10+ Year Old Account

Leveling 85 to 90: Prot Vs Healadin

OK Ret for me is not an option, for various reasons
    • I was one of the Original Ret Haters before Blood Elves came out.
    • Don't want to have to change my macros
    • Don't want to buy a new set of gear just to level, and want to gain gear for my actual specs as I level.

With that said, I know that Prot was the chosen spec to aoe level back in the day, but what about this Holy/Shockadin leveling, I heard they actually hit pretty hard. Do they have enough abilities to be efficient as far as leveling.

As prot I feel that I can't die, but I just can't kill faast enough to be efficient.

thoughts???.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tybudd33 View Post
    OK Ret for me is not an option, for various reasons
    • I was one of the Original Ret Haters before Blood Elves came out.
    • Don't want to have to change my macros
    • Don't want to buy a new set of gear just to level, and want to gain gear for my actual specs as I level.

With that said, I know that Prot was the chosen spec to aoe level back in the day, but what about this Holy/Shockadin leveling, I heard they actually hit pretty hard. Do they have enough abilities to be efficient as far as leveling.

As prot I feel that I can't die, but I just can't kill faast enough to be efficient.

thoughts???.....
    Both of them will be painfully slow in comparison, the content is now 100% designed for you to be the leveling spec of choice, that said as well, you can quite happily level as Ret and use that gear for Prot when you ding with absolutely no consequences and in a lot of cases, the 'Ret gear' you picked up will be better than the tank gear you could have picked up

Also just as a note, being a Ret hater is incredibly out dated now. With all the buffs and changes it plays more like a Warrior/Rogue than what true Ret once was

MOP ret now is completely different from Cataclysm ret, which I hear is way, way different than pre-Cata ret. If I weren't so bad at it, I would really enjoy playing it.

That said, best spec for questing = retribution (with an optional prot spec for dread wastes, since they use the same gear). Best spec for dungeons is prot (queues, obviously), and holy if you want to raid/dungeon as holy at 90.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being an "old school" Retribution hater isn't exactly a good reason to not play the spec. As it stands, you'll have to just mess with both to see what feels better (or maybe even *gasp* try Ret too).

Closing.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!