Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Hello Kaiz, first of all you should know that workout exercises are just a part of the "training": we can say that gym and running are composed by a 20% and a 80% of Diet.
    For diet i dont intend stop eating or crap like this; you have to improve your food quality. Therefore i've a question for you, Are you getting any kind of stuff from the Gym ( aka proteins, amino acids)?
    If yes this might be a problem, since this stuff are mostly thought for improving the muscles and not for loosing weight!
    Anyway be proud of counducing an healty lifestyle!
    P.s.: be careful with alchool, it can be a thought weight in your diet!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapecleave View Post
    Alright bud luckily for you some of us here are gym rats and know what to do, lets start with the basics:

Two things,

1: theres the whole calories in - to calories out ratio

2: you actually want to build as much muscle as possible

Beginning at one, what you need to do is to determine what your daily caloric intake is to MAINTAIN your weight and then cut said calories off and you WILL lose weight, its that simple, its not in how much cardio you do, its not in how hard you pump your guns, but they do contribute later on it depends on how far you take this.

Its all in the diet, you can determine your daily calorie maintenance using this http://www.weightrainer.net/gaincalc.html once you have used the calculator to find your maintenance all you have to do is cut 500 calories off of it for fast but healthy weight loss and MAKE SURE you get all your macro nutrients in for the day, which are:

Protein, Carbohydrates and fats. For your weight you need to do your own research on that, but if i had to guess i would say for you 170 grams of protein, 30grams of fats and 200grams of carbs but like i said for however your bodytype is you need to do your own research. And yes i said fats, you actually need to eat some fat to lose fats but they have to be GOOD fats that fall under the category of

Monounsaturated
    polyunsaturated

Mostly found in olive oil, fish oil, avodacoes, peanut butter, sunflower oil.

Before i finish the first section when i mean a diet i dont mean go ON a diet i mean you need to completely change the way you eat permanently, if your naturally fat you have fat stores ready to go, fats are important in our daily lives they regulate our thyroid glands which does the clockwork of all our hormone releases throughout the day including testosterone.

fats that are stored in your body should be considered as emergency rations, but you live in the modern world now you dont need it, so intake your fats from good sources instead of relying on the stuff you already carry it promotes weight loss minorly in of itself.

You need to be aware of what your eating, this is too much to explain and you dont wanna info overload yourself so go and learn what Simple and complex carbs are. They're a maker or breaker for fat loss.

SECONDLY: Having muscle mass on your body BURNS FAT ALL THE TIME WHEN YOUR NOT DOING ANYTHING! thats right, its not much but it does, fat is easy to have on your body, its jiggly, an inbuilt food, light, and able to spread around your entire body. to get more of it all you gotta do is eat and sit on your arse.

Muscle on the other hand is dense, a type of tool, heavy, and compacted all around your body. to get more of it you have to work your arse off. But once its there its hard to get rid of unless you get lazy for regular long periods of time (an infrequent gym schedule, but if you go regularly 4-5 times a week and go on holidays for a fortnight dont worry too much) or just abuse yourself with too much training (yes you can go to the gym TOO often.)

It takes of lot of heat, which in your body is energy to maintain your muscle mass, so therefore just having some on you is burning constant calories, not much, but its there and it adds up over time and thats why fit people look fit and fat people look fat.

You should train according to your body type here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm if your fat tsk that sucks for you you need to get some intensity going with short rests between your sets until you get a little thinner, i would honestly start with the weights and just work with a 4 days of the week schedule, 2 days on one day off. This with a regimented diet and moderate calories from GOOD food with all your macros in it, at a 500 calorie deficit the weight will just shed off.

After that, its up to you whether you wanna pursue the bodybuilding lifestyle or not. Hope this helps.

This is "bang on" advice for anyone looking to get started on building muscle and losing weight.
    Alganon: Catastrophe
    -Face the Deathbreath

Deleted
    Some ideas to try out if your men boobs are more hormonel related.
    1. Cut Plastic, bottle, tupperware etc. use Glass instead.
    2. Get enough Vitamine A and E (Cod Liver Oil), Vitamin D3 (in high dosage 5000-10000 IE) and eat a few hours before going to bed 4 Eggs. Try to eat some fermented food (sauerkraut,kimchi,natto?) for Vitamine K2.

Should raise testosteron and reduce the testestosteron binding hormon (think it was dhea but i`m not sure right now).

It also could take alot of time for you body to get used to your new self.

4 times is much, try 3 times, or at least 1 day off between training. Keep strength training, cardio optional, maybe replace with HIIT.

Cardio in/out is not what you get in your mouth, but what gets in the blood stream, most people forget that. Also different kind of food class (protein,Fat,Carbs) have different hormonel effects, a calorie ist not a calorie. Keep Carbs low (50-150 max, best around 100 and less). Eat 30gr Protein for breakfast (in the first 30 min) so your body i open to use all three kinds of foods instead of just carbs.
    Last edited by mmoc08095c4e61; 2012-12-16 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    Hello, i'm 16 year old and i'm trying to loose these things and replace them with muscles (Well, getting thinner is actually my goal and muscles are a second though)

This is my program: i workout 4 days a week spending a hour on training posture muscles and i round it off with 30 minutes cardio every workday except wednesday.

I also currently have a questionable lifestyle that may or may not be killing my metabolism, i usually wake up at 14:00 (I currently do not have school, bound to change though.) first i have breakfirst and after that i play some games or watch stuff on youtube till 16:00 to go to the gym and i go home 17:30 for dinner at 18:00 and just play games till i go bed.

I don't eat crap like chips and fast food and i only drink water and when i'm hungry i'm just going for a slice of grained bread or just when i feel like it.

So yeah, i'd like to know if i'm doing good or i'm just doing it completely wrong.

EDIT: Oh, and i like to eat some spicy noodles without fat on the evening some times.
    I am surprised by how uninformed most of the people on this thread are. If not all. Exercise and diet will not do much to help your "man boobs". Around 50% of teen males below 16-18 have gynecomastia. It is a normal condition and will likely disappear on it its own in a couple years. What is causing it is, for the most part, not fat. It is breast tissue, the same type of tissue as women have.

As for the weight around your waist, People are built differently. You may have to get below 10% body fat to get rid of belly fat. Other guys (like me) don't have belly fat until we get above 20%. Diet will help with that. So will simply aging a bit. "Baby fat" doesn't go away until the 20s.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-12-16 at 12:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should just keep on sporting and don't change your diet with the goal to loose fat, cause your body fat is really good already. You just need the muscle's to tone up a little bit which is done by sports I noticed you're doing alot of fitness routines and just 30mins cardio. I would do more cardio for better muscle tone and better condition rather then fitness to give you fake muscles so to speak. Maybe you can think of an actual sport, be it individual or in a team, join up and have fun while sporting =)

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    why you no go schoo?
    probably cause hes not really 16.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Do you take enough rest moments for your body? So don't do muscle workouts on a dialy basis, it won't help at all.
    (didn't really know if you do this or not, couldn't tell by the info)
    "It's Better To Burn Out than To Fade Away"

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Not Jelly, you sleeping habits are completely messed up, even if it wasn't the reason for this problem you described, it's still not healthy in any way.
    As long as he is getting enough sleep then his sleeping habits are fine.

A tip from a skinny guy who should be fat:

I have gone through phases of different weights over many years. The reason things shifted was because of lifestyle changes. Now bear in mind whilst I don't go on 12km runs, lift weights, or do any sort of 'exercise', I do walk a lot since my life demands it. I live in London.

It all starts when I stopped doing martial arts. I had a healthy amount of muscle especially on the stomach, legs, and shoulders. I noticed after about a year that I had put on a considerable amount of weight. I wasn't worried though, I didn't change WHAT I was eating, more HOW MUCH and WHEN.

So what I did was I stopped obeying the boring life of: Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. I ate smaller portions when I felt hungry (now this you have to be smart with. There is a difference between hungry and being bored hungry). I also stopped eating just before I go to sleep since unless you are a amazing sleepwalker, that food ain't doing much really. I did change my drinking habits, that was more to do with me being up all night unable to sleep due to sugar in fizzy drinks, so instead I drink water and the occasional fizzy drink just so I don't look like a zombie.

Basically the main principal is, your stomach can shrink or expand depending on how much you shove in it. If you let is shrink you will feel full quicker and therefore have less desire to stuff your face and put on those 4 chins. Kinda in the same way as getting an elastic band around your stomach except this is done through your own willpower instead of just being weak minded and relying on surgery.

Double post sorry
    Last edited by Sandy Sand The Sander Bro; 2012-12-22 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiz View Post
    Hello, i'm 16 year old and i'm trying to loose these things and replace them with muscles (Well, getting thinner is actually my goal and muscles are a second though)

This is my program: i workout 4 days a week spending a hour on training posture muscles and i round it off with 30 minutes cardio every workday except wednesday.

I also currently have a questionable lifestyle that may or may not be killing my metabolism, i usually wake up at 14:00 (I currently do not have school, bound to change though.) first i have breakfirst and after that i play some games or watch stuff on youtube till 16:00 to go to the gym and i go home 17:30 for dinner at 18:00 and just play games till i go bed.

I don't eat crap like chips and fast food and i only drink water and when i'm hungry i'm just going for a slice of grained bread or just when i feel like it.

So yeah, i'd like to know if i'm doing good or i'm just doing it completely wrong.

EDIT: Oh, and i like to eat some spicy noodles without fat on the evening some times.
    Hey, I see that you have decided to cut before you bulk. Which is good because that would be much more easy to do than trying to cut and build muscle at the same time. I'm 5"11 213 Pounds and 7% BF. I see your pretty light but that's ok since your still young. To be honest I think your overtraining though doing Cardio at the end of your workout. When I'm lookin to cut fat (For bodybuilding shows) I do cardio on all my off days for 30-60 minutes. HIT cardio. Like running. Also make sure your hitting every body part once through out the week. No need to hit twice! Unless your workouts aren't tough... So like...
    MONDAY~Chest/Triceps/Shoulders(BB Bench Press,DB Chest Flys,DB Pullovers,Standing BB,Shoulder Press, Upright Rows,Skullcrushers)
    Tuesday~ Cardio (Running/Jogging)
    Wedsnday~ Back/Biceps (BB Bent Over Rows, Lat Pulldowns, DB Bent Over Rows, Deadlifts, BB Bicep Curls)
    Thursday~ Cardio (Running/Jogging)
    Friday~ Legs (Sqauts, Stiff Leg Deadlifts, Hamstring Curls, Calf Extensions/Calf Raises)
    Saturday~ Light Cardio (Brisk Walk)
    Sunday~ Rest (You can guess this one)

That's what I do when I'm on season. Works well for me. Also I do high fats and proteins and low carbs. You will feel tired as shit but it will work. Also be sure your doing compound lifts. I've wasted a lot of time doing a bunch of random exercises when I could of just done compound lifts to get somewhere faster. Isolation does work but it has it's moments. I do cut fat easy now that I have more lean body mass. Diet though is actually more like Calories in VS Out. With the aid of macros. Also... Lift safe! Sucks trying to type this on my phone.

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 04:23 AM ----------

Oh and one more thing. Spot reduction isn't real! So please don't overwork abs to "try and reduce stomach fat". You lose fat all over when you lose it. Just like how you get it all over when you gain it!

---------- Post added 2012-12-22 at 09:42 AM ----------

Another edit. I just noticed your 163 Pounds and 6'3 for height? Seems very thin look to be honest. If thats right then... You should just continue to bulk. 250-500 Calories over maintenance. Also I keep forgetting your 16 years old so as you grow you could put on mass just by growing. Your still not fully developed so I wouldn't recommended cutting till like another year or so unless you get to fat. Your Shoulders, clavicles.. stuff like that could grow ( As in you could become wider), Bone density will get little bit thicker as well as you grow. So don't worry to much about losing the weight that much right now... Just eat clean and have supplements to aid you (Like some protein powder, Creatine, Pre workout if you need to). Bulking would be 20% Proteins, 20% Fats, 60% Carbs... And uhh eat your veggies :P and take your multis and fish oil!

Also please don't play around with Pro Hormones or AAS(Anabolic-Androgenic steroids) at a young age unless your trying to turn pro. And uhhhh... Don't have your body/health goals be because of girls... Because it will just make things harder...

If you have actual "manboobs" despite being thin, you might want to check with a doctor if you have gynecomastia. I had it, and despite dieting my way down to 8% body fat (and doing strength training like a lunatic for a good 18 months), I couldn't lose my "manboobs". I went to see a doctor, and turns out all that was needed was a simple surgical procedure of removing the swollen glands in your chest area (what causes gynecomastia).

Not trying to scare you, but it's more common than people think =P

Quote Originally Posted by Aftonflickan View Post
    If you have actual "manboobs" despite being thin, you might want to check with a doctor if you have gynecomastia. I had it, and despite dieting my way down to 8% body fat (and doing strength training like a lunatic for a good 18 months), I couldn't lose my "manboobs". I went to see a doctor, and turns out all that was needed was a simple surgical procedure of removing the swollen glands in your chest area (what causes gynecomastia).

Not trying to scare you, but it's more common than people think =P
    This kid is a teenager. Yeah, around 50% of males have this sometime when they are a teenager. This disease goes away on almost every teenage male. Don't say stupid shit like he may need surgery until he is in his 20s.

Haven't read through 5 pages of replies but 10% body fat is an average indicator of when you shouldn't see any 'flabby' parts and your abs exposed. At 15% body fat, you'd be well within shedding down to 10% in around 12 weeks of a clean diet. That is, no refined sugars, high in protein, carbs from wholemeal bread, brown rice and sweet potato and taking in natural fats from meats and nuts etc. Aim to eat every 2-3 hours, of meals around ~500 calories. Maintaining and/or building muscle while cutting down, a protein supplement is almost close to necessary unless you plan to eat loads of chicken and fish in one day. Not advertising or anything, but bodybuilding.com or simpleshredded.com is a great website to be on if you want to be around lots of other people with similiar goals in mind

This is normal, if OP is still bellow 20's which means hormones are quite out of whack.
    Also it might simply be because your body stores fat on those 2 areas primarily, meaning they will be the last to lose fat.
    It is a common place for men though.

15% body for a lot of people isnt enough, around 10 even 7% for mad abs although i will go ahead and say that bellow 10%ish it starts to be considered unhealthy, you need your fat, it has many extremely important functions in your body.
    Not to mention that you might want to decide if you want to ramp up your metabolism or not.

Give it time, dont panic about it most girls couldnt care less if you have a bit of flab, some will even prefer it.
    If it is for yourself and health reasons, you likely are healthy already and such things are simple hormonal or personal characteristics.
    A

---------- Post added 2013-01-05 at 09:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Not Jelly, you sleeping habits are completely messed up, even if it wasn't the reason for this problem you described, it's still not healthy in any way.
    Oh i knew someone was going to point out his sleeping pattern, and honestly? load of bull.
    His internal circadian cycle determines which cycle is best for him, if he naturally tends to that one, that one is the healtiest.
    Waking up at 8am is not for everyone,
    Darn tyranny of daylight *raises first in anger*

10+ Year Old Account
    OP can you post a picture of your body so we can see if ur truly 15% or not.

and you can lose weight without boring cardio. i lost 22 kg with just strength training 3 times a week and a calorie deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingifrit View Post
    OP can you post a picture of your body so we can see if ur truly 15% or not.

and you can lose weight without boring cardio. i lost 22 kg with just strength training 3 times a week and a calorie deficit.
    Asking a teenager to send you shirtless photos of himself. Nothing can go wrong here.