Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] Should intermissions return to movies (longer ones at least)

Remember when some movies used to have intermissions (stage plays still do) with a nice 10-15 minute bathroom break for the audience and to restock on concessions if needed, plus allowing them to dwell upon what they just saw.

I think it could honestly work well with extremely long movies that end up around 2-3 hours long (any shorter and there really shouldn't be).

Because honestly there are so many times in long movies I am sitting there needing to pee really bad but by the time I have to pee it's at least an hour and a half or more into the movie and that's where most movies really pick up their pace. Plus there are tons of theaters that do 'Free refills on larges' and while 99% of the time I never need a refill (only time I did was when I was sharing a large with a bunch of people, heck I never get larges unless I am sharing with lots of people) and when I do, nobody wants to get up and miss out on the movie (unless it completely blows, which then I probably would just flat out leave) to go get more concessions.

I think it would be fairly productive and while it adds 10-15 minutes to an already long movie, it adds a lot of convenience to it, plus everybody at some point has experienced going into a long movie and sitting there needing to pee badly but cant because they don't want to miss anything.

It would work really well in my opinion and most movies could use a nice break point to leave the audience in added suspense after a big plot twist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, might not be a bad idea. Got annoyed when I saw The Dark Knight Rises and I suddenly had to take a piss halfway through.
    Putin khuliyo

Would love it, but would likely only happen if they are making more money from concessions during that period than they lose by extending total film time. Its a possibility...

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the movie. It should happen if it is too long like for example in Dark Knight Rises

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talia stabs Batman and at that point makes a big reveal or when Batman finally comes back to Gotham, pinnacle points aren't the best for Lolintermission
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Would be a good idea. I think the only time I've been to the cinema and there's been a break is when I saw Lotr. Must be 10 years ago now!

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree!

I normally see movie's on the Thursday morning, the day of release. I sneak them in before I start work. Films can typically start 20 to 30 minutes after the scheduled time, and while I love seeing movie's. I don't want to spend any more time then I need in a Cinema.

Hell no. I don't want to have my immersion ruined and have to spend even longer at the theater because people can't control their bladders. Go to the bathroom before and don't drink a gallon of liquid during. If you have actual bladder issues or incontinence, I feel bad for you, but you can't expect the world to bend around your frequent need for breaks.

It's already annoying enough that people don't have the attention span to just sit the fuck down and watch the movie instead of talking the whole time. I certainly don't need any more needless bullshit happening to further destroy the only reason to go to a theater (immersion).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenbrew View Post
    I disagree!

I normally see movie's on the Thursday morning, the day of release. I sneak them in before I start work. Films can typically start 20 to 30 minutes after the scheduled time, and while I love seeing movie's. I don't want to spend any more time then I need in a Cinema.
    Well first theaters should work on showing movies on their scheduled time (they usually do, mine does at least, but the start time means when the trailers start, so take that into consideration).

And honestly, there are tons of times to see a movie so you just pick a time when you are free.

---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 05:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kittycuddler View Post
    Hell no. I don't want to have my immersion ruined and have to spend even longer at the theater because people can't control their bladders. Go to the bathroom before and don't drink a gallon of liquid during. If you have actual bladder issues or incontinence, I feel bad for you, but you can't expect the world to bend around your frequent need for breaks.

It's already annoying enough that people don't have the attention span to just sit the fuck down and watch the movie instead of talking the whole time. I certainly don't need any more needless bullshit happening to further destroy the only reason to go to a theater (immersion).
    You could say the same for a live play (intermissions there), and movies used to have intermissions, and technically commercials in a TV show are a more frequent and annoying forms of intermissions.

I am not suggesting this for all movies just the big 2 and half to 3 hour marathon movies.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really. If you know the movie is long, come prepared. Even the time your showing is supposed to start, you have 10 minutes of previews and commercials and "thank you for choosing such and such" stuff to get through before you even see the logo at the start of the movie. More than enough time to handle your business. Intermissions would get very annoying if you don't have to go. Now for marathons like "All lord of the rings" and "original trilogy of Star Wars" type deals, yea, but it doesn't NEED an intermission, because I believe they do have the credits rolling after each film is over. That is your intermission. (Not sure, haven't been to anything like that, yet).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be a good idea of movies were designed to have a break point in them that would help support this. For example halfway through the movie on no the villain got away in a moment of suspense and now the hero has to regroup. Sounds like a good spot to take 5-10 if needed. You got that burst of action or interest that you can talk with your friend next to you about while waiting or go use the restroom etc. I can actually see this as a concession increase with sales. Especially if it was like a midmovie sale candy and soda refills 50 cents off or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    intermissions can be used as a narrative device to demonstrate the passage of time, and its a chance to play the overture again, if you actually have one worth hearing

time to go watch Lawrence of Arabia

I wouldn't want intermissions. Maybe if the movies had like assigned seats but it seems like a hassle to have to leave my stuff when it could get robbed, or to bring my stuff and have my good seat get stolen. I also don't want to have to wait for people to be moving in and out of rows. (Although my step dad and sometimes my Mom just CANNOT hold it and leave in the middle of a movie to go to the bathroom. I always can hold off, though.)

no way! I wont give my freaking seat neighbour a chance to refill his popcorn which was destory already the first half of the movie for me.

Depend...s

No really

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    They most definitely should. Longer movies are great (depending on quality, of course) but I could always use a break about half way through.

Deleted
    would love it to, i hate it when im at a movie and really need the toilet, gotta try and pick the best time to go without missing anything too important. and i usually finish my drink 30mins into the movie, would love a quick 10mins to grab another drink

Well... what's stopping individual theatres providing an intermission? They could if they thought it was something people wanted. I dunno if many people would.

You should really take a piss before the movie starts though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well... what's stopping individual theatres providing an intermission? They could if they thought it was something people wanted. I dunno if many people would.

You should really take a piss before the movie starts though!
    i drink a lot of water, i always go before the film, but on some really long film i need to go again, i usually just hold it, but sometimes i have to miss part of the movie, and annoy everyone else by shuffling down the isle to get out.
    and i dont really know the reason they dont do it, i guess most people wouldn't want it, people just wana sit down and watch it uninterrupted. or maybe its because they wouldn't be able to show as many films in the day if they had a break. but they would still make some money from it, people buying more food/drinks

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i drink a lot of water, i always go before the film, but on some really long film i need to go again, i usually just hold it, but sometimes i have to miss part of the movie, and annoy everyone else by shuffling down the isle to get out.
    and i dont really know the reason they dont do it, i guess most people wouldn't want it, people just wana sit down and watch it uninterrupted. or maybe its because they wouldn't be able to show as many films in the day if they had a break. but they would still make some money from it, people buying more food/drinks
    I drink water/soda and snacks during a movie, and long ones usually have me running out quickly for a bathroom break, and most movie plots can tolerate that kind of "missed time". Recently, however, for reasons unbeknownst to me, I did nothing different and was able to sit through an almost three hour movie without a break (drinking the same amount of soda/water as usual). Lucky for me, too, because the movie was Cloud Atlas, one which bodes no missed time during it's plot development.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i dont really have a problem with long movies. 2-3 hour movies dont really bother me, but i havent went to a lot of 3+ hour movies. most of them average 2 to 2 1/2 hours long.

that being said, this past weekend our local movie theater did a replay of the orignal lotr trilogy but with the extended versions. so each movie was roughly 4 hours long. granted there was about a 45 min break in between movies, a short 10 min break halfway thru those movies i could have justified.
    Last edited by dokilar; 2012-12-13 at 04:03 AM.