Poll: Should America go metric?

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    I say we can go ahead and switch to Metric, but save Fahrenheit and the date system. Those aren't measures of Metric anyways, are they? (I'm probably wrong, my science knowledge is next to nil).

Fahrenheit is better because it gives more specific temperatures and they also "seem" more extreme. You tell someone it's 105 degrees outside they're bound to do a double-take and prepare themselves. Tell them it's 40 degrees Celsius and it just doesn't seem that major. Just in my mind, anyways. Also apparently the difference between 105 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit is only 5 degrees Celsius. That's the difference between a miserable afternoon and a fairly mild one (In Arizona anyways). You can't mark that with only 5 numbers!

Date system, I don't know, it would be impossible for me to switch to saying the date first. Our system has always made more sense because if someone asks you the date, you're probably going to say 'December 21st' and not 'the 21st of December.' Just my two cents anyways.
    This is simply a matter of being used to one system. 105 degrees Fahrenheit means nothing to me but I know right away when I see 40 degrees Celsius on a thermometer that it's really, really hot. Fahrenheit is obviously more precise since the increment in heat is smaller for each number, but that's what decimals are for. All my thermometers measure and display at least tenths of degrees. Oh, and all scientists use Kelvin. It's the only system that makes any real sense for measuring what heat actually is.

About the date system - the way you say it is a byproduct of the way you write it. I write it 'the 21st of December', and I say it the same way.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    sounds like somebody is 2 legort 2 quart.
    OK, I admit it. I laughed.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I voted NO, and I'm not American, for one simple reason:

You guys deserve a free pass on stubbornly telling world standards bodies to go fuck themselves. You single-handedly led the charge in not signing the ITU's disgusting and insane Internet treaties last week, so feel free to enjoy your miles, feet and inches for a while. You have our permission

Actually, one thing: I'm a programmer that does a lot of work with databases and financial systems. Damn your friggin' illogical ass-backwards month-day-year thing... Seriously... Gargh! Days are a smaller unit of measurement than months. Months are smaller than years. Day-<of the>-month-<of the>-year makes so much more sense. </rant>
    Isnt the reason they didnt sign it, because they already control the internet and would give up power by signing it...?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, just for the fact that it will cost an extreme amount of money to change every sign that has a distance on it in the entire country. All speed limit signs would need to be changed as well and all car manufacturers would have to change their speedometers. You also have to try and get multiple generations of people to learn a new math system when you have a lot of people who are already terrible with math. A cashier literally had to get a calculator out to break my $100 bill for a $16 meal.... and she still gave me the incorrect change.

Also, screw everything moving to a standard system and then eventually a world government. Governments already can't fix their own countries besides trying to control the entire world. Lets let different countries be different. Also, most of the people that do research and collaborate across borders are already using the SI system anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon8 View Post
    No, just for the fact that it will cost an extreme amount of money to change every sign that has a distance on it in the entire country. All speed limit signs would need to be changed as well and all car manufacturers would have to change their speedometers. You also have to try and get multiple generations of people to learn a new math system when you have a lot of people who are already terrible with math. A cashier literally had to get a calculator out to break my $100 bill for a $16 meal.... and she still gave me the incorrect change.
    1. Signs already need to be replaced periodically. Just replace them on the normal schedule with new ones.

2. So they can just use the speedometers they already use for the cars you send to Canada.

3. That's an argument FOR metric. Nice round consistent numbers will be easier to deal with for the non-mathy people.

A cashier literally had to get a calculator out to break my $100 bill for a $16 meal.... and she still gave me the incorrect change.
    LOL you made an argument for the metric system in an attempt to refute it. Metric is simpler and more easily understood by those that have math problems. Way to score on your own net. Typical ignorance.

I can make change pretty good. If something is 12.95 and they give me a 20 I can find that easily. Now when they give me a 20 and a bloody nickle..christ i am screwed.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    I vote no. If it were any other country that were not giving into an outside system they'd be credited for "preserving their culture", but when it's America, it's a stubborn refusal to accept the rest of the world lol I am American (although I currently live in Chile), and I am glad that we're different, that we have our own way of doing things, and don't conform to what the rest of the world does.

And we are taught the metric system in school, so when we go abroad we understand it. We even use it ourselves for various things. But overall, I'd rather preserve our own way instead of just adapting to everybody else. Nothing wrong with being different.
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2012-12-21 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I can make change pretty good. If something is 12.95 and they give me a 20 I can find that easily. Now when they give me a 20 and a bloody nickle..christ i am screwed.
    why would they give you 20 and a nickel if it was 12.95?
    you might get offered an extra nickel if it was 13.05 to avoid the handful of change but not at 12.95 lol...

Quote Originally Posted by DWguild View Post
    why would they give you 20 and a nickel if it was 12.95?
    you might get offered an extra nickel if it was 13.05 to avoid the handful of change but not at 12.95 lol...
    That's the thing...people are just as shitty at arithmatic as I am. They think they are helping. The point is I can only count back change up to the SOLID bill they gave me.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

LOL you made an argument for the metric system in an attempt to refute it. Metric is simpler and more easily understood by those that have math problems. Way to score on your own net. Typical ignorance.
    In common day life though, the sort of things that metric / imperial measure don't require complex measurements. If I need a gallon of milk, I go to the store and buy a gallon of milk. I don't need to figure out how many quarts to a gallon. I don't need to figure out how many feet are in a mile when I'm driving to work each day.

In common day life though, the sort of things that metric / imperial measure don't require complex measurements. If I need a gallon of milk, I go to the store and buy a gallon of milk. I don't need to figure out how many quarts to a gallon. I don't need to figure out how many feet are in a mile when I'm driving to work each day.
    lolwut? most random reply ever?

lolwut? most random reply ever?
    Uh...no?

You said Metric is simpler for people who have math problems. I pointed out that things we measure in either metric or imperial really aren't utilized in a daily setting for most people. How many quarts is a gallon of gas? Nobody cares because we just go off gallons.

Uh...no?

You said Metric is simpler for people who have math problems. I pointed out that things we measure in either metric or imperial really aren't utilized in a daily setting for most people. How many quarts is a gallon of gas? Nobody cares because we just go off gallons.
    We don't use imperial/metic in everyday life? Then you provide an example where we do. Are you retarded or just plain ignorant. Congrats on scoring on your own net as well, moron.

---------- Post added 2012-12-21 at 12:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    I vote no. If it were any other country that were not giving into an outside system they'd be credited for "preserving their culture", but when it's America, it's a stubborn refusal to accept the rest of the world lol I am American (although I currently live in Chile), and I am glad that we're different, that we have our own way of doing things, and don't conform to what the rest of the world does.

And we are taught the metric system in school, so when we go abroad we understand it. We even use it ourselves for various things. But overall, I'd rather preserve our own way instead of just adapting to everybody else. Nothing wrong with being different.
    I understand this argument however I don't think systems of measurement is good implementation of diversity. Diversity in this world is a good thing BUT in my opinion is better expressed through things like symbols, clothes, architecture, art, social norms and other things like that.

Simplifying the lines of communication is a good thing and benefits everyone. (look past short sightedness of the pain of trying to implement it).

We don't use imperial/metic in everyday life? Then you provide an example where we do. Are you retarded or just plain ignorant. Congrats on scoring on your own net as well, moron.
    You're right, I have to constantly figure out how many quarts 60% a gallon of gas is, or figure out how many inches it is from my home to the store...

I don't care what they call it. An inch, a centimeter, a Gagglebarrel or whatever. As long as it tells me how far relatively compared to everything else around me is, it's fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    I like the chart you showed.. Minus the blatant bias against the American system.

Doesn't seem to stop us from being the first to get to Mars or the first in quite a bit of historical mile stones is it?

Shame.
    You personally helped with that? awesome.

You're right, I have to constantly figure out how many quarts 60% a gallon of gas is, or figure out how many inches it is from my home to the store...

I don't care what they call it. An inch, a centimeter, a Gagglebarrel or whatever. As long as it tells me how far relatively compared to everything else around me is, it's fine.
    Not even going to try to address this lol... Like talking to a wall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grakey View Post
    Do some research and calculate how much it would cost, then look at current economic times, and then ask yourself if that is something we really need to be doing.
    Instead of prompting people to do research and calculate, maybe you could show some of your own apparent research on the topic? Because until then, it's rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    I like the chart you showed.. Minus the blatant bias against the American system.

Doesn't seem to stop us from being the first to get to Mars or the first in quite a bit of historical mile stones is it?

Shame.
    The extreme irony of this is that NASA uses Metric lol!
    Also what do national achievements and space travel have to do with this thread? There are lots of other big achievements that other countries have, but don't feel the need to blurt out randomly and defensively for no reason.

Deleted

Also, screw everything moving to a standard system and then eventually a world government. Governments already can't fix their own countries besides trying to control the entire world. Lets let different countries be different. Also, most of the people that do research and collaborate across borders are already using the SI system anyway.
    Not more than what the US spends on war every day. Priorities.