Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I fail to see what either system has to do with the formatting of dates!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueness View Post
    I fail to see what either system has to do with the formatting of dates!
    Neither system uses metric for dates.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously changing to metric wouldn't be an overnight process, but at least it would bring us up to the same standard as most of the rest of the civilized world. I remember in school they taught us the metric system, but never tested us on it. It was a total waste

Both systems should be taught/tested on for a few decades before swapping over to teaching metric exclusively.
    Let's make America GREAT again. Trump 2016.

The community whined and bitched and cried, they stamped their little feet and demanded faster expansion releases. They don't get to complain now that expansions are shorter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    we should have metric calenders too with 10 months, and 100 days per month 10 day weeks, etc 10 hours per day, 100 mintues and seconds.
    would 1 year be 1 1/3 human birthcycles in imperial then? built on the same logic your foot and yard comes from

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    If we go metric system can everybody else go with the English language that would be awesome.
    The funny thing is, they already have.

I guess the joke's on you, funny man and/or woman.

And the date formatting in the US is fucking ridiculous. Even more so when it's forced upon users in software without a little tickbox to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by mofi View Post
    would 1 year be 1 1/3 human birthcycles in imperial then? built on the same logic your foot and yard comes from
    no, because year is based solstace.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecrafts View Post
    Obviously changing to metric wouldn't be an overnight process, but at least it would bring us up to the same standard as most of the rest of the civilized world. I remember in school they taught us the metric system, but never tested us on it. It was a total waste

Both systems should be taught/tested on for a few decades before swapping over to teaching metric exclusively.
    doesnt matter what you teach in school metric is already taught, but when you go to the store most things are standard, when you get gasoline for your car its in gallons, stuff liek that is why we havent changed.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's the stuff that if you thought longterm it could be benefitial if you slowly started to double mark. Since on the Long-Term earth is either going to crash and burn, or go into a global culture. And sure as hell Imperial won't be the standard unit in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    but why not for measurement? Cus that's how the other system started.
    Celsius does exactly that. It makes 0 and 100 easily referenceable and intuitive measurements. If cups and feet were all the same size, you might have an argument for volume and distance, but they aren't. The length of time the Earth takes for 1 rotation, however, is constant and easily observable.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Was just wondering what was it based on. Thought 0 fahrenheit was just completely random point Mr. Fahrenheit pulled out of his ass and thought it was as good as any to be the starting point.
    "The Fahrenheit scale divided the freezing and boiling points of water into 180 degrees. 32°F was the freezing pint of water and 212°F was the boiling point of water. 0°F was based on the temperature of an equal mixture of water, ice, and salt. Daniel Fahrenheit based his temperature scale on the temperature of the human body. Originally, the human body temperature was 100° F on the Fahrenheit scale, but it has since been adjusted to 98.6°F."

so yeah, 0=brine, 100=human, the rest scaling from there, or something.

I've no opposition to the metric system, but most products have both "imperial" and metric so it's not as big a deal as it's made out to be.

The date thing doesn't make a world of difference, it's just change for the sake of change, IMO. If you're writing the date out, the month is probably more important than the day (and if you're speaking causally, you'd only say the day, not the entire set), if it's long enough ago, then the year would be more important.

I do think the metric system's common usage is a bit off though, given the vast difference in usage of say, a meter vs a gram vs a liter. Obviously different materials will vary, but if a meter was the size of a foot or thereabouts, with a gram a pound or thereabouts and a liter is fine or maybe could be a gallon... But as is, a gram is a tiny thing, most measurements are kilograms. A meter is a long system for small scale measurements. I'm okay with liters though.

I think that'd be part of the issue too. Soda and water is sold in half liter, liter, 2 liter. Food is still sold by pound or liquid ounce though. The system if fine, the common usages are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Celsius does exactly that. It makes 0 and 100 easily referenceable and intuitive measurements. If cups and feet were all the same size, you might have an argument for volume and distance, but they aren't. The length of time the Earth takes for 1 rotation, however, is constant and easily observable.
    Well Fahrenheit is easy 0 is temprature of frozen brine, 32 is frozen water, and 100 is body temperature when you have a fever as measured by Fahrenheit.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    That's the stuff that if you thought longterm it could be benefitial if you slowly started to double mark. Since on the Long-Term earth is either going to crash and burn, or go into a global culture. And sure as hell Imperial won't be the standard unit in it.
    Nearly all products are double marked. Cars are double marked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Fahrenheit is easy 0 is temprature of frozen brine, 32 is frozen water, and 100 is body temperature when you have a fever as measured by Fahrenheit.
    Frozen Brine isn't exactly something I encounter in my regular life, and besides, brine isn't a consistent thing. How much salt does the brine that freezes at 0F have?

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    I like the chart you showed.. Minus the blatant bias against the American system.

Doesn't seem to stop us from being the first to get to Mars or the first in quite a bit of historical mile stones is it?

Shame.
    I wouldn't say historical milestones if you have but a little more then 200 years of history. Name any breakthroughs the US made that was not based on European or Asian discoveries. You'd have never gotten to the moon without german rocket scientists.

Frozen Brine isn't exactly something I encounter in my regular life, and besides, brine isn't a consistent thing. How much salt does the brine that freezes at 0F have?
    he did salt water and something else in a 1:1:1 ratio.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    I would prefer the metric system since I've used it a lot but the dating system is not metric. Also Fahrenheit is more useful for everyday situations like the weather. There is too much difference between 5 Celsius degrees, the temperature range in most places would only be +/-20-30 C through the whole year.
    I signed in to tell you that your incorrect with that, It only ever gets to -1 and below here where I love in canada during winter, where it gets as low as -40 The summer time it rangs anywhere from +20 to +40 which is pretty freakig hot .-.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I wouldn't say historical milestones if you have but a little more then 200 years of history. Name any breakthroughs the US made that was not based on European or Asian discoveries. You'd have never gotten to the moon without german rocket scientists.
    we have thousands of years of history, and are older than most modern countries, and the fact that we can get the best minds from around the world shows that we da bess.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Yes yes yes! Metric rules.

10+ Year Old Account
    we have thousands of years of history, and are older than most modern countries, and the fact that we can get the best minds from around the world shows that we da bess.
    Thousands of years of history? Where? You may be able to find an archaeological record in some places, but no true historical record.

Thousands of years of history? Where? You may be able to find an archaeological record in some places, but no true historical record.
    well it is certainly longer than 200 years.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    well it is certainly longer than 200 years.
    We can agree on that.