10+ Year Old Account

Leveling with a wizard?

I left my wizard alone for a long time, and it's currently 39. I saw a video about gearing and setups and stuff for 60, and thought it might be fun. But, I'm having some really hard times. I've got the gear. and leveling gear really isn't that big or expensive, but I like to pamper my lowbies anyway. I'm still having a really hard time killing anything. I tried MP3 and couldn't do anything, so I dropped back down to zero. The Keywarden in the Oasis, and the boss at the end of the Forgotten Ruins gave me way too much trouble. The Keywarden almost killed me, and the Ruins boss took me about three minutes. I've been trying a lot of things, but I can't seem to find what I can for killing things faster. And I know there's something wrong, because my monk can do MP7-ish while leveling with no problems.

I'm using Disintegrate with Volatility as a kind of main attack. None of the Signature attacks seem to do squat.

That's about all I got. Any tips for a lowly Wizard?
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-12-13 at 10:43 AM.

Get a couple more levels so you can use a 1k DPS weapon with level requirement reduced by 15-20. Better to use cain's set/leoric's/hellfire on mp0 than try to do higher MP in my opinion. I just got finished leveling my hardcore monk and it was a painful process, 58-60 alone took me almost three hours, feels like they heavily reduced the exp you get in some places.

As far as wizard tips specifically, I'd just go for maximum damage. Maximize your weapon and make a skillset that enables you to one shot everything. Try storm armor, magic weapon, hydra, blizzard+cold blooded, sparkflint, etc. If you can't kill things in a hit or two with glass cannon/cold blooded/force weapon/sparkflint I have to wonder if your weapon is just outdated.

I also really dislike disintegrate as a spell, you could try the old favorite in arcane orb.

I levelled a wizard with meteor and blizzard.

Take every passive that restores arcane power and a sig spell runed for extra arcane generation.

meteor with reduced cost and blizzard

Run in blizzard to snare everything then spam meteors til out of arcane power and most should be dead. Hold shift to use sig spell to regain arcane quickly and spam meteors again if needed.

I also used the slow bubble as a snare.

Pretty simple plan, snare and then spam meteor with as many arcane power regen things I could use.

Yeah, just get to level 43 and get a "Level requirement reduced by 17" weapon with 800+ dps and you'll just face-rape everything. For other gear, just stack int/vit with rares around your level.

With the insane DPS from the weapon, you should be able to just spam Disintegrate and melt everything in your path.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Yeah, just get to level 43 and get a "Level requirement reduced by 17" weapon with 800+ dps and you'll just face-rape everything. For other gear, just stack int/vit with rares around your level.

With the insane DPS from the weapon, you should be able to just spam Disintegrate and melt everything in your path.
    Off-hand too. Once I got to 43, that's what it was. But I've been using Blizzard with Cold-Blooded. Regular mobs die in a single Blizzard. Still though, it's feeling slower than it should. I don't feel like I have a good nuke spell at this point. And no, Arcane Orb kind of sucks. Expensive cost for mediocre damage.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I went with a different strategy and took every passive damage buff, used the chain lightning ability and just spammed the hell out of it. You can tag mobs almost off screen and have it chain through them, utterly destroying everything with little danger. My gear was high int, high XP, and yes do the weapon advice everyone is mentioning.

Leveling on my monk felt absurdly slow as well. I remember doing 50-60 in an hour in the past, and it took me over an hour a level for the last 5 over the past few days.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    I'm lvl 50 something, I run disintegrate, I just ran a +dmg build, relegating damage reductions to the back seat of 'forget it until later levels'.
    I just disint, blink away if it gets tight, and disint again. I guess you could say I fully embrassed the glass cannon ideal. Yah, if I get hit I'm dead, but more often then not, bosses go down in seconds, trash packs get f'd in the A before they get close. Once I got archon, things became really sexy.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, once I was high enough to get a cheap 60+ weapon and off-hand, it's basically just hit Blizzard, watch stuff die. Use Signature Attack when that's not fast enough. With buffs, I'm over 20k damage. I hope it's good enough to super glass cannon myself through Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Well, once I was high enough to get a cheap 60+ weapon and off-hand, it's basically just hit Blizzard, watch stuff die. Use Signature Attack when that's not fast enough. With buffs, I'm over 20k damage. I hope it's good enough to super glass cannon myself through Hell.
    I was 1shotting everything at ~13k dps on my Barb, so...yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

10+ Year Old Account
    the AH makes everything easier

Deleted
    I've found it to be a pain in the ass to level my wizard.. needs help aswell as to how to level. I just keep dying over and over.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/S.../hero/22715536

Is my wizard!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    I've found it to be a pain in the ass to level my wizard.. needs help aswell as to how to level. I just keep dying over and over.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/S.../hero/22715536

Is my wizard!
    Buy gems for items. Topaz are like 200 gold for 34 int

Lousy through 3 or 4 more levels and search ah for reduced level requirement. Any stats with 600 dps and u should power through most hellspawn

Push on til you get to 42 and get a 900dps -18 lvl req wep. Smooth sailing from there and its actually fun to steam roll stuff after banging your head against the wall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought the game on the 18th, played with a buddy through the entire thing at MP 10 (till I hit 60 half way through Hell then turned it to 0 to speed through) and used Disintegrate and Chain Lightning. If you have high crit (though you probably don't) forked lightning rune is godly on groups. Always had fairly decently weapons from friends blacksmithing, and I would put that as the main reason why we flew through so easily.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream