Has equality gone too far?

After filling out a job application for a part-time job recently, I noticed at the very back page, it asked me to fill in my religious beliefs, whether I was Protestant or Catholic (It's a big thing where I am from), my skin colour, and my nationality. Fair enough I thought, but what was said at the bottom really irked me. "This information is only required to ensure equality is kept during the analyzing of this application." Surely this information does the exact opposite. If a man who is a different religious belief or skin colour to me, yet have the exact same or worse qualifications get the job over me, just so there is a minority working in the store? Surely this is inequality to the standard white British person?

Deleted
    None of that information will be taken into consideration, they simply use it to make sure they are getting a diverse selection of applicants. You're totally within your rights to not fill it out.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    If a man who is a different religious belief or skin colour to me, yet have the exact same or worse qualifications get the job over me, just so there is a minority working in the store? Surely this is inequality to the standard white British person?
    If that's what they are doing. But there is no affirmative action in Britain, so no. Most likely it's just what tommypilgrim says.

No it hasn't, and you're fine. And because there will be people who are going to knee-jerk. I'll repeat what Semaphore said:

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    If that's what they are doing. But there is no affirmative action in Britain, so no.

Deleted
    Protestant or Catholic (It's a big thing where I am from)
    Glasgow?

Or N. Ireland?

weighing the balance

...When the rights of the minority become the majority, what happens to the majority and who becomes the minority?
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    After filling out a job application for a part-time job recently, I noticed at the very back page, it asked me to fill in my religious beliefs, whether I was Protestant or Catholic (It's a big thing where I am from), my skin colour, and my nationality. Fair enough I thought, but what was said at the bottom really irked me. "This information is only required to ensure equality is kept during the analyzing of this application." Surely this information does the exact opposite. If a man who is a different religious belief or skin colour to me, yet have the exact same or worse qualifications get the job over me, just so there is a minority working in the store? Surely this is inequality to the standard white British person?

When the rights of the minority become the majority, what happens to the majority and who becomes the minority?

how can equality go too far? then it wouldnt be equality, now, would it?
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

The problem isn't equality is going to far, it's that asking someone what race they are for the express purpose of discriminating isn't equality.

Why did someone (post #6, who made his first post and his account today) bump a 4 month old thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Since the OP is banned and this thread is pointless, I think we can close this necro