View Poll Results: Should America go metric?

Voters
1231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I'm American.

    320 26.00%
  • No, and I'm American.

    144 11.70%
  • Yes, and I'm NOT American.

    741 60.19%
  • No, and I'm NOT American.

    26 2.11%
Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ...
30
38
39
40
41
42
... LastLast
  1. #781
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Well "we don't care" sounds like a reasonable argument to me. "We'd have to spend tons of money switching all the signs" doesn't.
    They're tied together. We don't care enough to have to spend that much money doing it, and if you don't think it would cost additional money even if we do have to replace the signs eventually, then you're crazy.

  2. #782
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    They're tied together. We don't care enough to have to spend that much money doing it, and if you don't think it would cost additional money even if we do have to replace the signs eventually, then you're crazy.
    It'd cost some amount, but it's not a large amount. It'd be a relatively minor part of any state budget with comparison to all the other stuff we're doing.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  3. #783
    I'm a little confused here, I'm from the UK and i was taught in school (1997) that things are measured in (MPH, STONE, INCHES etc) that's the imperial system right? If so then wouldn't that make us an imperial measuring nation?

    I'm really bloody tired so sorry if it makes little sense.

  4. #784
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hungary - Budapest
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    I could live with that, but in many cases it is not the standard
    In fact YYYY-MM-DD is the ISO 8601 standard fromat.

  5. #785
    I am Murloc! Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    5,033
    I use the metric system in my worklife (American working for French company) but I hate it frankly. This is, of course, due to my upbringing - I freely admit it.

    Not saying we arn't going to get there eventually. Or, hell, it's more likely a new system come about that the entire world has to embrace. I shall refer to this as the "Good Enough" Measurement system.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  6. #786
    The US has already tried to go metric, during the Reagan(?) years. It was a disaster.
    I'm American and I think we should try again. It's a bandaid that has to be pulled off.

  7. #787
    Elemental Lord Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    The US has already tried to go metric, during the Reagan(?) years. It was a disaster.
    No, metrification was started under Ford in 1976, then Regan scrapped it in 1982.

  8. #788
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    143
    repeat with me, america is a continent, united states of america is a country

  9. #789
    As an American working in the manufacturing industry as an engineer...I have to say yes, for all things good and holy, please yes convert to metric.

    Why we're the only (or one of a VERY few) country that still uses this retarded measuring system is beyond me, every professional I speak to who does some type of measurement always uses metrics...and when necessary converts to the dumb American system because the item he's working on is being distributed in America.

    I see no reason to waste time in elementary school learning a system of units that no discipline uses.
    I could have shortened my post by a lot if I had just posted this and said: ^This......

  10. #790
    Quote Originally Posted by Washuwa View Post
    repeat with me, america is a continent, united states of america is a country
    maybe to you. here north america = continent, south america = continent, america = generally accepted as short version of united states of america. but however you like it i guess, you're not going to change anybody's minds here

  11. #791
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Washuwa View Post
    repeat with me, america is a continent, united states of america is a country
    The world uses America as shorthand for United States of America. Get over it.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  12. #792
    i'm not american and yes, they should go metric. And we need to ditch litres and say cubicmeters instead because litres is one useless unit!

  13. #793
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    i'm not american and yes, they should go metric. And we need to ditch litres and say cubicmeters instead because litres is one useless unit!
    What about when you want a liter of cola?

  14. #794
    The Insane Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    16,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What about when you want a liter of cola?
    You say "I would like a cubicmeter but much, much, much, much, much less of Coke please" !
    Russia isn't afraid of US dude. That's why they are sending their bombers like 60km out of your shores. Infact they give 0 fucks. They know you wont dare to touch them.

  15. #795
    The Insane Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,963
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    i'm not american and yes, they should go metric. And we need to ditch litres and say cubicmeters instead because litres is one useless unit!
    A liter is just a convenient everyday amount. Its the same as a cubic decimeter. And a deciliter is a common household measurement which would be 10 cubic centimeters if i am not mistaking

  16. #796
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    i'm not american and yes, they should go metric. And we need to ditch litres and say cubicmeters instead because litres is one useless unit!
    1L = 1 dm3, not 1 m3.

    1 m3 would be 1 kL. Which is a little big a unit to buy milk. "Hey Honey, would you buy 0.001 m3 of milk while your at the grocery store?"

  17. #797
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,531
    WOW...40 pages..and you wonder why the UN can never agree on anything?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  18. #798
    Warchief Byniri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan.
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobor View Post
    In fact YYYY-MM-DD is the ISO 8601 standard fromat.
    The metric system argument for measurements is a valid one, but the MM-DD-YYYY/DD-MM-YYYY/etc is just completely stupid.

    Who the hell cares.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

  19. #799
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    You say "I would like a cubicmeter but much, much, much, much, much less of Coke please" !
    But a cubicmeter is much more than a liter isnt it? m^3 would be a lot of liquid where a liter is like about 1 quart isn't it?

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 04:48 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    1L = 1 dm3, not 1 m3.

    1 m3 would be 1 kL. Which is a little big a unit to buy milk. "Hey Honey, would you buy 0.001 m3 of milk while your at the grocery store?"
    yeah thats what i though a cubic meter of water is like almost a bathtub amount

    neat thing about a liter is of pure water it is exactly 1kg of mass because of waters density.

  20. #800
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    A liter is just a convenient everyday amount. Its the same as a cubic decimeter. And a deciliter is a common household measurement which would be 10 cubic centimeters if i am not mistaking
    I think it would be 100 cm3.

    1 cm3 = 1 mL
    1 dL = 100 mL
    So 1 dL = 100 cm3.

    Yeah, that's right... I had to write it though...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •