I would like to see another Ulduar Style Raid

I was just watching my old guilds 10 man Algalon kill video from back in the day and was getting all nostalgic.

I would personally love to see another Ulduar style raid, where you engage the hard mode by performing some sort of specific action. For me Ulduar was the greatest raid since TBC and gave both the normal and heroic raiders something to do without having a toggle switch. Another great aspect of the instance was the unlocking of Algalon, which was a really unique and awesome encounter (I don't think we've seen a prettier boss encounter).

I know that blizzard loves their current normal/heroic raid model and probably aren't going to change things. However I would really love to see the reintroduction of Ulduar style hard modes at the expense of the heroic check box.

What do you think?

Video for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xok5VRMCVH4

Inb4 LOL NOSTALGIA TAKE OFF UR ROSE TINTED GLASSES NOOB

But seriously, I think certain concepts then were great, but sadly the majority don't like the idea of working to get what they want(unlocking a boss) and they feel like tey should e handed everything and not have to work their asses off to see a special encounter.

I very much agree that adding something along those lines is a fantastic idea, it's the next best thig to having one mode for raiding, and it always being "heroic mode"
    F
    This games player base will not let it happen because the outcry that "special snowflakes" are ruining the game by getting exclusive content, when in reality, the content is there for everyone, you just have to put in some effort to get it.

No content has ever in the history of the game, has locked a single person out that just dedicates some time and effort.

I went from being a noob, to being in a guild working through BWL, then after a while we started on Naxx, then following that with TBC, I was in top guilds and gear because of my experience.

Anyway, I got way off track, my point is, little things like that are awesome for sure, but te majority here will always win, and will always feel entitled to get everything without trying.
    Last edited by Joeydivision82; 2012-12-12 at 03:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    arent they going for that in 5.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really do like ulduar too, though the fact that I've started raiding late wotlk but everytime I go back to it specially in cata is still awesome, but anywho blizz promised a lengthy sized and an epic raid such as ulduar and icc in 5.2 so might aswell get me resubbed since in cata we had no lengthy raid and the longest was 8 bosses that is DS...

Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    I went from being a noob, to being in a guild working through BWL, then after a while we started on Naxx, then following that with TBC, I was in top guilds and gear because of my experience.
    You skipped AQ and ZG.

Ulduar was great, probably the best and most polished raid in game. But we'll never see something even near its greatness. Ever. Blizzard can try, but there was some serious "magic" going on with Ulduar. It was a one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    You skipped AQ and ZG.
    No, I just didn't think it was necessary to list every raid.

ulduar was the last raid to show signs of actual effort from the design team.

I just want to see a new raid that makes you go "wow" even just from walking around. fights aside, ulduar was an incredibly well made raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good news everyone!

"Patch 5.2 is coming Soon™ and will include a large and more traditional raid tier. It has been a while since we had a raid zone that was as large as Ulduar or Icecrown Citadel. Blizzard will talking about what will be in it and how many bosses soon!" - home page of this website

I agree, those kinds of raids are the most fun
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

icc was good too the 4 weeks with only 4 bosses then 2 with 3 more then 2 with 2 more then 2 with the last 3 was not. and the need to kill LK before HM was just all bad.
    ulduar had the issue that only one new higher level gear dropped so is never felt like the HM was worth it unless you wanted server first but the even on day one you could try HM

but now in 5.2 you can have say 10 bosses all with normal and hard then for 5 of them a elite mode too just like ulduar then at the end of it all a 11 only HM boss that is 100% not the same for 25 man and 10 man like 2 truly different fights. i think a set up like that could win as the best raid tier of all time.

I'm about 200% sure I saw a blue post a few weeks about about the 5.2 raid, and they said it was going to be ulduar style. I'll try to find the post.

@Asmodias Yeah makes me sad too. But the size will be nice, I myself love raids with more bosses vs. more raids with less bosses.

Deleted
    Protectors in TES says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    That blue post was mentioned in a post above yours. Unfortunately, it states that they are looking to make a raid that is the size of Ulduar and/or ICC. This doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be styled after Ulduar. Of course, that makes me sad.
    You are sad because you have no idea if it will be modeled after Ulduar? Strange reason to be sad.

OP - they did a boss similar to Algalon in T11. Ulduar was not the only raid where the final boss was unlocked and only seen by a vast minority of the raiding playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    arent they going for that in 5.2
    Yes. /10 Characters

Quote Originally Posted by Joeydivision82 View Post
    I
    Maybe people don't want to have to play a game for 2 years before they can see the content?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    I was just watching my old guilds 10 man Algalon kill video from back in the day and was getting all nostalgic.

I would personally love to see another Ulduar style raid, where you engage the hard mode by performing some sort of specific action. For me Ulduar was the greatest raid since TBC and gave both the normal and heroic raiders something to do without having a toggle switch. Another great aspect of the instance was the unlocking of Algalon, which was a really unique and awesome encounter (I don't think we've seen a prettier boss encounter).

I know that blizzard loves their current normal/heroic raid model and probably aren't going to change things. However I would really love to see the reintroduction of Ulduar style hard modes at the expense of the heroic check box.

What do you think?

Video for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xok5VRMCVH4
    perhaps you've missed the information about 5.2...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.