Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    Well that's just stupidity. I would think anyone would do a double take and realize what's going on with the passport.

As for your suggestion, if they want to do it that's fine, but I don't really see how it would really change anything. Any sector that needs Metric already uses it, and every other sector / the common public won't give two fucks as long as they know the distance to work and how tall you need to ride a roller coaster.

BTW, just curious, how do roller coasters in other countries give height requirements? Most over here say like, 42 inches which is 3 and a half feet. So is that 1 meter and 15 centimeters (or whatever it translates to)? Or is it just 315 centimeters? Etc.
    42 inches is just over 1 meter. being picky its 1066.8 ( ithink) metric height for 1meter 15centimeters would be 1.15metres.. any ways we just have signs saying you must be this high to ride Michael.. i mean the roller-coaster.. cardboard sight with an arrow or a line

Should we go metric by the end of like...2013? Hell no.

Should we start teaching metric along with imperial and eventually just drop the latter? Sure!

Edit: To be honest, I don't see the big deal. There's 2.54 cm's in an inch. OH NO, it's not a nice number. I personally can live without it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Should we go metric by the end of like...2013? Hell no.

Should we start teaching metric along with imperial and eventually just drop the latter? Sure!
    It takes about two decades to metricate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    Doesn't seem to stop us from being the first to get to Mars
    I'm sorry, I know this is now 46 pages back and won't get picked up by Valiea, but what a stupid thing to say.

Are you seriously claiming that you wouldn't have been able to do the Mars landing because of the Metric system?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with all but the Date. I already know metric measurements and celsius, but changing the order of the date would confuse the hell out of me. It makes more since the American way because it's ordered how you would say it, you say "December 21st, 2012" not "21st of December 2012" or anything like that... as far as I know anyway.

Anyway it's not really that big of a deal. The conversion is not difficult and if you can't do it I'm sure there's an app for it
    Last edited by Amsden; 2012-12-21 at 07:45 PM.

gross. Canadian here. i perfer imperial to metric. mainly because most of the oil/gas industry (which im in) uses it.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    America should, but won't, because old habits do die hard. And metric is too rational
    Pretty much this. Having to learn such an easy system?! Ain't nobody got time for dat. But yea I'd rather use Metric here. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    Let's do this. Of course we will have to change to decimal time and the French Republican Calendar too.
    One step at a time.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    Let's do this. Of course we will have to change to decimal time and the French Republican Calendar too.
    That sounds insanely impractical, considering that time isn't based around anything arbitrary, i.e. we actually do revolve one round around the sun in 365.25 and some days. If you somehow successfully build a system that divides that into tens, I'd be happy to listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    That sounds insanely impractical, considering that time isn't based around anything arbitrary, i.e. we actually do revolve one round around the sun in 365.25 and some days. If you somehow successfully build a system that divides that into tens, I'd be happy to listen.
    Decimal time isn't arbitrary, per se, but it requires differing lengths for a second, minute, etc.

I am very well-disposed towards the French Republican Calendar, however. Under that calendar you have twelve months of thirty days, three weeks of ten days per month, with four or five intercalary days to account for leap years.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2012-12-23 at 02:31 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    As a Canadian I know both systems pretty well. Everything in Canada is a mix of both systems. we measure things in both feet and inches as well as metres and centimeters. Weights go the same way.

I honestly think the metric system is a little bit better. In the end it's easier to manage when scaling things from a few milligrams to tonnes etc. Same with measurement. I can give you the distance from my house to the local shop in a measurement scheme used to analyze bacteria if need be without really thinking about it.

The biggest problem with using Inches is when yo go anything less.. okay.. so you've got half inches, then quarters, then eighths. It's all fine and good, but that's not accurate.

They really should adopt what the rest of the world does. Any professional business uses the metric system anyways. It's only consumer products that end up getting the old system.

Deleted
    i did rofl so much when reading this thread ppl changed subject from metric system to history. I can understand some1 is proud of their country, even i am proud of my country. But when your talking about 600 years of history and all inventations made in america during that, did your mind ever cross where your roots are? or did columbus instantly turn american, when he "found" it (which he didint, but this is just example).