Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thilven View Post
    But don't ask me how long a mile is, never had to learn that. Doesn't stop me from using the word!
    5280 feet. Or: 1.60934km or 1609.34m

Europeans have to learn 3 languages on average but not two measurement systems. Maybe that's why Americans suck in math and science.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    I think it would be one hell of an undertaking for a country the size of America to adopt the metric system. I live in the UK and we still run with both metric and imperial weights and measures, even though we were supposedly changing over in the 70's.

Deleted
    The worst is all the tons, short ton, long ton and "real" ton.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieKDC View Post
    On the topic of temperature - I use Kelvin; it is the better system.
    no... its not. Its fine to use it on the lab for chemistry but it has no actual use in real life, nothing is anywhere near absolute zero.
    Also kelvin is Celsius, same thing, just starts at "real" zero instead of freezing point of water (at standardized conditions) we live on planet earth, not deep space far away from any star.

And yes they should, also US does HAVE metric system, it is simply soft metric instead of hard metric, they are doing the conversion to metric at a really inefficient and slow pace.

On a label you will read 1 POUND (453g) or 2.2 pounds (1kg), where it should read 1kg (2.2pounds) to help the conversion process.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I already told that it crashes spacecrafts to use different metrics
    not if they jsut went all imperal system then it wouldnt have crashed.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    not if they jsut went all imperal system then it wouldnt have crashed.
    There is a reason why all institutions that require cooperation, specially international, will use metric.
    It avoids confusion.

it is true what you say, if it were all in imperial it would have been fine, but the problem arises when its not.
    Considering its the only country that uses it (there was 1 more if i recall?) as the main system, one has to wonder why they havent changed yet.
    Also, metric IS more intuitive, specially on situations where it makes a difference to make an easier system, such as scientific areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    There is a reason why all institutions that require cooperation, specially international, will use metric.
    It avoids confusion.

it is true what you say, if it were all in imperial it would have been fine, but the problem arises when its not.
    Considering its the only country that uses it (there was 1 more if i recall?) as the main system, one has to wonder why they havent changed yet.
    Also, metric IS more intuitive, specially on situations where it makes a difference to make an easier system, such as scientific areas.
    US, UK, Belize, Liberia, Bahamas, Myanmar, and probably others. It is already in use for any science applications though.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

yes, god yes.. for the love of god

my job entails me to deal with everything in metric units, so i'm already used to it..

also, what i never understood and what's interesting is the world adheres to US customary units for cargo containerization (TEU/FEU)

for me personally, the only thing that would take some getting used to is Fº/Cº

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    US, UK, Belize, Liberia, Bahamas, Myanmar, and probably others. It is already in use for any science applications though.
    Only 3 countries officially uses it and even within the US the scientific community uses metric. So one would expect a space craft to calculate using metric.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Explain how you would change:
    All the schools in the country.
    All the books Imperial is used in.
    All the road-signs.
    All the cars.

Without it costing billions of dollars?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    All the road-signs.
    All the cars.

i´d say, ask the european union, they did it with money, can´t be that much of a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    i´d say, ask the european union, they did it with money, can´t be that much of a difference
    Except that most of Europe has been using metric for a very long time.

And the only thing the EU really knows how to do is borrow money.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the road-signs.
    All the cars.

You'd just grandfather it in. None of the old stuff would change at all (it's not like pounds and inches suddenly fail to measure things as people begin thinking in metric more), but everything new that was developed would have both for a period of time, then eventually everything new would just be metric. Boom, you just changed over 40 years or so without it costing a significant amount of money.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Absolutely,. its a ridiculous system.
    The english invented it,. and it's still in use there,. most daft system ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the only thing the EU really knows how to do is borrow money.
    As opposed to the USA who haven't had a balanced budget in 55 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You'd just grandfather it in. None of the old stuff would change at all (it's not like pounds and inches suddenly fail to measure things as people begin thinking in metric more), but everything new that was developed would have both for a period of time, then eventually everything new would just be metric. Boom, you just changed over 40 years or so without it costing a significant amount of money.
    You'd still have to replace all the existing signage, which is not guaranteed to be replaced every 40 years.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Oh and look what happened to that economy lol
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    As opposed to the USA who haven't had a balanced budget in 55 years.
    Sure, but we're really good at it.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd still have to replace all the existing signage, which is not guaranteed to be replaced every 40 years.
    The vast majority of that signage would be replaced by that time. I don't know many signs that last 40 years, do you? In the rare case that a sign isn't replaced in that time period, we can suck up the small budgetary blip of changing them. It's not a billions of dollars thing.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The vast majority of that signage would be replaced by that time. I don't know many signs that last 40 years, do you? In the rare case that a sign isn't replaced in that time period, we can suck up the small budgetary blip of changing them. It's not a billions of dollars thing.
    I still don't see any point in changing the signage, like who cares if we use miles.
    Gamdwelf the Mage