View Poll Results: Should America go metric?

Voters
1231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I'm American.

    320 26.00%
  • No, and I'm American.

    144 11.70%
  • Yes, and I'm NOT American.

    741 60.19%
  • No, and I'm NOT American.

    26 2.11%
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
21
... LastLast
  1. #201
    The Lightbringer breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    I won't lie, I actually do dislike Celsius. Though the imperial units for measurements, those all need to go.



    So you wouldn't disagree, but you'll refuse to use metric?

    That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.
    i am too comfortable with the imperial system to switch to the metric system. and no i actually think the imperial system is better. at least in my eyes it is.

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    So do you disagree that the Imperial units system isn't fucking retarded? Please lecture me on how it's at all better than the metric system. It's just because you're used to it. If the US were to swap, you'd get over it and also love the new method that the entire rest of the progressive world uses.
    In most cases I would hardly consider the rest of the world's stances on anything as progressive. Much more like regressive and sliding back into the dark ages.
    The metric system is boring and the Centigrade scale in particular is ridiculous. Kilometers instead of miles is also bad.

  3. #203
    Mechagnome vastx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    So do you disagree that the Imperial units system isn't fucking retarded? Please lecture me on how it's at all better than the metric system. It's just because you're used to it. If the US were to swap, you'd get over it and also love the new method that the entire rest of the progressive world uses.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 12:25 AM ----------



    Compare pounds to kilograms. Then it's not that bad.

    That would now be a 0.4536kg rubber mallet.
    The foundation of the system we use is archaic...but it works, it's infallible in it's end, regardless of it's roots. It's a makeup of my life. I don't want it to change. If you somehow feel embarrassed that you live in a country that doesn't use the metric system..well, your priorities are fucked.

  4. #204
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    129
    Ill type everything again to make things clearer, i think i failed to express myself in previous posts

    I don't think U.S.A should switch, what i think is that the metric system should be taught in schools too.
    Almost every non-english speaking country of the world study english, to use in an international context, this does not mean their mother language are not taught.

    So americans should learn the metric system to use when talking to someone from another country that uses the metric system (international system), just like everyone in this world should learn english (international language). It's just to make communications easier.
    When i am in my country, i speak my mother language. When i am in an international ambient i speak english, a poor english, but i try. So an american could use the imperial system when not in an international ambient, but should use the metric system in an international ambient.

    What's the problem on it ?? All the world learns another language to communicate with America, why americans can't do this for the sake of communication ?

  5. #205
    Mechagnome vastx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Ill type everything again to make things clearer, i think i failed to express myself in previous posts

    I don't think U.S.A should switch, what i think is that the metric system should be taught in schools too.
    Almost every non-english speaking country of the world study english, to use in an international context, this does not mean their mother language are not taught.

    So americans should learn the metric system to use when talking to someone from another country that uses the metric system (international system), just like everyone in this world should learn english (international language). It's just to make communications easier.
    When i am in my country, i speak my mother language. When i am in an international ambient i speak english, a poor english, but i try. So an american could use the imperial system when not in an international ambient, but should use the metric system in an international ambient.

    What's the problem on it ?? All the world learns another language to communicate with America, why americans can't do this for the sake of communication ?
    We are taught the metric system. But then, a lot of us never use it in daily life. I use it to some degree.

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by Al3sinth View Post
    Sitting here looking at my 1lb rubber mallet and realized it's now a 453.59237g rubber mallet.
    It's the decimals that irks you? Well, if USA converts to metric, you would probably buy a 500 g mallet instead. Problem solved.

  7. #207
    Stood in the Fire MintJam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    427
    I don't think it'd be of any benefit, mostly because it's been around for so long. Making all of America change their system would be too much effort for so little pay off. It doesn't hurt to teach it to people though. Thing is, we already use the metric system where it matters. The general American public would not be harmed by not using the metric system.

    I work in the science/medical field though and I use the metric system on a daily basis anyways, so it doesn't matter for me.

  8. #208
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    We are taught the metric system. But then, a lot of us never use it in daily life. I use it to some degree.
    I don't use english in daily life, but i do use when i am in an international ambient. Its the same thing.
    But i have to say is nice to know americans are taught about this system, but americans should do an effort to use it when talking to someone from another country, since this person did the effort to learn another language to talk to you.

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyos View Post

    Lastly the date thing...i vote everyone should go month/day/year...I dont know how its done else where but when i ask someone the date they say "December 12th, 2012"
    the say month then the day then the year...makes more sense to me to write it the same way.
    You realize that you only say "December 12th, 2012" because it's written that way? Not the other way around.

    Do you say "he finished 2nd place, overall" or "he finished place 2nd, overall?"


    In genereal SI > Imperial.
    ...just another dream within a dream...

  10. #210
    Legendary! Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    6,522
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    I don't care who proposes making English the official language. My point was that some people want government to force switching to the metric, while deploring the idea of establishing an official language. Yes, it's not the same thing (language and a number system) but the mandatory switching is the same idea.
    TBH, I'd actually be for having English be the official language (because technically, it already is, despite a lot of immigrants speaking other languages), except with that, you're not forced to use it. That's like saying you're FORCED to use French when you visit France or Italian when you visit Italy, when you're not, but you may have a hard time.

    You're more than welcome to use imperial units should we switch to Metric, you just might be called silly for using a system that essentially a child would use.

    Also, I was just quoting you because I was laughing with you. The guy's a dumbass.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 12:42 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    I don't use english in daily life, but i do use when i am in an international ambient. Its the same thing.
    But i have to say is nice to know americans are taught about this system, but americans should do an effort to use it when talking to someone from another country, since this person did the effort to learn another language to talk to you.
    *Coughs* Um, no, people from another country typically DON'T learn our language...

    Retired Veteran Raider: [T14] 10/16H, [T15] 12/13H, [T16] 7/14H
    FFXIV Stuff: i96 WHM/i94 SCH/i84 WAR/i83 BRD; T1-4, Garuda/Titan/Ifrit Xs

  11. #211
    The Lightbringer Collegeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,517
    I would love to go metric. I hate it the most in distance. However, you can keep your worthless celsius.

    Celsius can go die in a fire. It's not accurate, and not even remotely relative to human perception. Basing a temperature system off of when water freezes and boils puts it at a disadvantage for human sensitivity.

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    I don't use english in daily life, but i do use when i am in an international ambient. Its the same thing.
    But i have to say is nice to know americans are taught about this system, but americans should do an effort to use it when talking to someone from another country, since this person did the effort to learn another language to talk to you.
    Oh please. I'll use Imperial and if you say you don't have the time to convert it I'll convert it. For personal conversations, I mean. For business conversations I will give measurements in both imperial and metric. Problem fucking solved. You were complaining about someone telling you they got about 3 inches of snow, iirc? That is 7.62 CM's, as 1 inch = 2.54 cm.

  13. #213
    Lol i never fucking understood the Farenheight system other than I like it around 72. Completely retarded!

  14. #214
    Mechagnome vastx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    I don't use english in daily life, but i do use when i am in an international ambient. Its the same thing.
    But i have to say is nice to know americans are taught about this system, but americans should do an effort to use it when talking to someone from another country, since this person did the effort to learn another language to talk to you.
    I don't know what to say. Why would I go out of my way to talk about the metric system? It's pointless in a random conversation.

  15. #215
    I voted Yes simply because I have family in the US and when I am there I usually have to do som handywork and using american tools to make anything is impossible.

  16. #216
    Legendary! Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    (USA) Florida
    Posts
    6,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyos View Post
    Lastly the date thing...i vote everyone should go month/day/year...I dont know how its done else where but when i ask someone the date they say "December 12th, 2012"
    the say month then the day then the year...makes more sense to me to write it the same way.
    The date's a bit different though and has little to no change if we were to change it. It's just be swapping some Xs with some Ys (e.g., XX/YY/ZZ in some places now becomes YY/XX/ZZ)

    Whereas with Metric, it just makes the lives of Americans so much easier should we swap to that superior system.

    Retired Veteran Raider: [T14] 10/16H, [T15] 12/13H, [T16] 7/14H
    FFXIV Stuff: i96 WHM/i94 SCH/i84 WAR/i83 BRD; T1-4, Garuda/Titan/Ifrit Xs

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    *Coughs* Um, no, people from another country typically DON'T learn our language...
    Yes, they do. More people speak English, if not their first language, but they can speak it, than any other language in the world.

  18. #218
    Mechagnome LolretKJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    639
    I already use the metric system when talking to most people. I got so used to it being a biology major.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

  19. #219
    Mechagnome vastx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    TBH, I'd actually be for having English be the official language (because technically, it already is, despite a lot of immigrants speaking other languages), except with that, you're not forced to use it. That's like saying you're FORCED to use French when you visit France or Italian when you visit Italy, when you're not, but you may have a hard time.

    You're more than welcome to use imperial units should we switch to Metric, you just might be called silly for using a system that essentially a child would use.

    Also, I was just quoting you because I was laughing with you. The guy's a dumbass.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 12:42 AM ----------



    *Coughs* Um, no, people from another country typically DON'T learn our language...
    Guy seems to be the type of politician who doesn't know when to shut up. Imperial system appears to be child-like because of the time in which it came to fruition. But like I said, it works. It's a proven method of measure. I'd imagine in time, we'll switch to metric, but won't be anytime soon.

  20. #220
    Warchief Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the mountains
    Posts
    2,154
    no, why? because we are better than everyone else.


    its like asking UK to go to the EURO.
    Milk was a bad choice.

    2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •