Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mage equivalent to class-specific websites?

Now that Elitistjerks seems to have lost its umph, I can't seem to find a website that focuses on Mage theorycraft/discussion. Priests have shadowpriest.com, shamans have totemspot, and I'm sure there are many more I don't know about.

Would a kind soul please point me in the right direction? Thanks :]

Deleted
    To be fair I don't know any up to date websites either. Even simcraft is completely fucked for arcane and actually shows haste the highest stat value which is obviously wrong due to simcraft giving arcane a terrible rotation which includes barrage.

I suppose everyone just hates mages nowadays and nobody wants to talk about them

Quote Originally Posted by Seabert View Post
    To be fair I don't know any up to date websites either. Even simcraft is completely fucked for arcane and actually shows haste the highest stat value which is obviously wrong due to simcraft giving arcane a terrible rotation which includes barrage.

I suppose everyone just hates mages nowadays and nobody wants to talk about them
    Which I don't get. We're by far the most clunky and boring class and we've been nerfed to all hell in PvP, Fire's been heavily PvE nerfed, and Arcane was always crap this expansion (immobile specc in a mobile tier. YEAH THAT WORKS).

If anything, we should be given some sympathy like those stinky shamans :P
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I heard in a podcast a few days ago (converttoraid) that the mages in top EU guilds switched to Arcane and are stacking haste over mastery. They are using an unusual rotation that use Scorch weaving and their dps is through the roof. May want to look into that.

Yeah, Arcane's far from useless in this tier now that they've reduced the mana cost of AB. Give it a try!
    Arcane's 2nd and 3rd highest DPS on Sha 25N which is far from a momvement free-fight, and 3rd on Lei Shi.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2012-12-13 at 01:42 PM.

Deleted
    Even simcraft is completely fucked for arcane and actually shows haste the highest stat value which is obviously wrong
    Haste is currently a strong stat for Arcane, sometimes being stronger than Mastery. Preconceptions about the spec are exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    We're by far the most clunky and boring class and we've been nerfed to all hell in PvP, Fire's been heavily PvE nerfed, and Arcane was always crap this expansion (immobile specc in a mobile tier. YEAH THAT WORKS).
    Yet Mages will still always have a place in PvP (albeit as Frost) due to their burst potential, strong CC and strong survivability. PvP Frost performs fine, anyway.

Also, yes, Arcane must be crap this expansion, that's why it's currently the FotM Mage spec.

It's people like you who take a completely fine CLASS and whine about it to kingdom come despite the fact that Mages as a whole are in a good place that gives mages a bad name as qq queens.

OT: The best place for Mage discussion is probably in the guides for each of the 3 specs which are stickied at the top of this forum. Sadly we don't have a dedicated site

Elitist jerks mage forums (link removed due to low post count)

Icy-veins mage forums (link removed due to low post count)

Frankly and despite the frequent bickering, I think MMO Champion's mage forums provide better information than either of those places, and you are already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I think MMO Champion's mage forums provide better information than either of those places
    As Mages go, I've gotten all of my MoP information from MMO. I went to EJ maybe twice at the beginning and I didn't find a single useful thing. Icy Veins had a BiS list for a second, but that was before HoF came out, and it hasn't been updated.

you could also use ask mr robot for upgrades and the bis list if that's what you are after.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    immobile specc in a mobile tier. YEAH THAT WORKS
    All of my wat, I haven't moved more than ten feet this entire tier, smarter movement, not more.

OT: We do have some pretty good discussion right here in the mage guides, I know I have been spending a lot of time in the arcane guide discussing the ins and outs with a couple others who have posted on this thread (who are pretty good at dealing numbers) and it seems to be the best source for information and discussion at this point.

Pretty much I use MMO-C and the US forums too. I wish we did have a hardcore theorycrafting site of some sort, as the WoW ones tend to be filled with PVP and QQ threads. MMO-C is still great, but we don't receive enough traffic on the Mage board, or people don't feel like posting, I'm not sure. The other class boards here receive more postings. The Warlock one was obviously helped by having an actual Blizzard dev posting there.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2012-12-13 at 07:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been trying to initiate discussion with bad numbers, hoping someone would help make the numbers right, at least for frost.

Instead everyone harps on the obvious. I'd love to see the mage community get better. I'm really going to try to push for a better atmosphere on these forums in the next few months.

I like the mage forum here on MMO-C., and you wont get hit by the Banhammer here (unlike EJ) for asking "stupid" questions

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Frankly and despite the frequent bickering, I think MMO Champion's mage forums provide better information than either of those places, and you are already there.
    i think this is the most proper answer to op question

10+ Year Old Account
    This is probably the most active mage forums out there that I"ve seen yet. In addition, we actually are able to have a dialogue here. You just have to look past the bickering OR the other classes that pop in to say "nerf mages" or "you guys need to stop QQing".
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    All of my wat, I haven't moved more than ten feet this entire tier, smarter movement, not more.
    Do you have your raid conveniently stack on you for every unseen strike, and you never got 2 tornados in your face? Do you not have to move for attenuation? Do you keep getting the same sunbeams on tsulong? etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account

Use this action list for 6-charge camping.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonfaceddr View Post
    Based on my simulation, 6-charge camping is about 1500DPS higher than the clear-stack rotation. (T14N Bis preset)

Code:
    #!./simc  

mage="Mage_Arcane_T14N"
    origin="unknown"
    level=90
    race=night_elf
    spec=arcane
    role=spell
    position=back
    talents=   (link not allow to post)
    glyphs=evocation/mana_gem/slow/mirror_image

actions.precombat=flask,type=warm_sun
    actions.precombat+=/food,type=mogu_fish_stew
    actions.precombat+=/arcane_brilliance
    actions.precombat+=/mage_armor
    actions.precombat+=/snapshot_stats
    actions.precombat+=/rune_of_power
    actions.precombat+=/jade_serpent_potion

actions=counterspell,if=target.debuff.casting.react
    actions+=/cancel_buff,name=alter_time,moving=1
    actions+=/conjure_mana_gem,if=mana_gem_charges<3&target.debuff.invulnerable.react
    actions+=/time_warp,if=target.health.pct<25|time>5
    actions+=/arcane_power,if=target.time_to_die<18
    actions+=/alter_time,if=buff.alter_time.down&buff.arcane_power.up&buff.arcane_missiles.stack=2&buff.arcane_charge.stack>4&buff.rune_of_power.remains>6,moving=0
    actions+=/arcane_missiles,if=buff.alter_time.up|buff.arcane_missiles.stack=2
    actions+=/arcane_barrage,if=buff.alter_time.up&buff.alter_time.remains<2&buff.arcane_charge.up
    actions+=/arcane_blast,if=buff.alter_time.up
    actions+=/rune_of_power,if=buff.rune_of_power.down&buff.alter_time.down
    actions+=/jade_serpent_potion,if=buff.arcane_power.up|target.time_to_die<=50
    actions+=/mana_gem,if=mana.pct<84&buff.alter_time.down
    actions+=/mirror_image
    actions+=/arcane_power,if=buff.rune_of_power.remains>15&buff.alter_time.down&buff.arcane_charge.stack>1  
    actions+=/living_bomb,if=!ticking|remains<tick_time
    actions+=/arcane_missiles,if=buff.arcane_missiles.stack=2&(cooldown.alter_time_activate.remains>4|target.time_to_die<10)
    actions+=/arcane_blast,if=mana.pct>92
    actions+=/arcane_missiles,if=buff.arcane_missiles.react&(cooldown.alter_time_activate.remains>4|target.time_to_die<10)
    actions+=/arcane_blast,if=buff.arcane_charge.remains<4
    actions+=/scorch,if=buff.arcane_charge.up&buff.arcane_power.down&buff.alter_time.down&target.time_to_die>25&(cooldown.mana_gem.remains>10|mana_gem_charges=0)
    actions+=/arcane_blast
    actions+=/scorch,moving=1
    actions+=/fire_blast,moving=1
    actions+=/ice_lance,moving=1

The greater mage tc community has died, mainly due to some key members who were holding it up for so long having left with MoP.

That being said, some of them are still active, but in a limited way. They post over at the MTC forums, though they are by invite only and not public, so I'm not sure
    "There are very few who can claim what he can. There are even fewer who can prove it like he can. There are even less that can match him, but all will no doubt accept what he is, and what he can do. The Highlord is for sure one of a kind. A true Master of the Arcane arts. It would be best for you to listen."
    - Lady Nåabi of the Immortalis, former Guild Executor, former Raid Lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrias-Oaks View Post
    Do you have your raid conveniently stack on you for every unseen strike, and you never got 2 tornados in your face? Do you not have to move for attenuation? Do you keep getting the same sunbeams on tsulong? etc etc.
    For normal modes, that is exactly what I do, I don't bother resetting on tsulong, I take attenuation to the face etc.

As for mechanics such as unseen strike, yes, I will move in for that and your 90 talent shouldn't stop you from doing that either way, blink in, get cleaved, land within 10 feet of your rune.

(also as a side note, you can dodge attenuation perfectly fine while never leaving your rune, I've done it)