View Poll Results: Should America go metric?

Voters
1231. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I'm American.

320 26.00%
  • No, and I'm American.

144 11.70%
  • Yes, and I'm NOT American.

741 60.19%
  • No, and I'm NOT American.

26 2.11%
Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Well "we don't care" sounds like a reasonable argument to me. "We'd have to spend tons of money switching all the signs" doesn't.
    They're tied together. We don't care enough to have to spend that much money doing it, and if you don't think it would cost additional money even if we do have to replace the signs eventually, then you're crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    They're tied together. We don't care enough to have to spend that much money doing it, and if you don't think it would cost additional money even if we do have to replace the signs eventually, then you're crazy.
    It'd cost some amount, but it's not a large amount. It'd be a relatively minor part of any state budget with comparison to all the other stuff we're doing.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

I'm a little confused here, I'm from the UK and i was taught in school (1997) that things are measured in (MPH, STONE, INCHES etc) that's the imperial system right? If so then wouldn't that make us an imperial measuring nation?

I'm really bloody tired so sorry if it makes little sense.

Grunt
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    I could live with that, but in many cases it is not the standard
    In fact YYYY-MM-DD is the ISO 8601 standard fromat.

I use the metric system in my worklife (American working for French company) but I hate it frankly. This is, of course, due to my upbringing - I freely admit it.

Not saying we arn't going to get there eventually. Or, hell, it's more likely a new system come about that the entire world has to embrace. I shall refer to this as the "Good Enough" Measurement system.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

The US has already tried to go metric, during the Reagan(?) years. It was a disaster.
    I'm American and I think we should try again. It's a bandaid that has to be pulled off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    The US has already tried to go metric, during the Reagan(?) years. It was a disaster.
    No, metrification was started under Ford in 1976, then Regan scrapped it in 1982.

High Overlord
    repeat with me, america is a continent, united states of america is a country

As an American working in the manufacturing industry as an engineer...I have to say yes, for all things good and holy, please yes convert to metric.

Why we're the only (or one of a VERY few) country that still uses this retarded measuring system is beyond me, every professional I speak to who does some type of measurement always uses metrics...and when necessary converts to the dumb American system because the item he's working on is being distributed in America.

I see no reason to waste time in elementary school learning a system of units that no discipline uses.
    I could have shortened my post by a lot if I had just posted this and said: ^This......

Quote Originally Posted by Washuwa View Post
    maybe to you. here north america = continent, south america = continent, america = generally accepted as short version of united states of america. but however you like it i guess, you're not going to change anybody's minds here

Quote Originally Posted by Washuwa View Post
    The world uses America as shorthand for United States of America. Get over it.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

i'm not american and yes, they should go metric. And we need to ditch litres and say cubicmeters instead because litres is one useless unit!

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    i'm not american and yes, they should go metric. And we need to ditch litres and say cubicmeters instead because litres is one useless unit!
    What about when you want a liter of cola?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What about when you want a liter of cola?
    You say "I would like a cubicmeter but much, much, much, much, much less of Coke please" !
    Russia isn't afraid of US dude. That's why they are sending their bombers like 60km out of your shores. Infact they give 0 fucks. They know you wont dare to touch them.

A liter is just a convenient everyday amount. Its the same as a cubic decimeter. And a deciliter is a common household measurement which would be 10 cubic centimeters if i am not mistaking

1L = 1 dm3, not 1 m3.

1 m3 would be 1 kL. Which is a little big a unit to buy milk. "Hey Honey, would you buy 0.001 m3 of milk while your at the grocery store?"

WOW...40 pages..and you wonder why the UN can never agree on anything?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobor View Post
    In fact YYYY-MM-DD is the ISO 8601 standard fromat.
    The metric system argument for measurements is a valid one, but the MM-DD-YYYY/DD-MM-YYYY/etc is just completely stupid.

Who the hell cares.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    You say "I would like a cubicmeter but much, much, much, much, much less of Coke please" !
    But a cubicmeter is much more than a liter isnt it? m^3 would be a lot of liquid where a liter is like about 1 quart isn't it?

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    1L = 1 dm3, not 1 m3.

1 m3 would be 1 kL. Which is a little big a unit to buy milk. "Hey Honey, would you buy 0.001 m3 of milk while your at the grocery store?"
    yeah thats what i though a cubic meter of water is like almost a bathtub amount

neat thing about a liter is of pure water it is exactly 1kg of mass because of waters density.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    A liter is just a convenient everyday amount. Its the same as a cubic decimeter. And a deciliter is a common household measurement which would be 10 cubic centimeters if i am not mistaking
    I think it would be 100 cm3.

1 cm3 = 1 mL
    1 dL = 100 mL
    So 1 dL = 100 cm3.

Yeah, that's right... I had to write it though...