View Poll Results: Should America go metric?

Voters
1231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I'm American.

    320 26.00%
  • No, and I'm American.

    144 11.70%
  • Yes, and I'm NOT American.

    741 60.19%
  • No, and I'm NOT American.

    26 2.11%
Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ...
26
34
35
36
37
38
46
... LastLast
  1. #701
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Thank you for the personal insults, they're clearly furthering your argument.
    Please quote me where I said that using celsius to determine what clothes to wear is hard.
    I said that fahrenheit was a more practical system to use to measure human comfort on a 0-100 scale, and that the systems were different and that there's nothing wrong with that.
    I honestly have no idea why you're taking this so personally that you feel the need to attack me...
    We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Conform or DIE! :P

  2. #702
    Herald of the Titans Santti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I used to live in a place that got below 0 F every winter.
    I've always lived in such place, which would be Finland. It's cold here!

  3. #703
    Over 9000! Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    9,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    Why not just add ONE word to the phrase to make it easy to understand. For example "Half past 12" would be 12:30, and "Quarter to 9" would be 8:45. I can't help you with "3 quarters 12" though, I'd probably respond with "sorry, I'm American and ignorant, can you please just point me to a watch".
    What you said is used, like I pointed out... It's not as easy with time specification in Germany, as our austrian friend said.
    The reason? Laziness. Southern Germans and Coastal Germans are lazy with language. Everything has to be simplified.

    But don't worry too much. I've not seen someone translating that stuff literally, when they talked english or any other language in that matter.
    It's strict national.

  4. #704
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I've always lived in such place, which would be Finland. It's cold here!
    So I'm confused why you are asking why it is important to know what '0F' feels like to a human? I mean after a certain point it doesn't feel colder, you just cold faster, but I guess I'm not sure why you are saying it doesn't matter?

  5. #705
    Herald of the Titans Santti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,614
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So I'm confused why you are asking why it is important to know what '0F' feels like to a human? I mean after a certain point it doesn't feel colder, you just cold faster, but I guess I'm not sure why you are saying it doesn't matter?
    I wasn't asking what it feels to human at 0 fahrenheit. I know how it feels. Checked how much that is, which is -17.7 celcius. No such winter here when it isn't past that with ease. I have to admit, I worded it poorly. But 0 celcius is just more handy. That's when water freezes, meaning you have to drive carefully, as the roads can be slippery with ice.
    Last edited by Santti; 2012-12-14 at 10:34 AM.

  6. #706
    Over 9000! Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    9,742
    To the debate about cold and the temperature scales....

    Zero Degrees..... The value at which water freezes.... An absolute number even. A neutral if you will.... No positive, no negative. From there on out, either forward or backwards, things come to "live" again. Zero is a void.

    Whereas now for Fahrenheit.... 32
    32 is a positive number. 32 equals 0C, water freezes.... It's for humans hella cold. In fact, without proper protection we will not survive in that temperature for very long.
    How can negative conditions be expressed, or defined if you will, by a positive number? There's nothing positive.
    0 Fahrenheit.... What's that mean in human terms?
    Does it mean zero business to leave the house anymore?

    For someone living through and with both systems.. I can handle the transition just fine. But the temperature measuring in the USA with Fahrenheit is a clusterfuck for me.
    It throws me off for 15 years already, and will another 30 years. With everything else I could get used to pretty fast and fine, with the temps it's a weird thing.

  7. #707
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I wasn't asking what it feels to human at 0 fahrenheit. I know how it feels. Checked how much that is, which is -17.7 celcius. No such winter here when it isn't past that with ease. I have to admit, I worded it poorly. But 0 celcius is just more handy. That's when water freezes, meaning you have to drive carefully, as the roads can be slippery with ice.
    Meh, I was talking to someone from NZ and she was saying it was 28 degrees and they were going swimming, and my reaction was 'you have a polar bear club? awesome!'. It is only odd or confusing if you haven't literally used it your whole life. I maintain there is no difference in how 'good' it is between F and C. If we want a real measurement of temp, we should all switch to Kelvin :P

  8. #708
    Over 9000! Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    9,742
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I used to live in a place that got below 0 F every winter.
    I DO live in such place.
    100+ during the summer, and below 0 during the winter.

  9. #709
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I DO live in such place.
    100+ during the summer, and below 0 during the winter.
    Yes we are past this, I thought Santti was saying there is no reason to know what 0F is, (s)he expounded his point and I understood.

  10. #710
    The Lightbringer N-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Who said they couldn't use what they want?
    Are you trying to argue for the sake of arguing? I wouldn't know if anyone said anything I've responded to the OP and didn't actually read any other post.

  11. #711
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I said that fahrenheit was a more practical system to use to measure human comfort on a 0-100 scale, and that the systems were different and that there's nothing wrong with that.
    aint nothing wrong with that, though i´d say it only describes human comfort well because you know what that numbers relate to, if you had no clue what 32F ment, you´d freeze your ass off, it´s not 1/3 of your body temperature, it´s 100% below your body temperature

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    What you said is used, like I pointed out... It's not as easy with time specification in Germany, as our austrian friend said.
    The reason? Laziness. Southern Germans and Coastal Germans are lazy with language. Everything has to be simplified.

    But don't worry too much. I've not seen someone translating that stuff literally, when they talked english or any other language in that matter.
    It's strict national.
    fun fact, i know a bunch of people from northern germany and they understand everytime i´m talking about when raid starts and when it ends, some guys from between southern and nothern germany had issues with "quarter 12" but not too long *g*

    and i appreciate the "austrian friend"
    secretly gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Remember, a firearm homicide is not always firearm violence.

  12. #712
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    What you said is used, like I pointed out... It's not as easy with time specification in Germany, as our austrian friend said.
    The reason? Laziness. Southern Germans and Coastal Germans are lazy with language. Everything has to be simplified.

    But don't worry too much. I've not seen someone translating that stuff literally, when they talked english or any other language in that matter.
    It's strict national.
    That's the reason why every time i travel abroad when someone asks for the time i tell em the actual friggin time so no one get's confused
    If it's for ex a bit past 12.30 i tell em it's 12.37 or the like so no one gets confused.
    Last edited by Tyresias; 2012-12-14 at 10:51 AM.

  13. #713
    Warchief Flutterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Derpifornia
    Posts
    2,055
    Don't nerf the system for the bads!

  14. #714
    And also convert to ISO dating yyyy-mm-dd and that goes for certain European countries too

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 12:01 PM ----------

    Celsius scale is not any more logical than Fahrenheit scale is. The temperature of freezing water is just as arbitrary as the temperature of salted ice. Kelvin scale on the other hand is logical, at least from the 0 point perspective. It just so happens that the scale of it is the same as the Celsius'.

  15. #715
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The cold, cold, north.
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Meh, I was talking to someone from NZ and she was saying it was 28 degrees and they were going swimming, and my reaction was 'you have a polar bear club? awesome!'. It is only odd or confusing if you haven't literally used it your whole life. I maintain there is no difference in how 'good' it is between F and C. If we want a real measurement of temp, we should all switch to Kelvin :P
    The only difference between Kelvin and Celsius is where the 0's at. The magnitue of each degree is the same, everything. It's just that when dealing with common day temperatures Celsius make's more sense to us with how our mind works. Zero is a tangible number to work out from. Which scientists do when using Kelvin. It doesn't do it when you work in a kitchen, or look out side to see if the water is freezing.
    So if you want Kelvin you should be just bloody fine with Celsius since it uses the same magnitude of scale, only have a different zero. They just have different practicalities.
    Last edited by Muzjhath; 2012-12-14 at 11:08 AM.

  16. #716
    Maybe, OP, if you hadn't come up with the most insulting way of displaying your reasoning, I MIGHT have agreed with you. But instead... I'll just vote no as an American and tell you to piss off. Especially when it comes to the calendar. How is saying the month over the day illogical? Because you aren't used to it?

    Piss off.

  17. #717
    Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    Celsius scale is not any more logical than Fahrenheit scale is. The temperature of freezing water is just as arbitrary as the temperature of salted ice. Kelvin scale on the other hand is logical, at least from the 0 point perspective. It just so happens that the scale of it is the same as the Celsius'.
    Except for the fact that pure water is what brings nature to life. Stay below 0 C and you will get snow, ground will freeze and many plants will drops their leaves and go dormant or just wither. On the other hand stay above 0 C and the opposite will happen. I'd say that is pretty logical for normal person's point of view. Alson kelvin doesn't "just happen" to follow same scale as celsius, it was deliberately built that way by Lord Kelvin.

  18. #718
    Quote Originally Posted by Grakey View Post
    Do some research and calculate how much it would cost, then look at current economic times, and then ask yourself if that is something we really need to be doing.
    It can be done gradually, let's say for example that a new hypothetical law says every new road sign has to include both measures, and in 20 years all the new road signs will only contain metric values.
    This way you have no extra expense at all, you just insert the new system in the normal road sign replacement cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

  19. #719
    Field Marshal ashankt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    74
    America is inching its way to the Metric system...

  20. #720
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    I like the chart you showed.. Minus the blatant bias against the American system.

    Doesn't seem to stop us from being the first to get to Mars or the first in quite a bit of historical mile stones is it?

    Shame.
    In other words: I'd better cry about something unrelated to validate the usage of something reduntant.

    Relevant: I've got 2200 rating in 2v2, which means peanut butter is good nutrition.
    I'm not a native English speaker, and yet, I don't suck at English. The argument "English is not my mother tongue" doesn't actually give you an excuse to do so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •