracted while trying to be helpful shouldnt. Thats how i see it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've found it helpful when people point out existing threads like in Cinema/Music/TV/Books. There are a lot of threads and I sometimes forget if there is an existing one or not. As others have stated though, it's all how it's worded. Being rude is not acceptable.

I backseat mod all the time. Literally all the time, I did it this morning and Majad ended up closing the thread, check my recent posts lol.

But, in addition to posting I actually do report too.

I think some mods don't like it and some do. I remember one time in raids and dungeon section I said something, the thread got closed, and the mod said "please just report posts don't post too" and I PMed the mod and it was whatever. But it was like one of those controversial issues people like bringing up, like 10v25 or some shit. But like in video game forums it actually is easier to point out an existing thread so mods can just close it, I'm sure Edge and Sara Jane appreciate it. (But they're some of the cool mods *cough* shout out to conscript too.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

I think some mods don't like it and some do. I remember one time in raids and dungeon section I said something, the thread got closed, and the mod said "please just report posts don't post too" and I PMed the mod and it was whatever. But it was like one of those controversial issues people like bringing up, like 10v25 or some shit. But like in video game forums it actually is easier to point out an existing thread so mods can just close it, I'm sure Edge and Sara Jane appreciate it. (But they're some of the cool mods *cough* shout out to conscript too.)
    The problem with back seat moderating is that it derails a thread, it baits other people to derail it too and we really don't want that.

Even if a thread is obviously a troll thread or isn't allowed, because it breaks the forum's rules, it's still better just to report it instead of posting it to say "This thread/post isn't allowed", it's easier for us to see the problem and deal with it fast.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-12-12 at 07:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I've found it helpful when people point out existing threads like in Cinema/Music/TV/Books. There are a lot of threads and I sometimes forget if there is an existing one or not. As others have stated though, it's all how it's worded. Being rude is not acceptable.
    Absolutely. I'd say maybe 10 - 15% of my closures are because someone else noticed something about the thread or poster that I didn't. You guys really help us out sometimes with both the post reports and in-thread hints.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Redirecting you to the proper subforum doesn't sound like much of a transgression.
    u would be considered a backseat mod with ur unique title u feel ur so entitled dont u
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I backseat mod all the time. Literally all the time, I did it this morning and Majad ended up closing the thread, check my recent posts lol.

Blueobelisk has not made any friends yet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    u would be considered a backseat mod with ur unique title u feel ur so entitled dont u
    She was a mod.

I think we'll close this here. The feedback has been received.