How is it legal to sell products that dont work?

Im sure everyone has seen those ads on TV, at least if you are American, about how you can install a program that makes your PC and internet faster. I was like sure OK I will play their game. I install the software and after it runs tells me I have 300 registry errors and 1000 viruses or other forms of malware and in order to fix them I have to pay $25 or whatever to buy the product. Then I run Malwarebytes and it finds nothing. Ad-Aware finds nothing, Spybot S&D also finds nothing wrong with my computer. Also the only way to make your PC faster anyways is by buying a better CPU or overclocking the one you have and the same for internet, you cant make it faster unless you buy a better service. Also again Im sure everyone has seen those 3am commercials about how this pill will make your penis larger. I went to one of the top Urologists in the state about a kidney problem I was having today. People come in from all over the state to see him and it took me 5 months to get in to see this guy because hes that good. I jokingly asked him before I left about those products and he said If there was a way to actually make your penis larger hed be a billionaire and wouldnt be working.

So how is it legal to sell products knowing that they are deceitful and dont work? Maybe in other countries they dont have false advertisement laws but I know the US does. But you see 2-3 of those speed up your PC products being advertised and tons of male enhancement products. But neither of them work and anyone with any sense knows that. Also the male enhancement ones are using a guy's largest weakness to try and get him to spend a lot of money and thats his insecruity about his penis size. Im sure theres other products out there that also lie about what they can do but those are the two I thought of because I just saw a PC speed up commercial and I was just at my Urologist today. I dont see how its legal to steal people's money by selling them a product you know doesnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Im sure everyone has seen those ads on TV, at least if you are American, about how you can install a program that makes your PC and internet faster. I was like sure OK I will play their game. I install the software and after it runs tells me I have 300 registry errors and 1000 viruses or other forms of malware and in order to fix them I have to pay $25 or whatever to buy the product.
    Why would you do that?? Those are always malwares.

So how is it legal to sell products knowing that they are deceitful and dont work?
    Because it's good business apparently. Also there's like effectively no punishment in the United States (at least on a federal level) beyond the regulators wagging their fingers saying "no! bad! please please please stop airing this ad?"

Anything is legal until you get caught.

Spread the word about this company. Make sure their reputation gets so bad they go bankrupt. That's a far worse punishment for them than anything the government would do.

Most people know better than to buy anything off of 3 AM TV.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Deleted
    Synthaxx post is very correct.

There's a reason most products carry the label "results may vary" since, well, the products are often of questionable value. What may help some does nothing for others. If you can scientifically determine that something had some effect on something at some point during a validation testing and authentication administered by some form of official related association, it's theoretically not a scam.

General rule of thumb; Unless you're 100% certain a product WILL affect you positively for what purpose you purchase it, don't spend money on it hoping or trying. Just because it showed some results for someone during a testing stage does not mean it'll work for you. And at the same time, it's legal because they often hide behind the "results may vary" label which basically should scream to you, as consumer of said product, that it's not guaranteed to function as they may otherwise guarantee in large capital letters.

Have a good night! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    As for "you can only increase performance by upgrading or overclocking your CPU", this is incorrect. It depends entirely on the system. You could have the latest CPU, but if you lack sufficient amounts of RAM, a fast enough drive, and/or a bad GPU, then the benefits provided by the CPU are wasted. Even if the hardware is great, a new install of Windows can often give it a boost. My parents laptop is 6-7 years old, and was always a netbook. It shipped with Vista, and i upgraded it to 7 a few years ago. A few weeks ago, my dad mentioned it was slow. I'd already maxed out on hardware upgrades when i installed Windows 7 for them, so the other option was Windows 8. Surprisingly, performance increased by incredible amounts. It's now responsive, and that's not just because it's a fresh install, but because W8 requires less resources and so it's more efficient. The real difference only showed on my parents otherwise slow laptop.
    Yea but thats you going in and tweaking things or adding stuff like more RAM or a GPU. Its not their program thats fixing it. Also like I said why would it tell me I have tons of registry errors and malware when I dont just to get me to buy the product. That was my main point. They rig these thing to show you have all these error and of course an idiot who doesnt know anything about PCs is gona go "Holy crap I need to get all that fixed" and then buy the thing.

I once had a computer program that made cpu 1mhz faster. It actually made my 25mhz pc faster, it was easily noticeable in some programs.
    However there was an issue with it - it prevented sound cards from working. I didn't have a sound-card at first, but I tried running with 2 different ones and the program disabled them both each time.
    Anyway - long story short, software can make your pc faster, but I don't know how it did it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    Fineprint.
    This. That guy on the ad saying "my PC is 100% faster", well right under him in very small, probably grey on a lighter gray background it says "individual results may vary".

Also, dick pills don't actually advertise "Your dick will be bigger" they advertise "your experience will be enhanced" and, regardless of what the pill does, your experience will be enhanced, since you want it to be. (unless you're talking about internet "grow your junk" ads, then idk what laws apply to the internet.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    There's a reason most products carry the label "results may vary" since, well, the products are often of questionable value. What may help some does nothing for others. If you can scientifically determine that something had some effect on something at some point during a validation testing and authentication administered by some form of official related association, it's theoretically not a scam.
    Im just interested in what quack doctors they had back their product. Im sure I can take any product and twist the results and say it works. Hell why not use a bunch of pregnant women as your only test subjects and then market a pill that says "Can make Breasts larger" and show before and after pics of these women but obviously only show enough to where people cant see they are pregnant. Of course they are gonna go "Damn that works let me go buy some"

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Also, dick pills don't actually advertise "Your dick will be bigger" they advertise "your experience will be enhanced" and, regardless of what the pill does, your experience will be enhanced, since you want it to be. (unless you're talking about internet "grow your junk" ads, then idk what laws apply to the internet.
    Nah those infomercials where they have like 3 chicks and they all laugh about how sex is so bad with guys with little ones and that size does matter are working for a company making a product that says it will increase penis size.