Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rep Tabard Idea...

Since Blizzard doesn't want players farming randoms for reputation, but is apparently thinking about giving a once a day reputation boost of some sort, I thought I would throw in my idea and see what people thought

Tabard of the Klaxxi
    Binds to Battle.net Account
    Equip: not sure yet...
    Use: You champion the cause of the Klaxxi. All reputation gains while in level 90 Pandaria dungeons will be applied to your standing with them for 1 hour (12hr Cooldown, shared with similar tabards)

1 hour rep boost every 12 hours, or essentially for the first 2 or 3 randoms everyday for the average player. Wont necessarily solve the...err...problem?...of only obtaining charms from dailies, but its a start

What about:
    - Daily quests that sends you to do a random dungeon or scenario
    - Tabard that works until (for example) honored
    - Tabard that on use give boost to reputation received for an hour
    - Tabard that works as the Wrath/Cata one but with a limited coefficent, so doing dailies is a much faster route
    - Weekly quests instead of dailies (that would work really fine for people like me)
    "staph whinning kid if u dont like pvp go to a potato pve server so u can play against bots" -Armiger

Quote Originally Posted by Zachysaurus View Post
    1 hour rep boost every 12 hours, or essentially for the first 2 or 3 randoms everyday for the average player. Wont necessarily solve the...err...problem?...of only obtaining charms from dailies, but its a start
    They already said that won't happen and goes against what they said. They said if anything it'll be the first dungeon of the day, but looks like they may be going with first scenario of the day.

I think you missed the point of Blizz's response. They don't want you gaining rep by doing nothing related to the rep.

Now wearing certain tabards in dungeons that relate to the rep - that would at least follow what they are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    I think you missed the point of Blizz's response. They don't want you gaining rep by doing nothing related to the rep.

Now wearing certain tabards in dungeons that relate to the rep - that would at least follow what they are saying.
    No it wouldn't, what they were getting at was that slapping on a tabard, doing instances totally unrelated to the faction, all the while getting rep was what they wanted to get rid of, people only changed tabards and then continued grinding heroics when one faction hit exalted, so they could do the same with another faction, dailies (though tiresome after a while) at least represent work done directly for the particular faction you're getting rep with, and allow Blizz to put in regular quests at certain rep levels that tell a story related to the faction.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    No it wouldn't, what they were getting at was that slapping on a tabard, doing instances totally unrelated to the faction, all the while getting rep was what they wanted to get rid of, people only changed tabards and then continued grinding heroics when one faction hit exalted, so they could do the same with another faction, dailies (though tiresome after a while) at least represent work done directly for the particular faction you're getting rep with, and allow Blizz to put in regular quests at certain rep levels that tell a story related to the faction.
    I don't understand your post. Sounds like you are saying the exact same thing I did. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Deleted
    You definitively missed the point Blizzard is trying to make.

They want you to get to know the faction you are helping. In other games, this would be called "immersion". But, since the average WoW player has an attention span of 37 seconds and is not interested in reading more than 2 lines of quest text, this is quite tricky.

Their game, their rules

So, lets say you can get 1500rep with doing dailies for that one faction, it takes the average player about 30minutes to do them.

Then you take a faction quartermaster, give him a quest that asks you to kill xyz in a related instance (the Klaxxi > Gate o/t Sun, Shadopan > SPM, etc etc etc.) When you accept that quest you get a tabard you have to equip that gives you 10rep per mob you kill and 250 for every boss you kill in that instance (fictional numbers is fictional).
    The tabard has a limit of 1250 rep for a day, resets @ 00:00, but the trick is once you pick up the tabard you can't accept any daily quests anymore that day from that faction (and vice versa, when you hand in your first daily you become ineligible for the quest/taberd).

In this case ppl like me whom really really hate the dailies from some factions still get to get rep, get some VP/charms en get exalted in the end with said factions, it only takes 20% more time.

for me (and some others i know) this would be the perfect middle ground, like i really hate the klaxxi dailies with a passion and i would be totally happy getting exalted a week later then someone who grinded out the dailies.
    On the other hand, SPan/AC/Serpent riders i find amusing and i would choose the dailies from them over doing a dungeon for rep anytime.

Might work if it was for Klaxxi-relevant dungeons only. Why should the Klaxxi give a shit about what you're doing in just any level 90 MoP dungeon? That was always one of my main gripes with tabards, aside from trivializing the entire system of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    Might work if it was for Klaxxi-relevant dungeons only. Why should the Klaxxi give a shit about what you're doing in just any level 90 MoP dungeon? That was always one of my main gripes with tabards, aside from trivializing the entire system of course.
    That's the general idea..
    For instance
    Order o/t Cloud Serpent > Temple o/t Jade Serpent
    Klaxxi > Gate o/t Setting Sun or Siege of Niuzao Temple (both mantid inhabited instances)
    Golden Lotus > Mogushan Palace
    Shado-pan > Shado-pan Monestary
    Tillers > Stormstout Brewery
    Black Prince > Double dip on the mobs you kill now anyway doing your Klaxxi dailies, there are plenty of them in Mogushan palace.

For AC/Offensive i don't have a direct tie in to an instance, but tbh those dailies are not all to difficult/long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    The faster people comes to terms with that factions are separate from dungeons, the better.

If anything? Finishing a Scenario gives you an option of recieving one commendation of choice, each give 100 reputation. Max three per day.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Tabard rep has been a mistake from the start. They should have always been a mark of honor for getting exalted and not a method by which to GRIND to exalted. I would love it if ALL tabards would be moved to exalted only and remove the city tabards. You want to get exalted with Alliance or Horde cities? Go quest through their zones like the good ole days.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachysaurus View Post
    I don't think it's a fully suitable solution.

Personally, I like the idea of a BoA Exalted Tabard that simply acts the way Wrath and Cata tabards did. Makes rep grinding for your alts much easier....albeit mindless.

Much better for them to:

1: not make the rep grind so mandatory for so many people. VP gear did NOT need to be locked to be locked behind rep and Blizzard has more than enough potential rewards - pets, mounts, tabards, recipes, vanity and fun trinkets, heirlooms, BoA gear, the story and more - to reward players getting to revered and exalted.
    2: Make the rep grind more varied. Keep the dailies....but add daily dungeon quests. Have MoBs give a small amount of rep. Create an appropriate drop from a MoB and/or dungeon boss. Allow rep gain from scenarios.
    3: Add in an option for weeklies. Maybe 5 times the rep but locks you out of daily rep gain for 7 days.

EJL

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always felt the tabard should work the same way they used to work, however it should require exalted to buy the tabard, so you had to do it via dailies at least once on a character. After that, your main that ground up the rep could buy the BoA tabard and mail it to your alts, and it'd be like "Hey guys, he's with me. He's cool!" and then you could just get rep from doing dungeons and crap in addition to dailies.

However, with the +100% rep bonus from hitting revered, meh, prolly not such an issue anymore.

[EDIT] And having posted, I see the previous poster basically said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    I always felt the tabard should work the same way they used to work, however it should require exalted to buy the tabard, so you had to do it via dailies at least once on a character. After that, your main that ground up the rep could buy the BoA tabard and mail it to your alts, and it'd be like "Hey guys, he's with me. He's cool!" and then you could just get rep from doing dungeons and crap in addition to dailies.

However, with the +100% rep bonus from hitting revered, meh, prolly not such an issue anymore.

[EDIT] And having posted, I see the previous poster basically said the same thing.

No worries. I completely agree. Those of us who got the Ambassador title by actually questing through zones can appreciate the rep gained and the tabard we wear

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    Tabard rep has been a mistake from the start. They should have always been a mark of honor for getting exalted and not a method by which to GRIND to exalted. I would love it if ALL tabards would be moved to exalted only and remove the city tabards. You want to get exalted with Alliance or Horde cities? Go quest through their zones like the good ole days.
    Sure, I'll go quest the Goblin/Worgen zones as a non-Goblin/Worgen that didn't do their starting zone. I'll be exalted in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    Sure, I'll go quest the Goblin/Worgen zones as a non-Goblin/Worgen that didn't do their starting zone. I'll be exalted in no time!
    Well, good news. There are plenty of world NPCs from both starting zones that give you the rep even without the city tabards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Breathe View Post
    So, lets say you can get 1500rep with doing dailies for that one faction, it takes the average player about 30minutes to do them.

Then you take a faction quartermaster, give him a quest that asks you to kill xyz in a related instance (the Klaxxi > Gate o/t Sun, Shadopan > SPM, etc etc etc.) When you accept that quest you get a tabard you have to equip that gives you 10rep per mob you kill and 250 for every boss you kill in that instance (fictional numbers is fictional).
    The tabard has a limit of 1250 rep for a day, resets @ 00:00, but the trick is once you pick up the tabard you can't accept any daily quests anymore that day from that faction (and vice versa, when you hand in your first daily you become ineligible for the quest/taberd).

In this case ppl like me whom really really hate the dailies from some factions still get to get rep, get some VP/charms en get exalted in the end with said factions, it only takes 20% more time.

for me (and some others i know) this would be the perfect middle ground, like i really hate the klaxxi dailies with a passion and i would be totally happy getting exalted a week later then someone who grinded out the dailies.
    On the other hand, SPan/AC/Serpent riders i find amusing and i would choose the dailies from them over doing a dungeon for rep anytime.
    I have thought about a similar idea and I really like it. It still makes dailys the optimal way of getting rep so if you want to be prepared to raid in a new expansion / patch, but there are alternatives to get the rep.

Repeating a Daily doesn't help me know the faction. It makes me hate it. Daily grind is just a worse version of dungeon grind: you kill the mobs and might have to loot them, only in dungeons every mob you kill counts. With dailys there will always be at least 5 other people (and so few only in the middle of the night) doing the same shit taking the mobs I need. I don't care about the Klaxxi or their story, I want to be prepared for a raid. I haven't read your quest text the first time and I won't read it the 48th time. Dailys are just as repetative as dungeons but at least with dungeons you have a chance to get some loot you might need for OS or something. Dailys make me hate the faction, the area and every person around me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel some of the fault of the dungeon tabard running and why players had so long gotten used to it is really Blizz's fault with respect to their poor design.

In BC, they did a pretty good job making the 5-mans have an associated faction that cared about you clearing them, so you didn't really need tabards to reinforce it. Honor Hold/Thrallmar wanted you to clear out Ramparts/Blood Furnance/Shattered Halls. Cenarion the Serpent Shrine 5-mans. Etc. Now, there were still some other factions that you had to grind purely by dailies and/or item turn ins (Netherwing, Ogrilla, Skyguard. Been there, done it all) but at least 5 factions were tied directly to the 5-mans.

But in Wrath/Cata/Mop, they didn't really do that. So instead of designing the 5-mans to properly integrate with the factions, they just came up with the tabards for people to wear while running dungeons they were going to run anyways. Many had dailies/quests to augment them, but the quickest way was still to grind dungeons just like it was in BC when the 5-mans had an associated faction.

But on top of that, almost all of the factions in BC/Wrath/Cata all allowed you to work on your rep with them, in one fashion or another, before hitting max level. However, in MoP, it seems just about every single faction of any importance (Hozen/Jinyu rep in Jade Forest doesn't really count ) requires you to be 90 before you can really work the rep. I think about the only sole exception are Klaxxi and Shado-Pan, which allow you to get to ~Honored or so just by questing their respective zones.

But Tillers? I understand that I can't go hit some of the actual daily zones, due to needing to fly for most of them, but why can't I even get any residual rep for planting my starting 4 plots of soil like you get once you hit 90?
    Last edited by Deathgoose; 2012-12-12 at 10:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    The faster people comes to terms with that factions are separate from dungeons, the better.

If anything? Finishing a Scenario gives you an option of recieving one commendation of choice, each give 100 reputation. Max three per day.
    Why? It's a system that exists since classic altough mostly for raids and was expanded in BC. It was a fairly nice system allowing people to do something that is actual fun and get rep while doing so instead of slugging through the same boring set of dailys over and over and over again.

It is one of the worst changes in the history of WoW. Artificially slowing down the progress and rewarding bad players. No idea why some people are so convinced it's the best thing since sliced bread, most likely because it benefited them.