Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    i'm not american and yes, they should go metric. And we need to ditch litres and say cubicmeters instead because litres is one useless unit!
    A liter is just a convenient everyday amount. Its the same as a cubic decimeter. And a deciliter is a common household measurement which would be 10 cubic centimeters if i am not mistaking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    i'm not american and yes, they should go metric. And we need to ditch litres and say cubicmeters instead because litres is one useless unit!
    1L = 1 dm3, not 1 m3.

1 m3 would be 1 kL. Which is a little big a unit to buy milk. "Hey Honey, would you buy 0.001 m3 of milk while your at the grocery store?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobor View Post
    In fact YYYY-MM-DD is the ISO 8601 standard fromat.
    The metric system argument for measurements is a valid one, but the MM-DD-YYYY/DD-MM-YYYY/etc is just completely stupid.

Who the hell cares.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    You say "I would like a cubicmeter but much, much, much, much, much less of Coke please" !
    But a cubicmeter is much more than a liter isnt it? m^3 would be a lot of liquid where a liter is like about 1 quart isn't it?

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    1L = 1 dm3, not 1 m3.

1 m3 would be 1 kL. Which is a little big a unit to buy milk. "Hey Honey, would you buy 0.001 m3 of milk while your at the grocery store?"
    yeah thats what i though a cubic meter of water is like almost a bathtub amount

neat thing about a liter is of pure water it is exactly 1kg of mass because of waters density.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    A liter is just a convenient everyday amount. Its the same as a cubic decimeter. And a deciliter is a common household measurement which would be 10 cubic centimeters if i am not mistaking
    I think it would be 100 cm3.

1 cm3 = 1 mL
    1 dL = 100 mL
    So 1 dL = 100 cm3.

Yeah, that's right... I had to write it though...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    And a deciliter is a common household measurement which would be 10 cubic centimeters if i am not mistaking
    I have never heard "deciliter" used outside of medical contexts, where "milligrams per decilitre" is the usual measurement for blood sugar or "grams per deciliter" for hemoglobin.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 11:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    neat thing about a liter is of pure water it is exactly 1kg of mass because of waters density.
    Not really. It's close, but not exact.

If one wanted to do some trickery with stable hydrogen and oxygen isotopes (e.g. high purity doubly labeled water), you could make a litre of water that would mass about 1.25 kilograms.
    Last edited by Masark; 2012-12-14 at 05:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But a cubicmeter is much more than a liter isnt it? m^3 would be a lot of liquid where a liter is like about 1 quart isn't it?

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 04:48 PM ----------

yeah thats what i though a cubic meter of water is like almost a bathtub amount.
    I think you would have a major water spill if your tried to put 1 m3 in your bathtub. Or you have a big bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I think it would be 100 cm3.

1 cm3 = 1 mL
    1 dL = 100 mL
    So 1 dL = 100 cm3.

Yeah, that's right... I had to write it though...
    Eahm... yes, thats what i meant all along

*shifty eyes*

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I have never heard "decilitre" used outside of medical contexts, where "milligrams per decilitre" is the usual measurement for blood sugar or hemoglobin.
    Lots of cooking recipes has things like "add 3 deciliters of whatever"

Hell no. I love the biased graphs btw. I think of all the songs that have miles in them, have them replaced with kilometers (I would walk a thousand kilometers to see you!) and think how silly it sounds.

Metric just has a very scientific sound to me, that it sounds out of place in regular conversations.

Only at 4 degrees!

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I have never heard "decilitre" used outside of medical contexts, where "milligrams per decilitre" is the usual measurement for blood sugar or hemoglobin.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 11:00 AM ----------

Not really. It's close, but not exact.

If one wanted to do some trickery with stable hydrogen and oxygen isotopes (e.g. high purity doubly labeled water), you could make a litre of water that would mass about 1.25 kilograms.
    yeah but water is normally assumed to be 1g/cm^3, which converts to 1kg/L
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    The metric system argument for measurements is a valid one, but the MM-DD-YYYY/DD-MM-YYYY/etc is just completely stupid.

Who the hell cares.
    I do. I like my dates to sort, dammit!
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    Hell no. I love the biased graphs btw. I think of all the songs that have miles in them, have them replaced with kilometers (I would walk a thousand kilometers to see you!) and think how silly it sounds.

Metric just has a very scientific sound to me, that it sounds out of place in regular conversations.
    "I would walk a thousand klicks to see you"

Switching is easier than people would think, you just start teaching kids metric in schools, add the equivalent on labels so those used to imperial can still operate and within a few generations people are using metric as standard until imperial dies out.

Some things still hold true, trouser measurements always in inches most body weight done in st and lbs still here in the UK, but i naturally go to metric where as my mother gravitates to imperial. Every time i use the cooking scales I know she has been baking when it's on oz as i turn it on

So yes, it helps to have everyone using the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    half 12 means 11:30 in southern Germany.. But 12:30 in Northern Germany.
    Wrong. Noone would say "half 12" for 12:30. The onöy regional differences concern "quarter 12" "quarter TO 12" etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why people even talk like that with time?

12:30 is Twelve thirty.

"Half past twelve" is too many words!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Switching is easier than people would think, you just start teaching kids metric in schools, add the equivalent on labels so those used to imperial can still operate and within a few generations people are using metric as standard until imperial dies out.

Some things still hold true, trouser measurements always in inches most body weight done in st and lbs still here in the UK, but i naturally go to metric where as my mother gravitates to imperial. Every time i use the cooking scales I know she has been baking when it's on oz as i turn it on

So yes, it helps to have everyone using the same standard.
    metric is already taught in schools, and almost all labels are in both standard and metric.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

15+ Year Old Account
    Short remark to all the Kelvin enthousiasts here: Considering the relevance of absolute 0 vs freezing temperature of water, swapping to Kelvin as main unit wouldn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kosuko View Post
    Short remark to all the Kelvin enthousiasts here: Considering the relevance of absolute 0 vs freezing temperature of water, swapping to Kelvin as main unit wouldn't make any sense.
    makes about as much sense as Celsius.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

15+ Year Old Account
    makes about as much sense as Celsius.
    In the common world (not science) the freezing point of water is probably the lowest relevant temperature, so it makes sense to put that at 0. Why would you put it at 273? It's just harder to count.