Thread: Rift Wiki?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rift Wiki?

Hello!

I've seen a couple rift wikis, and the most popular/up-to-date-ish ones that I've seen are rift.zam.com and telarapedia.com. But why doesn't anybody update them at all? There are hardly any screenshots, even for the popular items, and there's no information whatsoever on most items.

I would personally stick to rift.zam.com, except when there's an item that hasn't been added, I'm not able to create a new article for it like I'd be able to with telarapedia.

Is there a better RIFT wiki that I'm missing out on? Or is this it - a deserted wiki that hasn't been hardly updated since 2011.

Deleted
    I think thats it to be honest, its kind of upsetting really, i cant find another database site either

Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    I think thats it to be honest, its kind of upsetting really, i cant find another database site either
    :\ that is upsetting...

Well, I have been updating quite a bit on rift.zam... if only I could create articles or had wiki experience XD

Deleted
    Seatin is making a new site, if you are interested in this kind of thing you should PM him to see if he needs any help

Truth time?

we as rifters can suck a little when it comes to this stuff. don't ask me why. we really don't make huge waves about our game, don't really get into community sites, and we tend to be a little stand-offish when it comes to actually pointing out the many many many superior aspects of the game.

for about a year and a half we let the game be labelled as a clone with buggy crappy content that wasn't worth the sub fee. I honestly think it wasn't until patch 1.6 that people saw a whole zone introduced, (EI) and started saying "maybe there's something to this..."

If you think about, if just the handful of us here on MMO-C went on Rift.Zam and started leaving comments on quests, etc. we'd populate that thing in no time.
    {I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. }

From personal experience dating back to Vanilla WoW, sites like Wowhead, the wikis and... gosh, I forget the name of the original quest helping site... quests and content used to be a lot more difficult to finish. We had no objective trackers and quest circumference highlights to guide us. With difficult quests (elite mobs, cross-zone quests, etc) it was easy to get lost or stuck. Thanks to this, a lot of these sites started popping up. Factor in 10 years of lore with many of the same characters, and there were bound to be offshoots of the quest help sites.

Rift, being fairly young, relatively small, and developed with all the questing bells and whistles or social site tie-ins didn't really require the existence of external sites, outside of a soul build calculator and some powerleveling guides for professions, along with the occasional Class site thrown in.

Obviously some sites have risen over the last 2 years, but players as a whole haven't been reliant of non-forum guidance so many of the Rift sites you come across never gain mass appeal, and many of them fall to neglect. We weren't raised (in this MMO) to look for outside help, so we never give sites the attention they deserve. All this is my opinion, obviously. I could be talking out my ass.

I honestly think if one or two websites can draw a decent sized crowd, there'll be a lot more opportunities for Rift sites to expand their scope and visitor counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    rift.magelo.com
    Thanks, this site looks quite awesome it loads a little slow for me though :c

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 01:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    From personal experience dating back to Vanilla WoW, sites like Wowhead, the wikis and... gosh, I forget the name of the original quest helping site... quests and content used to be a lot more difficult to finish. We had no objective trackers and quest circumference highlights to guide us. With difficult quests (elite mobs, cross-zone quests, etc) it was easy to get lost or stuck. Thanks to this, a lot of these sites started popping up. Factor in 10 years of lore with many of the same characters, and there were bound to be offshoots of the quest help sites.

Rift, being fairly young, relatively small, and developed with all the questing bells and whistles or social site tie-ins didn't really require the existence of external sites, outside of a soul build calculator and some powerleveling guides for professions, along with the occasional Class site thrown in.

Obviously some sites have risen over the last 2 years, but players as a whole haven't been reliant of non-forum guidance so many of the Rift sites you come across never gain mass appeal, and many of them fall to neglect. We weren't raised (in this MMO) to look for outside help, so we never give sites the attention they deserve. All this is my opinion, obviously. I could be talking out my ass.

I honestly think if one or two websites can draw a decent sized crowd, there'll be a lot more opportunities for Rift sites to expand their scope and visitor counts.
    Wow, this was really a great explanation on why there aren't too many databases for Rift. I guess I'm just used to World of Warcraft's extensive databases :\

Don't think Rift's age has anything to do with the lack of up to date wiki/fansites really. Younger MMOs have robust wikis and up to date fan support.

Rift is just niche. People don't think Rift is because they see it as made in the style of the most popular MMO ever made; World of Warcraft. While Rift is certainly made in that style, it's main attraction is that it is Warcraft for people who don't like Warcraft specifically. With a heavy emphasis on [tiered] raiding endgame.

There isn't as large an audience for, "I like [endgame raiding] / [trinity mechanics] / [hotkey combat] / [etc] but the ease at which Warcraft provides these things is too off putting" as one may think.

Rift appeals to an older MMO player and a player looking for a rather specific hotkey, EQ/WOW derived gameplay. They also tend to know what they are doing too. You'll notice a distinct lack of "noob questions" in Rift vis a vis other games, for example.

Rift is sorta like... the [non shitty] Vanguard to World of Warcraft. The appeal of Vanguard being it was Everquest for people who felt EQ was too accommodating.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-12-13 at 09:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Don't think Rift's age has anything to do with the lack of up to date wiki/fansites really. Younger MMOs have robust wikis and up to date fan support.
    Entirely true. Tera Codex is probably my favorite gaming fansite as of late and the amount of data they have for a "new game" just proves that the game's age has nothing to do with it. It just depends on the right person with the right skill set and determination to provide that amount of content in a properly formatted site.
    Rift Scene - Still the best Rift fansite.
    Cupcakey 5/5 EE, 4/4 FT

Maybe Seatin will make rift wiki too.
    Telarapedia is outladed :/

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you will see a boom in the number of sites appearing as a lot of these site creators see that people are coming back to the game and it is in their interest to keep their sites up to date. Rift went through a bit of a lull for a bit, but this Storm Legion expansion is so good, it has persuaded a lot of people to come back.

http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Raids_achievements
    For example. It's more then outdated -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcaek View Post
    Entirely true. Tera Codex is probably my favorite gaming fansite as of late and the amount of data they have for a "new game" just proves that the game's age has nothing to do with it. It just depends on the right person with the right skill set and determination to provide that amount of content in a properly formatted site.
    Tera doesn't get much content. It's last notable content update was in August. Rift robust content releases including the expansion has probably dwarfed any other MMO out currently on the market I haven't fact checked that but I wouldn't doubt that's the truth.

Best of luck to anyone who can keep a wiki/database up to date with Rift. It's a full time job.

Deleted
    Just as a heads up, my site initially will not have a expansive large database of items, achievements etc etc, I will however note common things of interest that are quite hard to discover and work out and write sections of them under misc, stuff for like the Storm Legion puzzles, Cairns and other interesting things like that.

We may go onto having a database and adding a wikipedia section, there is definitely room for future development, I'm actually just in the middle of planning some of my launch events... which you guys and girls will here about very shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Wow.... That's bad o_o

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Rift went through a bit of a lull for a bit, but this Storm Legion expansion is so good, it has persuaded a lot of people to come back.
    Definitely! I stopped subbing for several months just because I had no interest in it. That is, until now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    So update it! It's a wiki and everyone has edit functionality for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Tera doesn't get much content. It's last notable content update was in August. Rift robust content releases including the expansion has probably dwarfed any other MMO out currently on the market I haven't fact checked that but I wouldn't doubt that's the truth.
    What does that have to do with my initial comment ๏_๏. Tera's a newer game than Rift but has a lot of successful (and large) fansites regardless of "doesn't get much content."
    Cupcakey 5/5 EE, 4/4 FT

So update it! It's a wiki and everyone has edit functionality for it.

What does that have to do with my initial comment ๏_๏. Tera's a newer game than Rift but has a lot of successful (and large) fansites regardless of "doesn't get much content."
    It's really easy to keep not a lot of content up do date. It is a lot more difficult to keep a whole lot of content up to date, especially when you are busy playing that content, not writing about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It's really easy to keep not a lot of content up do date. It is a lot more difficult to keep a whole lot of content up to date, especially when you are busy playing that content, not writing about it.
    I manage it just fine doing both :P.
    Cupcakey 5/5 EE, 4/4 FT

I manage it just fine doing both :P.
    So that's why all the Rift DB sites are up to date?