View Poll Results: Should America go metric?

Voters
1231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I'm American.

320 26.00%
  • No, and I'm American.

144 11.70%
  • Yes, and I'm NOT American.

741 60.19%
  • No, and I'm NOT American.

26 2.11%
Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, and there would be no metric unit for how long it takes the Earth to complete a rotation. That would be really messed up from a scheduling standpoint.
    thats the whole point of metric, doesnt matter if it makes sense just has to have stuff divisible by 10 to make the math easier.

Using metric, you can completely trash British units and forget about them

If you use British you need to know both. Waste of time and energy

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I just checked, apparently 0 fahrenheit is the freezing point of Brine.

i guess thats a useful thing to know....
    Too cool for a signature

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Even metric's date is wrong. YYYY/MM/DD sorting by MSD. Also, Kelvin.
    Yea, I never understood why we display time in largest to smallest, yet YMD is done in either of those formats from OP.

Grunt
    I vote for yes, but not soo fast, people need time to get used to it.

In the school we needed to convert from km/h to m/s becasue the m/s can be used in formulas using SI system.
    Already seen a lot of length in inches, but it was not a problem, so people in the sates can get used to metric system.

According to date format, we are using the same logical order in Hungary as in Japan: YYYY-MM-DD
    Time format is HH-MM-SS, so bigger value at left side, I never understood why need to use different order for date.
    Not saying about the impossible mission to decide between the british and american date format. How cam you tell if 2/6/4 is February or June.
    And yes if you liked to sort them it is much more sense to see Year and left side, just try it out.

Someone told that 24 hour system need to be learned? Was it serious? My son not 8 years old, but already knows that 20 hour is 8 pm.
    For me its obvious when we are saying 21 o'clock, it will be at night. If written only 9 o'clock without am/pm affix it can be either in the morning or at night.

On the top of it, we are consistent to write bigger value on the left side, think because we are reading from left to write.
    Addresses: Country, City, Street, Number
    Name: Family name then Given name (maybe japanese use the same order at names)
    Both can be useful when you have a list of address or names. Like in the post, you can know from it, which belongs to the same city. Or names you will find your family name much easier, becasue they are more unique and people from the same family will be together.

Just like numbers, everbody write 12 300 as 12 thousand and 3 hundred, nobody trying to write in the reverse order. Same reason, you can sort the list, and see which is the biggest at a glance. Just like with dates and rest.

It means 32 degrees colder than the freezing point of water.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 08:47 PM ----------

God Reagan was a jackass. No metric system, the war on drugs...
    So basically it means nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    thats the whole point of metric, doesnt matter if it makes sense just has to have stuff divisible by 10 to make the math easier.
    But a system of time measurement should be reasonably intuitive and practical. It's practical to have measurements of time that correlate with the waking and sleeping cycles of humans.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

But a system of time measurement should be reasonably intuitive and practical. It's practical to have measurements of time that correlate with the waking and sleeping cycles of humans.
    but why not for measurement? Cus that's how the other system started.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i guess thats a useful thing to know....
    Was just wondering what was it based on. Thought 0 fahrenheit was just completely random point Mr. Fahrenheit pulled out of his ass and thought it was as good as any to be the starting point.

Yes!
    We should have been using the metric system a long time ago!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr
    I thought doing the toothpaste-tube-squeeze and vigorous shake was the "traditional" way.

I fail to see what either system has to do with the formatting of dates!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueness View Post
    I fail to see what either system has to do with the formatting of dates!
    Neither system uses metric for dates.

Obviously changing to metric wouldn't be an overnight process, but at least it would bring us up to the same standard as most of the rest of the civilized world. I remember in school they taught us the metric system, but never tested us on it. It was a total waste

Both systems should be taught/tested on for a few decades before swapping over to teaching metric exclusively.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Let's be clear: It's Pandaria, not 'panda land'. Everyone got the message?
    -Yes, yes let the anger FLOW through you.
    WoD is just another lazy expansion, they reskin outlands and resort to time travel to keep the cash cow flowing. Honestly you people will buy anything!

we should have metric calenders too with 10 months, and 100 days per month 10 day weeks, etc 10 hours per day, 100 mintues and seconds.
    would 1 year be 1 1/3 human birthcycles in imperial then? built on the same logic your foot and yard comes from

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    If we go metric system can everybody else go with the English language that would be awesome.
    The funny thing is, they already have.

I guess the joke's on you, funny man and/or woman.

And the date formatting in the US is fucking ridiculous. Even more so when it's forced upon users in software without a little tickbox to change it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then the [MMORPG] genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world" [...]

Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    would 1 year be 1 1/3 human birthcycles in imperial then? built on the same logic your foot and yard comes from
    no, because year is based solstace.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    Obviously changing to metric wouldn't be an overnight process, but at least it would bring us up to the same standard as most of the rest of the civilized world. I remember in school they taught us the metric system, but never tested us on it. It was a total waste

Both systems should be taught/tested on for a few decades before swapping over to teaching metric exclusively.
    doesnt matter what you teach in school metric is already taught, but when you go to the store most things are standard, when you get gasoline for your car its in gallons, stuff liek that is why we havent changed.

Mechagnome
    That's the stuff that if you thought longterm it could be benefitial if you slowly started to double mark. Since on the Long-Term earth is either going to crash and burn, or go into a global culture. And sure as hell Imperial won't be the standard unit in it.

but why not for measurement? Cus that's how the other system started.
    Celsius does exactly that. It makes 0 and 100 easily referenceable and intuitive measurements. If cups and feet were all the same size, you might have an argument for volume and distance, but they aren't. The length of time the Earth takes for 1 rotation, however, is constant and easily observable.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Was just wondering what was it based on. Thought 0 fahrenheit was just completely random point Mr. Fahrenheit pulled out of his ass and thought it was as good as any to be the starting point.
    "The Fahrenheit scale divided the freezing and boiling points of water into 180 degrees. 32°F was the freezing pint of water and 212°F was the boiling point of water. 0°F was based on the temperature of an equal mixture of water, ice, and salt. Daniel Fahrenheit based his temperature scale on the temperature of the human body. Originally, the human body temperature was 100° F on the Fahrenheit scale, but it has since been adjusted to 98.6°F."

so yeah, 0=brine, 100=human, the rest scaling from there, or something.

I've no opposition to the metric system, but most products have both "imperial" and metric so it's not as big a deal as it's made out to be.

The date thing doesn't make a world of difference, it's just change for the sake of change, IMO. If you're writing the date out, the month is probably more important than the day (and if you're speaking causally, you'd only say the day, not the entire set), if it's long enough ago, then the year would be more important.

I do think the metric system's common usage is a bit off though, given the vast difference in usage of say, a meter vs a gram vs a liter. Obviously different materials will vary, but if a meter was the size of a foot or thereabouts, with a gram a pound or thereabouts and a liter is fine or maybe could be a gallon... But as is, a gram is a tiny thing, most measurements are kilograms. A meter is a long system for small scale measurements. I'm okay with liters though.

I think that'd be part of the issue too. Soda and water is sold in half liter, liter, 2 liter. Food is still sold by pound or liquid ounce though. The system if fine, the common usages are not.

Celsius does exactly that. It makes 0 and 100 easily referenceable and intuitive measurements. If cups and feet were all the same size, you might have an argument for volume and distance, but they aren't. The length of time the Earth takes for 1 rotation, however, is constant and easily observable.
    Well Fahrenheit is easy 0 is temprature of frozen brine, 32 is frozen water, and 100 is body temperature when you have a fever as measured by Fahrenheit.