Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    imo just keep the 4gb ram you got and save the 25 euro as a start for a new rig fund in the future? (4gb+ and gaming don't have any effect on each other)

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    but then you won't have the benefit of tripple channel, but run 3x 2gb single channel. Seems a little wierd to me.. I mean, what's the price of a 6gb tripple kit these days. Though granted i doubt you'll see a huge difference in games.
    Damn, I went from being a tech savvy guy to being a fucking noob. I didn't know that I have to have special rams for that. I though it's enough to simply install any DDR three times.

http://www.amazon.de/G-Skill-PC1600-...5350889&sr=1-5 ??

Would slightly kill my budget, but I can survive it.

Or just fuck it, since I won't notice anything anyway?
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2012-12-12 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shroudster, thing is though, if you have enough ram (like 6+GB) you can disable pagefile. That also speeds up performance quite a bit, and is key if you work with a smaller SSD. Eh, you can decide yourself if you want to spend the extra 40E, you're not really obligated to buy it now. If you run into any memory troubles you can always purchase it later.
    Mostly you just buy double or triple channel because you can, not that it really matters that much (but it would be silly not to, cause they cost the same). You dont need to swap your current RAM for it.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2012-12-12 at 10:29 PM.

Deleted
    cmon that is a very specific scenario and likely not the case for OP, perhaps increases desktop performance but not ingame. (gaming depends for 95% on cpu/gpu combo, after that a ssd can lower loadtimes abit)

The card is fine for those games yes, however i wouldn't grab a dual-channel kit on a i7-920 tripple channel CPU/board
    Get a 3xDDR3 kit.

EDIT: Though most of the times it will be enough, 4GB is a tad bit on the short side now shroudster
    If he buys one more 2gb stick (same specs preferably) if the other 4 gb is running as 2gb sticks in dual channel the motherboard is what scales it as triple channel.
    So buying a triple channel kit would make things more expensive when he could buy 1x2gb stick matching for 30-40 cheaper.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    cmon that is a very specific scenario and likely not the case for OP, perhaps increases desktop performance but not ingame. (gaming depends for 95% on cpu/gpu combo, after that a ssd can lower loadtimes abit)
    Hence i'm leaving it up to him and sorta advising against it.

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    if the other 4 gb is running as 2gb sticks in dual channel the motherboard is what scales it as triple channel.
    Providing this is the case :P

Okay. So I'll just buy a 670gtx and call it a day.

My CPU is still good, no? No need to worry about that I hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Okay. So I'll just buy a 670gtx and call it a day.

My CPU is still good, no? No need to worry about that I hope.
    Certainly, i'm still content with my i5-760 aswell.

They just sell them as triple channel kits. the x58 series will run 3x2gb sticks as triple channel its the motherboard that determines whether triple channel is on and the configuration of sticks on the motherboard not the actual memory modules.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Btw, my RAM is currently running dual channel. If I check my system's list it says 4096MB DDR3 Dual Channel 1600Mhz. One is in slot 2, the other one is in slot 4, leaving 1,3,5,6 free.

10+ Year Old Account
    They just sell them as triple channel kits.
    Which is neat, cause he would've been stuck with a loose DIMM if he had bought said kit. Then it have been 8gb single or 6gb triple :P

Anyway have fun with your card ST.

right so if you add another stick youll put it in slot 6, or run in 1,3,5 and that will give you triple channel.

Deleted
    well if you want more performance from the cpu it takes two easy steps.
    1 : buy any halfway decent aftermarket cooler (evo 212 for example as budget option)
    2: overclock away !

just stick with dual channel it is fine for your needs. (perhaps stupid question but would tripple over dual channel ram affect OC'ing in any way? first thing that comes to my mind is that instability more likely due to non identical ram sticks?)

well if you want more performance from the cpu it takes two easy steps.
    1 : buy any halfway decent aftermarket cooler (evo 212 for example as budget option)
    2: overclock away !

just stick with dual channel it is fine for your needs. (perhaps stupid question but would tripple over dual channel ram affect OC'ing in any way? first thing that comes to my mind is that instability more likely due to non identical ram sticks?)
    I've got watercooling to handle the CPU. I think thats good.

right so if you add another stick youll put it in slot 6, or run in 1,3,5 and that will give you triple channel.
    So, I just have to buy any RAM that has the same speccs, change the slots to 1,3,5 and enjoy tripple channel 6gb?

Which is neat, cause he would've been stuck with a loose DIMM if he had bought said kit. Then it have been 8gb single or 6gb triple :P

Anyway have fun with your card ST.
    Thanks

Deleted
    closed loop cooler or custom loop?

closed loop cooler or custom loop?
    I guess closed loop? I got that PC from XMX and bought it as a finished PC. I was never a PC builder myself

It goes from my CPU to a fan at the back of my case and back to the CPU.

If I were you Id try to get something as close to the exact same brand, specs, and VOLTAGE. best bet would be pulling a stick out and looking it up by whatever is listed on it part number, name, whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I guess closed loop? I got that PC from XMX and bought it as a finished PC. I was never a PC builder myself

It goes from my CPU to a fan at the back of my case and back to the CPU.
    got any brand or perhaps a width of the fan/radiator?

The radiator is an AF PWM 12025. The watercooling box behind it is closed and I cannot see any brand name. Same goes for the cover that's on my CPU. There is a logo, but no visible brand name.

Logo looks like an A (or rather a dividers), within a circle.

edit: got it. Brand is Asetek

Deleted
    looks like an entry level watercooler should be able to cool some light oc'ing with ease.

have fun with new GPU to get crispy performance ^^ (really should get some sleep closing in on being awake for 70h straight )