Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Because no one ever makes measuring mistakes in metric.
    Very few.. and in high tech there's a high quality control in place.
    As for Germany, we have that control even perverted.. I admit that right away.
    You cannot produce ANYTHING without being subject to a Norm catalog.
    For everything you will find a norm, which is essentially law. Depending on the level of precision, the room for error ; read allowed tolerance ; can be as little as 0.005%.

So now, from there it is a lot easier to stay within that tolerance, when you deal with micro measurements.
    And do not ignore the first key sentence. We are not talking about simple stuff. We are talking about trade goods...
    You know, there's not a single country that is self sustained. ALL Countries living from Import and Export.
    The latter is where the money is... The more you can export, the more income you produce.
    If you make stuff at your own pleasure and likes, no one else can use it.. No one else will buy it.
    Now, for the import... If you live isolated from the international standard, no one can sell you anything. Because no one can afford to make things specifically tailored for you. Twice the amount of machinery prep time? Not profitable.
    So, if country A cannot sell you goods, why should country A buy your goods preferably?

The world works differently... And I said that too already a few pages earlier.. if you pay attention when you shop, you will find metric information on packaging of most goods in the USA.
    There's only one reason in my opinion why the country hasn't fully switched yet, and that's that Carter had just one term as President. He was the last President who pushed for the total switch, nationally. Internationally that change took already place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Very few.. and in high tech there's a high quality control in place.
    As for Germany, we have that control even perverted.. I admit that right away.
    You cannot produce ANYTHING without being subject to a Norm catalog.
    For everything you will find a norm, which is essentially law. Depending on the level of precision, the room for error ; read allowed tolerance ; can be as little as 0.005%.

So now, from there it is a lot easier to stay within that tolerance, when you deal with micro measurements.
    And do not ignore the first key sentence. We are not talking about simple stuff. We are talking about trade goods...
    You know, there's not a single country that is self sustained. ALL Countries living from Import and Export.
    The latter is where the money is... The more you can export, the more income you produce.
    If you make stuff at your own pleasure and likes, no one else can use it.. No one else will buy it.
    Now, for the import... If you live isolated from the international standard, no one can sell you anything. Because no one can afford to make things specifically tailored for you. Twice the amount of machinery prep time? Not profitable.
    So, if country A cannot sell you goods, why should country A buy your goods preferably?

The world works differently... And I said that too already a few pages earlier.. if you pay attention when you shop, you will find metric information on packaging of most goods in the USA.
    There's only one reason in my opinion why the country hasn't fully switched yet, and that's that Carter had just one term as President. He was the last President who pushed for the total switch, nationally. Internationally that change took already place.
    So you want to make sure you're getting the exact amount of cheesy poofs that the bag says it contains?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    There's a very valid point. And that is the univeral use. The whole world uses the metric system. You just get in line, for a better, universal understanding.

Like I pointed out before. I believe, and I'm actually pretty sure that the USA has been sued on international court over the usage of their non-metric system in trade.
    It caused problems over and over again. The metric system is just much easier and in regards of products a lot more precise.
    When it comes to extremely precise numbers then it's a lot more efficient to count in fractions of millimeters than in fractions of inches.
    As an example.... A Micrometer...
    in metric. it is precisely 0.001 millimeter
    and approximately 0.000039 inches.
    in high end/high tech precision about and approximate have no place. Precision is precision. No error allowed. It can be fatal.
    The real difference is that the metric system is scalable, we can create any <prefix>meter if we have the need and it will be the previous divided or multiplied by 1000. That's why we do have a units like the micrometer or the nanometer, they were created when we had the need to. The imperial system is based on tradition and is fixed.
    Behold, I'm creating right now the unit "Gigameter", it is one million kilometers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    The real difference is that the metric system is scalable, we can create any <prefix>meter if we have the need and it will be the previous divided or multiplied by 1000. That's why we do have a units like the micrometer or the nanometer, they were created when we had the need to. The imperial system is based on tradition and is fixed.
    Behold, I'm creating right now the unit "Gigameter", it is one million kilometers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigametre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix

A list of all the prefixes, if someone is interested in them.
    Last edited by Santti; 2012-12-14 at 01:41 PM.

Deleted
    NO It is way to complicated, image the logic that 10mm = 1 cm and 10 cm =1 dm and 10 dm = 1m.....

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigametre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix

A list of all the prefixes, if someone is interested in them.
    See? I didn't even know it existed, it is just that easy
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultragrisen View Post
    NO It is way to complicated, image the logic that 10mm = 1 cm and 10 cm =1 dm and 10 dm = 1m.....
    i call witchhood/witchery/witch-uhm-stuff ? insane!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    America should go metro sexual!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Why the hell should it matter how you measure something so long as the person your talking too knows what you mean?

I'm from the UK and grew up in a strange time. We "went decimal" at the beginning of the 1970's and so I was educated by people who were learning both systems.

I believe the US tend to think that the UK is Metric. Far from it. Most people tend to swap between the two systems at their convenience.

If I were to ask someone how big a piece of wood we needed....they might say to me....."yeah we need some 4 by 2"....4 inch by 2 inch. Sheets of plywood even today are sold in 6 x 4 ft.

If I were to (as I do at work) do an engineering exam of a bridge and I find a crack in some concrete, I'd measure it in millimetres. In fact all dimensions would be metric. But at the same time, the railway system itself is measured in Miles, CHAINS and Yards. And chains are an absolutely ancient unit of measurement.

End of day. Use whatever system you dam well like.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you want to make sure you're getting the exact amount of cheesy poofs that the bag says it contains?
    Yup.. you can say it like that. Staying on the German example. it wouldn't be the first time for a company to get caught and fined for "consumer fraud" if the amount IN the package does not meet the number stated ON the package. The German law is touchy in that regard.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 08:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by redderz1 View Post
    I believe the US tend to think that the UK is Metric. Far from it. Most people tend to swap between the two systems at their convenience.
    Yeah, learned that long ago too.... Played Warhammer tabletop battles... There, inches are used for movement of troops, and long range attacks.
    That's fun.. a bunch of Germans sitting there, guessing distances in another measuring system. Hilarious results, let me tell ya.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by redderz1 View Post
    Why the hell should it matter how you measure something so long as the person your talking too knows what you mean?

I'm from the UK and grew up in a strange time. We "went decimal" at the beginning of the 1970's and so I was educated by people who were learning both systems.

If I were to ask someone how big a piece of wood we needed....they might say to me....."yeah we need some 4 by 2"....4 inch by 2 inch. Sheets of plywood even today are sold in 6 x 4 ft.

If I were to (as I do at work) do an engineering exam of a bridge and I find a crack in some concrete, I'd measure it in millimetres. In fact all dimensions would be metric. But at the same time, the railway system itself is measured in Miles, CHAINS and Yards. And chains are an absolutely ancient unit of measurement.

End of day. Use whatever system you dam well like.
    Cos it is impractical since the rest of the world use another system. Every second there is a misstake made somewhere that will cost someone time and money due to misstakes converting them into each other.
    If disregarding the temporarily issues for quit some time to go metric, there is zero upside of not doing it

It is really the same about driving on the same side of the road, no sense not doing it once the issues of swapping in itself has passed.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Cos it is impractical since the rest of the world use another system. Every second there is a misstake made somewhere that will cost someone time and money due to misstakes converting them into each other.
    If disregarding the temporarily issues for quit some time to go metric, there is zero upside of not doing it

It is really the same about driving on the same side of the road, no sense not doing it once the issues of swapping in itself has passed.
    It would cost the US a tremendous amount of money to convert the system. Now...If the EU was willing to pay for the US's conversion to Metric, we might be able to work something out.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes

just shut it with the whole day month year things, that 1 is 100% irrelevent

15+ Year Old Account
    It would cost the US a tremendous amount of money to convert the system. Now...If the EU was willing to pay for the US's conversion to Metric, we might be able to work something out.
    Of cos it cost alot of money, most things do. However there is a reason the military uses it, the upsides are obviously huge but as you mention there is the issue of coughing up a huge ammount of money and letting 5-10 years of mayhem pass at the transition.

Question never been if its the right thing to do but if the the money can be spent to achive it.

10+ Year Old Account
    America should go metro sexual!
    waaaaayyyy ahead of you!

Allow me to quote myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    It can be done gradually, let's say for example that a new hypothetical law says every new road sign has to include both measures, and in 20 years all the new road signs will only contain metric values.
    This way you have no extra expense at all, you just insert the new system in the normal road sign replacement cycle.
    That's how we usually do our changes to adapt to EU rules, and trust me we had several things to change.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 03:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    just shut it with the whole day month year things, that 1 is 100% irrelevent
    I'm a programmer, I assure you it is really annoying when you see something like 01-05-2012 and you don't know what the hell is that

I understand your point, I guess I was looking at it from more of a "freedom to measure how you want". stance. Sure when talking engineering and commerce then metric makes more sense. I would think someone was an idiot if they tried to do an engineering exam of a railway structure in imperial.

My stance is more based on civil liberties.

Only a few years ago here in the UK, when the EU tried to enforce metric weights and measures, many peopleignored it and refused. Grocers working on street corners who had been selling lbs of bananas for 40 years refused. It went as far as these grocers having their imperial scales confiscated and even facing jail!

The bottom line of this argument was "who the f**k do the UE think they are to tell me I can no longer ask for a lb of bananas?"

The EU is pretty much all Metric. I just enjoy the system in the UK as we work with both. Travel on UK roads ? Everything is in miles. Buy some petrol, its sold in Litres.
    Last edited by redderz1; 2012-12-14 at 02:31 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultragrisen View Post
    No, it is very logical.

Most prefixes is in 1000 steps, like milli (*10^-3), micro (*10^-6), nano (*10^-9) and pico (*10^-12) donwside and kilo, mega and giga and tera for upside that you already know.

1000 millimeter is 1 meter (milli is /1000
    100 centimeter is 1 meter (centi is /100)
    10 decimeter is 1 meter (/10)

Same prefixes milli, centi, deci is used for liquid, like 2 deciliter is around a cup of tea or 4 centiliter is a good amount of spirit :-)

This unit was introduced for easier everyday life.
    Like A4 paper is 21cm wide, but in science they are probably use 210 mm for precision.
    Last edited by Kobor; 2012-12-14 at 02:31 PM.

Of cos it cost alot of money, most things do. However there is a reason the military uses it, the upsides are obviously huge but as you mention there is the issue of coughing up a huge ammount of money and letting 5-10 years of mayhem pass at the transition.

Question never been if its the right thing to do but if the the money can be spent to achive it.
    I'm not sure what the practical upsides are. While metric is superior, it doesn't really do anything for most people one way or the other.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm not sure what the practical upsides are. While metric is superior, it doesn't really do anything for most people one way or the other.
    It is logic and shared worldwide, two sides that might not seem to be super duper at first glance but are.
    Just imagine how much wasted money and time that are caused on daily basis.