Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Shaman using daggers

Hi guys,

I need to know, if it's a good idea to use 2 daggers (BOA) instead of the 2 maces (BOA), because right now i only have the daggers, i haven't been able to get the 2 maces for my shaman "enhancement" and i'm planing to level by quests to level 60 from level 1.

Thanks

daggers is a bad idea. use the maces.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebria View Post
    daggers is a bad idea. use the maces.
    Can you or someone else explain why? I'd really like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezinol View Post
    Can you or someone else explain why? I'd really like to know.
    Same here, mostly because i will have to farm the Points needed to buy them

Its fine in my personal experience... slower weapons will hit harder, but for the sake of it it really doesnt matter, your boa gear will carry you better then any other gear early on. roll with yuor daggers you wont even notice the difference till you get windfury

Because Stormstrike and Flamelash or whatever they are called are based on weapon damage, not dps. Makes it weak with a 1.80 speed weapon and strong with a 2.60 speed one.

This is the same reason DK's, Rogues and pretty much every other melee prefers slow weapons.

windfury proc has an internal coul down which is why its bad to wf/wf while dual weapons. You should be flame/windfury and your hands should be fasst main hand/ slow off hand for the windfury proc.

---------- Post added 2012-12-12 at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtracks View Post
    Because Stormstrike and Flamelash or whatever they are called are based on weapon damage, not dps. Makes it weak with a 1.80 speed weapon and strong with a 2.60 speed one.

This is the same reason DK's, Rogues and pretty much every other melee prefers slow weapons.
    also this.... but like i said honestly it really doesnt matter, in full boa gear, you wont really even notice a HUGE difference

Slower weapons hit harder and the weapon damage of a mace will make your Lava Lashes and Storm Strikes MUCH more powerful.

That being said, as far as leveling is concerned, it won't really matter if you're using daggers or maces, it only really matters closer to end game when your raid needs you to be performing at your Class/Spec's maximum potential.
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtracks View Post

this is why I would prefer two maces.

but just try it if you already have some daggers seems it is not that bad at all see the answer of Amnasty.
    Last edited by Nebria; 2012-12-12 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    windfury proc has an internal coul down which is why its bad to wf/wf while dual weapons. You should be flame/windfury and your hands should be fasst main hand/ slow off hand for the windfury proc.[COLOR="red"]
    this is completely wrong, you want slow weapons in both hands with windfury in mh and flametongue on the offhand.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfphyre87 View Post
    this is completely wrong, you want slow weapons in both hands with windfury in mh and flametongue on the offhand.
    Correct. Just restating and reinforcing the correct info---> Slow, Slow...WF/FT. It won't matter too much while levelling, but Enh shaman want Slow weapons both hands, never daggers.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Slow weapons are generally better than fast weapons when factoring in instant attacks that are based on weapon damage.

However, with that said, given that you are talking about BoA, meh, if you have the daggers and don't have the maces, given how quickly you can level to 80 (After which, you toss the BoA weapons), it probably isn't really worth wasting time farming up two maces just to get a marginal DPS increase while leveling 1-80.

However, once you are 80+ and are getting real weapons, yeah, slow/slow.
    Last edited by Deathgoose; 2012-12-12 at 10:03 PM.

windfury proc has an internal coul down which is why its bad to wf/wf while dual weapons. You should be flame/windfury and your hands should be fasst main hand/ slow off hand for the windfury proc.

also this.... but like i said honestly it really doesnt matter, in full boa gear, you wont really even notice a HUGE difference
    What are you smoking....

Slow MH/Slow OH always for Shamans, has been for a long time. For the enchantments, WF on MH and FT on OH for the Lava Lash damage.

I haven't played Enha(or Shaman for that matter) since 4.1 and I still know this...

You should be flame/windfury and your hands should be fasst main hand/ slow off hand for the windfury proc.[COLOR="red"]
    No. You do slow main hand w/ windfury, slow off-hand w/ flametongue. It's been that way for a very long time and there's a reason people do it.
    Look! Words!

Aye. Use 2 slow one handed weapons.

The Patient
    Use the daggers you have unless you really wanna farm up the JP to buy the maces. Aside from the 'proper' heirlooms, until level 80, heirloom gear with the correct primary stat and is the wrong armor type or weapon speed will still be better than anything else you can get your hands on. Even if the heirloom daggers do only 90% of the damage of heirloom maces, you will still be pumping out enough damage to clobber the average mob in 3-6 globals.

Edit: At level 78-80, get a pair of cata BoE slow weapons, and stay slow/slow there on out.
    Cata gear levels are when armor specialization bonuses start having a recognizable impact.
    Last edited by kaikoraimi; 2012-12-12 at 11:26 PM.

The key point as i see it(and have advised friends while leveling) is that weapon DAMAGE comes first speed second. So for i stance my GF s weapon had LOWER straight damage than a 1.80 dagger abd as such i advised it for MH while emphasizing that slower is better in most ways BECAUSE of higher base damage.

So i'd say that if the daggers do more straight damage(not DPS) then other weapons it's NP really. PLUS you could always swap out if you get the points for the other ones anyways.

I'm pretty sure that the reason daggers are bad for Enhancement is because of how fast they are. One Handed Maces/Axes/Fist Weapons are all 2.6. I think if you were to find a dagger that was 2.6 there wouldn't be a problem with it at all.

However, being that you are leveling, if you do not want to grind heroics to get Justice Points to be able to buy the two one handed maces.. It's just leveling, it really doesn't matter but I'm sure you'll find some random green or blue weapons that will be a lot better than those daggers

Credit for the creation of this awesome signature belongs to Shyama

What is this I don't even..

Quote Originally Posted by Damaros View Post
    What is this I don't even..
    well it is true that wf has an internal cd so it can't proc from itself. but back in the days where you used double wf that means you have to use slow/slow or else thechance is high that you fast offhand would lock you mainhand for proccing wf.
    this is even some situation you have while leveling. not shure when you get lavalsh and when you get wf but when i leveled last time (before the new taltent system) lavalash was available in the higher levels so you played some time with wf/wf.
    but leveling is so easy now so it doesn't matter anymore I guess.