Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm all for it. The ONLY argument I can think of against it is that it would take a very long time before rural areas started using it and that could cause confusion for travelers.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

America, first you didn't wanna give up your slaves, now you don't wanna give up your inches and yards. What a bunch of babies!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I wouldn't say historical milestones if you have but a little more then 200 years of history. Name any breakthroughs the US made that was not based on European or Asian discoveries. You'd have never gotten to the moon without german rocket scientists.
    That's a terrible argument. It's like saying the discovery of calculus is a lie because it wouldn't have occurred if it weren't for the discovery of zero in India or Algebra in the Middle East.

It might be true in a microchosm of thinking but give credit where credit is due. Every idea is a build up on someone else's. There's little to nothing "original".
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    well it is certainly longer than 200 years.
    Ummm... the US was first start of history is in 1492... with Christopher Columbus... Canada's history being from the viking's back way before 1490's.. But officially discovered roughly 3? years before the US. so you have about 600 year's, Not thousands of years, Man poorly educated about your own country... That blows

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    America, first you didn't wanna give up your slaves, now you don't wanna give up your inches and yards. What a bunch of babies!
    only the south wouldn't give up their slaves we even had a war about it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 09:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sheathx View Post
    Ummm... the US was first start of history is in 1492... with Christopher Columbus... Canada's history being from the viking's back way before 1490's.. But officially discovered roughly 3? years before the US. so you have about 600 year's, Not thousands of years, Man poorly educated about your own country... That blows
    yes christopher columbus was the first human ever in the land now known as the United states, Thanks for informing me.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Columbus didn't discover what is now known as the US...he never even set foot on "US Soil." Unless you count Puerto Rico. He discovered "The Americas" which is not the same thing as "The US" as it were...

only the south wouldn't give up their slaves we even had a war about it.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 09:32 PM ----------

yes christopher columbus was the first human ever in the land now known as the United states, Thanks for informing me.
    Not the first human, First humans would be the first nations(Aboriginals )

Columbus didn't discover what is now known as the US...he never even set foot on "US Soil." Unless you count Puerto Rico.
    Puerto Rico is the US.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 09:34 PM ----------

Not the first human, First humans would be the first nations(Aboriginals )
    exactly the US has a much longer history than people usually give us credit for.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're getting on his case by quoting where he said that yeah, it wasn't a thousand year, but more than 200? He's right, and you're giving him crap anyway?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Puerto Rico is the US.
    after 1917...

Columbus didn't discover what is now known as the US...he never even set foot on "US Soil." Unless you count Puerto Rico. He discovered "The Americas" which is not the same thing as "The US" as it were...
    Or well.. he discovered this half of the world .-. Is what I mean, Lol, Columbus discovered Canada(Newfoundland to be exact) from there everything went off in a chain of events

after 1917...
    so does that make it less of a part of the country? no it doesn't
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Or well.. he discovered this half of the world .-. Is what I mean, Lol, Columbus discovered Canada(Newfoundland to be exact) from there everything went off in a chain of events
    Columbus never went further north than the Florida Keys...

so does that make it less of a part of the country? no it doesn't
    It's still fucking irrelevant...Columbus never discovered "The US." Are you seriously going to split hairs over Puerto Rico?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You're getting on his case by quoting where he said that yeah, it wasn't a thousand year, but more than 200? He's right, and you're giving him crap anyway?
    I didn't see where he said it, because I hadn't refreshed by page.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    What do you think .22, .223, .308, .357, .45, and .50 mean?
    It's ironic, and I am suprised noone else has pointed it out, but you are using a decimal (as in a metric measurement, base 10) to show calibers in inches? Surely these should be fractions, as in 5/16s, 3/4s etc.?

10+ Year Old Account
    As for innovations by the US, how about oil drilling? Hydrocarbon cracking?

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    It's ironic, and I am suprised noone else has pointed it out, but you are using a decimal (as in a metric measurement, base 10) to show calibers in inches? Surely these should be fractions, as in 5/16s, 3/4s etc.?
    you can use decimals with the imperial system, why couldn't you?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    you can use decimals with the imperial system, why couldn't you?
    So, for instance (please excuse my ignorance, this is a genuine question), you would be happy saying 0.5 of an inch instead of half an inch? It just doesn't make sense to me and seems almost out of place. Like the two shouldn't mix?

10+ Year Old Account
    Are we really going there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    So, for instance (please excuse my ignorance, this is a genuine question), you would be happy saying 0.5 of an inch instead of half an inch? It just doesn't make sense to me and seems almost out of place. Like the two shouldn't mix?
    You may not be able to mix oil and water, but you sure can emulsify it!