Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamerfal View Post
    It's easy to sit and look at a log and criticize, but there's really no point, especially as the poor girl probably isn't even reading these comments to defend herself. There's been more than enough constructive comments in this thread, skill sets differ player to player, and even then not everyone can perform perfectly.

I'm sure the helpful pointers have been passed on.
    You're exactly right, she has this thread and is aware of it. She's a really nice girl and had a bad night. The pointers are appreciated; but I come here because most of the criticism is constructive, this doesn't need to be a bashing thread.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 01:04 PM ----------

Well, obviously, there was more going on here. You said she typically does better than these last couple/few encounters. From reading people's comments on the parses, it just seems like her activity itself was low -- just not doing as much as she used to.
    She typically does better than what's in those logs, but she's not a chart topper. Between me and another holy pally we had, we were the strongest healers. Once Fenixdown joined it bumped her down further because he's also a very strong healer. Activity on that fight was low, she was not having a good night and not in the best of moods. You are correct there is more going on than what was presented.

If she was good enough to be part of your team up until this point, I'm sure she's well aware of how to play her spec. I mean, it's over with now (or at least actions have occurred, which may or may not be reversible) ... but maybe she was frustrated with some of the newer healers that have been brought on (assuming some were newer than her). Maybe she just got heal sniped a ton in a given night and she just felt ineffective, which led to frustration, which led to poor performance.
    When she joined the raid team it was on her priest. At the start of MoP she wasn't happy with how priest healing was and requested to main switch to her shaman. This was before the recent priest buff that has improved their throughput. She is a good player, just not performing as well as she could on the shaman.

Maybe it's just because I, as the GM of the last 25-player guild on our shrinking server, don't have the luxury of being able to toss people out and replace them over one bad night/week, but I'd rather fix issues than step over them. But even beyond that, you say this person is a friend -- it's a bit shocking to me that you'd consider this person a friend but would be somewhat tone deaf with regard to seeing where she fits into all this as a person and not just a resto shaman.
    I didn't want her to leave nor did I have any intentions of replacing her. She rage quit in the middle of the fight after an argument with the GM over the healing.

As far as embarrassment that wasn't the case. We WERE a 10 man guild, and made the switch to 25 man approximately 3 weeks ago. She felt lost in the shuffle after the switch and wasn't really enjoying 25 man as much as 10 man. That's REALLY what is going on here. In turn it's affected the performance. However, this thread was more about the argument and settling that than her performance. I wanted to learn what she was talking about with regards to shaman mastery and the issues with overhealing.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Humm I thought it was against the rules to post another player toon name? Then you post logs and ask others to commit on them?

your shaman healer is true.
    the lower the raid hp is, the more he / she heals.
    pairing with a disc priest means the shaman does about 10-20k less hps than he would do if this disc priest was holy or a druid or paladin, as the hp drops from dmg inc events are diminished.
    More stringent situations in healing are a indirect buff to shaman hps, as mastery will not be able to pull of its weight in overhealed situations.
    So the disc / resto shaman comb i run , means my hps suck at normal modes. But its really awesome for most heroic encounters , as with the absorbs + my mastery, we buy a lot of time to keep people alive, and barely have any random death due to a lack of healing.

so the more dmg inc happens, the more shaman shines. if raid is beeing overhealed / dmg is getting absorbed by shields, shaman dont shine in hps, but still add their hp buff+ the strategic resource to heal a shitton if raid drops low due to something bad happening.

but your shaman itself still has room to improve, like ue for hr, better uptime of hst /riptide and less hesitation for popping those cds.

actually, if a gm / raidlead doesnt know how healing classes work, whats their strenght and whats their weaknesses, and starts a useless debate, its understandable to quit this guild from a healer pov..
    Last edited by Holofernes; 2012-12-13 at 10:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GM plays a shaman and knows how they work. My job is not to know how a shaman works, people need to know how to play their classes. When I see a problem I try to fix it, and at that point reach out to whatever class community I can to help me figure it out.

My point was that the argument was invalid. We didn't need less healers on a fight that people were dying to lack of heals. It makes no sense at all.

I wanted an external, non-biased opinion, and have gotten that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by elkewtf; 2012-12-13 at 10:46 PM.

there are two things on that sentence

the less healers the higher HPS the remaining healers would have = True

people dying due to lack of heals won't be fixed by removing a healer = True

Quote Originally Posted by plumwd View Post
    In fairness to her, she has asked me to post a better log.

This is from Garalon the night before: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...=10828&e=11252
    Tsulong last week http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=9113&e=9589
    What does a better log have to do with the boss you were wiping on? The log shows her not playing her shaman correctly. Now either she was preoccupied in which case I would replace her, or she is just bad and doesn't know how to properly play a shaman, in which case I would replace her. IMO replace her and see if people still die.

Deleted
    She should get 90k+ hps on Garalon with ease...there is nonstop dmg going on, and I'm sure ranged are all closely stacked up together to get Healing Rain down. Using Healing Tide Totem and Ancestral twice during the fight should aim her up. The fact that she is at the bottom, just clearly indicates she doesn't know how to play Resto Shaman.

Deleted
    What's the point of people still posting in this? Plumwd has got what he needs, there's no point echoing the constructive points which have been said multiple times, or just plain bashing the poor girl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockzilla View Post
    Humm I thought it was against the rules to post another player toon name? Then you post logs and ask others to commit on them?
    Just to be clear, what's against the rules is what we call "naming and shaming". This involves, but is not limited to, posting a log or such without names blacked out just to make fun of the person (not asking for feedback for improvement, as here), or calling out another poster by posting their Armory or logs without them doing so first, with the same intent to shame them or demean their performance.

Asking for honest feedback like this is fine, since players sometimes ask them to do so on their behalf.

For the most part, the posts here haven't really been bashing anyone. They've been critical, but that's what was asked. If anyone had been going overboard with name-calling or the like, I'd have been smacking them for flaming or trolling.
    Last edited by Endus; 2012-12-14 at 01:53 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Endus;19438822]Just to be clear, what's against the rules is what we call "naming and shaming". This involves, but is not limited to, posting a log or such without names blacked out just to make fun of the person (not asking for feedback for improvement, as here), or calling out another poster by posting their Armory or logs without them doing so first, with the same intent to shame them or demean their performance.[QUOTE]

Thank you for clearing that up for me sir.
    Last edited by Shockzilla; 2012-12-14 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo