Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
13
14
LastLast
  1. #221
    A lot of people who like to brag about playing in vanilla/TBC post skewed or inaccurate info about what it was like back then anyway.

  2. #222
    I love the raiding mechanics nowadays. My 2 major complaints are the community destroying LFR and LFG. If they got rid of those i would love the game much more than i do now.

  3. #223
    Mechagnome Boogieknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    Why is there this bias by a decent amount of veteran players (specifically those who began in Classic/BC) against anyone who began in Wrath/Cata/MoP?
    Mostly because Burning Crusade was the last expansion to contain gated content which provided an artificial sense of elitism because it showed you managed to get further than other players (though that was possibly only because of guild poaching, favors, luck, backstabbing, etc). Wrath also introduced separate raid sizes for the same instance, the dungeon finder, and made Retribution Paladin acceptable for about 72 hours (players weren't having any of that.) When games and social activities become popular everyone puts on their hipster glasses and talks about how they were into it before others were, and Wrath was the upper spike on the games popularity and player populace so they're the prime targets. They still talked smack about Wrath up until 4.2 nerfs and 4.3, then Cata joined that club.

    Basically anonymity + internet + WoW = complete ass. Well, unless you're like most of us who just don't give a damn.
    Anyone else think Jaime Lannister only has the Kingslayer title because he was just too lazy to kill the king on heroic mode?

  4. #224
    its just stupid people with a bias.. the same can be said for making fun of people if they are from india or pakistan... it doesnt matter where a person comes from.. if they can do their job well thats good enough.

  5. #225
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    130
    I personally had much more fun during vanilla and BC, i guess this makes me an elitist scum for many guys here.

  6. #226
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,586
    personally I don't give a shit when you started. Playing for eight years means nothing new players can learn and be better than players who have been around since beta. I have no idea why people who have been around since Vanilla think their shit is special. I never have I play for myself and don't care what the rest of you do.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 12:22 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    I personally had much more fun during vanilla and BC, i guess this makes me an elitist scum for many guys here.
    Not really, from what I remember of vanilla shit took longer and there was more downtime so I assume everyone feels it was better cause when you actually found something to do it was memorable.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 12:25 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotsforyou View Post
    I love the raiding mechanics nowadays. My 2 major complaints are the community destroying LFR and LFG. If they got rid of those i would love the game much more than i do now.
    I think this mentality is whats causing the community to suck worse than it has ever before to be honest. Don't like LFR then stfu and don't do it. I play in a guild where they might be 2 others on during peek hours I don't want to join a guild full of people I don't want to know just to run something. All I do is LFR and LFD anymore it beats the hell out of raiding normally.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2012-12-14 at 05:34 AM.

  7. #227
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    personally I don't give a shit when you started. Playing for eight years means nothing new players can learn and be better than players who have been around since beta. I have no idea why people who have been around since Vanilla think their shit is special. I never have I play for myself and don't care what the rest of you do.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 12:22 AM ----------


    Not really from what I remember of vanilla shit took longer, there was more downtime so I assume everyone feels it was better cause when you actually found something to do it was memorable.
    What's fun to me, may be not fun to you and vice versa. Don't assume everyone have the same concept of fun.
    Hell, thats the problem, people wanting telling me whats fun, and whats not fun

  8. #228
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,586
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    What's fun to me, may be not fun to you and vice versa. Don't assume everyone have the same concept of fun.
    Hell, thats the problem, people wanting telling me whats fun, and whats not fun
    Whats that have to do with me saying your not elitist scum? Sorry, I forgot the comma after not really.

  9. #229
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Whats that have to do with me saying your not elitist scum? Sorry, I forgot the comma after not really.
    Did you say that ?

  10. #230
    Blademaster Amavesta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    35
    Personally, I just liked the theme of TBC more. The quests for attunements felt really tied in with the lore of the game, and I was sorry to see such awesome stories thrown by the wayside, though not the gating so much. Getting an achievement/title from completing an expansive and potentially difficult quest-line when it was relevant was a nifty reward. I'm sure the people who worked to get the plagued/black protodrakes feel the same way, as well.

    I have no issues with newer players, provided they can play their class- and if they can't, are trying to learn.

  11. #231
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,586
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Did you say that ?
    Your sentence ended with "I guess this makes me elitist scum" mine starts with "Not really," sigh.

  12. #232
    How did the hipster burn his tongue? He tried to drink his coffee before it was cool.

    Same principle applies here. Bunch of people trying to act like they are better because they started first and "know more."

  13. #233
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    130
    I don't know why people nerd rage when someone says he had more fun during vanilla or bc, this is almost a sin, i guess.

    I had fun in long dungeons with friends who never gave up after few wipes,
    I had from from having to walk from Ironforge to SM with friends, afraid of horde in Silverpine Forest and Trisfal Glades.
    I had fun protecting Southshore from attacks of the horde.

    This is not about raiding only, that's not about wanting to feel a special snowflake.
    Getting gear was not a priority, the priority was having fun with friends, exploring a world, defending your faction and stuff.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2012-12-14 at 05:54 AM.

  14. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoon View Post
    As opposed to people who started after TBC, who don't know what they are talking about...?
    That's what they think.

    Interestingly enough, the worst players (both in skill and mentality) are the players who started playing in vanilla or TBC. Sure, I'm generalizing here, I know quite a few Vanilla players who're excellent today too. Unfortunately, a lot of vanilla/tbc players believe they know it all and feel no need to read up a bit, or improve. "I play since vanilla don't need help ty" would be a common reply. I'll never forget the feral, who, since he played since vanilla, needed no help even though he had the worst spec and gearing and could hold no threat with subpar survivability. But, since he was playing since vanilla (as feral????) he knew it all, clearly.

    I started in TBC also, by the way.

    Anyway, back to the topic, WOTLK was heavily casualized, so to speak - everything was made a lot easier. I cannot honestly recall casuals being such a big issue (to the community) in TBC (though of course, it was, especially around Sunwell when the new valor (or whatever it was back then) vendor came from who you could buy quasi decent gear - just less so). That's where the term "wrath babies" come from, generally 'bad players' who started in WOTLK and got no motivation to improve whatsoever because everything was supposedly so easy - supposedly these players were cradled and handheld by Blizzard to free epics and never knew "the days" where "everything was harder/everything was an accomplishment/whatever rosetinted memory".

    Edit: I need to clarify I really liked TBC and WOTLK to me was an abomination in how easy everything was. But, you know, the game evolved, so did I, and I got my heroic modes, and there's just content for everyone now. I see no problem with that. In WOTLK though the only complicated content you had would be Sarth3D for a long time, and it made raiders a bit bitter, I suppose, and started blaming the newer players for not being able to 'handle more' ("wrath babies").
    Last edited by Cirque; 2012-12-14 at 05:49 AM.

  15. #235
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    130
    People say we are the elitist, but they are the first to brag about their new rare mounts, their new rare pets, their ultimate raiding achievement, their BIS gear, their pvp ratings.
    Showing how big is your e-penis is much more frequent now.

    This game was not about collecting mounts, pets, achievs.
    This game was not a big rush for gear.

    Of course, many people like this, but i prefer the mentality of the old days, that i already said in my previous post.
    I still like the game and have fun playing it, but surely i had much more fun during vanilla and bc. Whats the problem on it ?
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2012-12-14 at 05:55 AM.

  16. #236
    Brewmaster Grievuuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ringsted, Denmark.
    Posts
    1,331
    I do not converse with people who haven't played since classic, the supreme general's time is far too valuable to be spent on the inferior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laraven View Post
    Umm, skinny guys with abs are like a fat girl with big boobs. It don't really count.
    Grievuuz#2550
    Skype: Kjarlot

  17. #237
    Blademaster Animalhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    33
    I've played since vanilla and have never witnessed old school players bashing the new generation. I only bash players with bad attitudes. Unfortunately the addition of lfd and lfr have spawned some very nasty attitudes.

    I wish more could have enjoyed the early days of wow. As others have said epic was epic. Dungeons, even low level ones required some skill and know how. People used to use cc every pull. Jerks were somewhat accountable for their attitude. People more often than not stuck together and finished a dungeon after a wipe rather than rage quite. Friends list grew and bonds were formed. That game is dead now.

    I feel thankful I was able to experience Vanilla and BC. I still play with alot of the awesome people i met during those first few years.
    "There are none so blind as those who will not see"

  18. #238
    Because the game was harder then.

  19. #239
    Mechagnome Sterilize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnudge View Post
    Because the game was harder then.
    Everything took more time, perhaps. I don't recall anything that was explicitly more difficult other than trying to organize 40 people versus 10/25.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

  20. #240
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterilize View Post
    Everything took more time, perhaps. I don't recall anything that was explicitly more difficult other than trying to organize 40 people versus 10/25.
    This. Everything took more time, but also, the mentality of the playerbase was another, there wasn't this desperate hurry to gear up, for example.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •