Large Scale Battle Games

Right then...recently I have developed a new urge that needs satisfying -Large scale battles.

SO then with that being said, does anyone know of good games where you can directly be involved in a large scale battle. Now when I say that I mean something Like Mount & Blade, Dynasty Warriors and Viking: Battle for Asgard.

Something akin to this (battle starts at 1:10)

so, anyone know any?

Spartan: Total Warrior maybe... it's from the same guys who did Viking.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does it get any better than Mount & Blade? I have spent tons of hours on that game just because of the huge battles.

Though I would say Planetside 2 has probably the largest battles I've ever seen in a game. I can't think of another game that even comes close to rivaling the scale of the battles and the world. It's an FPS, so its quite different from Mount & Blade, but it's also free and amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerilius View Post
    Does it get any better than Mount & Blade? I have spent tons of hours on that game just because of the huge battles.

Though I would say Planetside 2 has probably the largest battles I've ever seen in a game. I can't think of another game that even comes close to rivaling the scale of the battles and the world. It's an FPS, so its quite different from Mount & Blade, but it's also free and amazing.
    The only one that I know of that comes close in the MMO world from time to time is EVE Online. Some of the largest fleet fights have involved a 1000+ ships, with ships involved usually ranging from faster and smaller ships, powerful battleships, larger capital ships, all the way up to the colossal super capitals known as Titans.

Becoming part of those takes quite a bit of time and dedication, whereas a game like Planetside 2 allows for more of a jumping right in to big battles approach.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can try Planetside 2 if you like FPS. It is somewhat chaotic with the zerg if you like that.
    Question is if you like FPS.

I don't mind 'em, though medieval stuff is usually my preference, I'm thinking of waiting till I get my new computer before trying Planetside 2 but 'was hoping there was something not to old/dated that conveyed the large scale epic battles that Viking and MB do.

Deleted
    Well, if you want to get directly into the action, then I guess Mount & Blade is your best bet.

There are also some strategy games that do large scale battles well, like the total war series.

EDIT: 99 nights would be a good one if you are a fan of dynasty warriors, I played a demo of 99 nights 2 and it seemed to do the huge battles thing really well.

EDIT 2: Almost forgot, no idea when this is out, but I loved the other games in the series

Last edited by mmoc2aff718493; 2012-12-12 at 07:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Total War SHOGUN 2 has "large scale" battles, though it's set in feudal Japan rather than Europe. Still, it has most of what you're probably looking for - potentially thousands of soldiers on the field, sieges, formations, etc etc etc.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

If you want to be 'involved' in the actual battle like how you were in M&B and KuF, then maybe 'War of the Roses'? I've not played it but I hear it is pretty fun, although team deathmatchish in armor with swords.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    If you want to be 'involved' in the actual battle like how you were in M&B and KuF, then maybe 'War of the Roses'? I've not played it but I hear it is pretty fun, although team deathmatchish in armor with swords.
    It's not large scale though, which is what he is looking for. Best bet right now is to either stick with M&B until M&B2 comes out or try Planetside 2 if you don't mind sci-fi/FPS.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    It's not large scale though, which is what he is looking for. Best bet right now is to either stick with M&B until M&B2 comes out or try Planetside 2 if you don't mind sci-fi/FPS.
    Ok, I wasn't sure how large-scale it was. My mistake then.

Deleted
    Singleplayer:

Total war- series (RTS)
    Command and conquer 3 or Red alert 2 (RTS) dont get 4 tho. Older games are bit smaller due..well not being able to render 100 stuff in screen so easily.
    Usually most RTS games

Multiplayer

Guild wars 2 (WvW, altho you wont see large large battles at same place more like 20v20 mashing door)
    Planetside 2 - watch this video http://youtu.be/--aHR1OR3lM?t=1m35s to get some idea of scale
    EvE online - one server only so go figure out rest. Learning curve tho..
    Battlefield 2, 1942, 3
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2012-12-12 at 10:06 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

WWII MMO, though the biggest draw back from most people playing it, are the graphics, they are dated but the cool thing about it is its 1/2 scale of europe. it could literally take you like 2 weeks in real time to run the entire map. and it looks to be free to play now which might attract some potential players.

Total War serie is all about large scale battles, though you controll the whole army not just one dude.
    Do you hear the voices too?

I wish Spartan: Total Warrior worked on the 360. I may collect a few games that are not compatible and buy myself an original Xbox.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post

WWII MMO, though the biggest draw back from most people playing it, are the graphics, they are dated but the cool thing about it is its 1/2 scale of europe. it could literally take you like 2 weeks in real time to run the entire map. and it looks to be free to play now which might attract some potential players.
    They're also pushing to get this on steam VIA greenlight so make sure to vote!!!!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syce View Post

I spent a lot of time playing this, it's very fun if you're into that sort of thing. It's intense in a similar way to DayZ, where you could die at any moment. You never know exactly where the enemy is; crossing the street could be the last dash you make.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like mount and blade you should check out Chivalry. Not the largest of scale battles but the multiplayer is satisfying similar to M&B.

Already have Chivalry :P

I assume you've already done M&B Warband+the Battle Size changer mod then? (for even larger battles!)
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance