Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    Yeah I heard some people play the spec they enjoy the most, it's crazy !
    I hear some people enjoy performing the best they can, because they are comfortable playing whatever spec facilitates that.

Sub-par performance that hinders my raid does not fall within the realm of "fun" to me. "Fun" means killing more bosses, and knowingly doing less than I am capable of goes against the general ideology of any good raider in my opinion.

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    as has been said, affli. only fight i ever go demo on is stone guard HC. affl might be better, but i much prefer demo for prolonged multi dot. i fine you have to work much harder as affli to get similar results due to doom lasting a minute and corruption being extended by ToC all the time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimmy View Post
    I hear some people enjoy performing the best they can, because they are comfortable playing whatever spec facilitates that.

Sub-par performance that hinders my raid does not fall within the realm of "fun" to me. "Fun" means killing more bosses, and knowingly doing less than I am capable of goes against the general ideology of any good raider in my opinion.
    qft

as soon as enough evidence points towords another spec being #1 i´ll gladly respec, as soon as i have the gear ofcourse
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqur View Post
    Looking at this log http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/b...um/damageDone/
    Id say that destruction is best atm.
    He clearly outdpsed other affliction locks as destro.
    RoF i can excuse since it can be treated as a single target dot, but using Havoc in Protectors is playing for meters. You'll get awesome CB dmg like he did but its irrelevant and a time waste since the bosses heal themselves fully once one dies.

Every player should do hes own thing... general rule of thumb is if you like your spec you'll play it better.
    That being said, aff is way OP specially when you start getting on higher gear lvls.
    Last edited by Underscore; 2012-12-13 at 01:43 PM.

demo seems close to afflic single target but destro is very far behind... demo seems like it would be very good on some fights in terrace heroics as well but we haven't gotten there yet so idk...

in 25 mans destro may be viable but in 10mans unless u have 3 warriors in ur raid destro is prob not a good choice... either way single target its pretty far behind the other specs

For 10-man heroic raids:

Stone Guards: Affli>Demo>Destro
    Feng: Affli>Demo>>Destro
    Garajal: Affli>Demo>Destro
    Spirit Kings: Affli>Demo>Destro
    Elegon: Affli>>Demo>Destro
    Will: Affli>>Destro>Demo

Zorlok: Affli>Demo>>Destro
    Blade Lord: Affli>Demo>Destro
    Garalon: Affli=Demo>>Destro
    Wind Lord: Affli=Demo>>Destro
    Ambershaper: Affli=Demo>Destro
    Empress: Affli>Demo>Destro

Protectors: Affli>>Demo>Destro
    Tsulong: Affli>Demo>Destro
    Lei Shi: Affli=Demo>Destro
    Sha: Affli>Demo>>Destro

Destro is in most encounters not an option and sometimes not even viable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Olliver View Post
    Personally I, and most of the people I raid with, would get very annoyed if someone plays an inferior spec and doesn't contribute to their maximum potential. Destruction is a decent spec and Warlock would be fine without Affliction, but Affliction is the clear choice.
    Personally, I would stop raiding altogether if my guild forced me into Affliction. Not everyone enjoys its play-style, and if you don't enjoy the time you put into playing a game then I see no reason to even play it to begin with. For as long as you are progressing on and downing bosses, go whichever spec you prefer, you are far more likely to perform well that way than forcing yourself into a spec you don't even like.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Personally, I would stop raiding altogether if my guild forced me into Affliction. Not everyone enjoys its play-style, and if you don't enjoy the time you put into playing a game then I see no reason to even play it to begin with. For as long as you are progressing on and downing bosses, go whichever spec you prefer, you are far more likely to perform well that way than forcing yourself into a spec you don't even like.
    while that is true and specs should perform allmost equally, so forcing some spec unto players is unnecessary
    if one player out of personal enjoyment/preference would hold the raid back in performing better, i´d get rid of him, because he´s obviously no teamplayer, raiding isn´t singleplayer
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I see this post has been transformed into a battle between who prefers what. My main question was not what you like, but what spec performs better per each encounter. From my point of a view if you are a raider that wants to help progress within your guild then you must do w/e is necessary in order to provide the best results of your class, even if it means to learn a new spec, rotation, but once again I say it from my point of view.

Thank you very much everyone for the replies and especially thank you Bonkura for the effort of providing per each specific encounter the most viable spec.

Quote Originally Posted by k4sh1m View Post
    From my point of a view if you are a raider that wants to help progress within your guild then you must do w/e is necessary in order to provide the best results of your class, even if it means to learn a new spec, rotation, but once again I say it from my point of view.
    I can't agree enough with this, after some experience. Even if you don't see results immediately (meaning your DPS drops due to you learning a new class/spec, etc.), long term I think it's always going to be better for you as a player to step out of your comfort zone and try something new.

And for those who think their favorite spec is "enough" and they shouldn't "have to switch," well, you may be right that it's enough for your guild, and your progression, right now. But notice that long term (again), your favorite spec might not stay your favorite spec through redesigns, buffs, nerfs, mechanics changes. And then that's when having stepped outside your comfort zone comes in, and you'll be well-suited to pick a new "favorite." Look at the changes between Cataclysm and MOP especially with locks, and I would say plainly those with a more diverse past experience (instead of saying "this spec and this spec only") ended up performing better, and beyond that, enjoying the game more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Again, the people I play with and I do not enjoy (have fun) playing with people who would rather be selfish and play an inferior spec over playing what would be best for the raid and have the most chance killing a boss.

People derive enjoyment from different aspects of the game, your point is silly.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 05:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by k4sh1m View Post
    My main question was not what you like, but what spec performs better per each encounter.
    Affliction performs best on every encounter currently.
    Last edited by Olliver; 2012-12-13 at 05:32 PM.

Deleted
    Affliction performs best on every encounter currently.
    That's a bold statement

Deleted
    If you can't figure out things like that by yourself, you shouldn't say you want to max your gameplay

meh

echo: affliction echo echo

Personally with the way we're doing the debuff on lei shi I tend to do better in demo as I can put out a decent chunk of burst while moving and taking less dmg since I dont have to pop burning rush during get away where I'm already taking massive dmg from get away + the dot.

Tbh I think your raids strategy is going to effect how you're doing in what spec per encounter as much as any spec could potentially perform.

But yeah generally speaking affliction is a safe bet.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2012-12-13 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    That's a bold statement
    Not a bold statement, but a statement of fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Olliver View Post
    Again, the people I play with and I do not enjoy (have fun) playing with people who would rather be selfish and play an inferior spec over playing what would be best for the raid and have the most chance killing a boss.

People derive enjoyment from different aspects of the game, your point is silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    while that is true and specs should perform allmost equally, so forcing some spec unto players is unnecessary
    if one player out of personal enjoyment/preference would hold the raid back in performing better, i´d get rid of him, because he´s obviously no teamplayer, raiding isn´t singleplayer
    It all comes down to which part of raiding you enjoy. For me and my guild it's to raid together, we enjoy our time together and have lots of fun, and try to make it as far as possible with what we have. We feel no stress or need to compete with other guilds, I really have no clue what "ranking" our guild even has, as I don't care. Several in our guild play "inferior" specs yet we do fine on boss encounters, and as of currently haven't faced a single boss we haven't been able to down when all of us fully learned the encounter.

A lot of you people here seem to only be able to enjoy "hardcore raiding" meaning min-maxing everything and progressing as much as possible as quickly as possible, you have to understand that this is not for everyone, including other raiders, and the most important thing when playing a game is to have fun. I would just like you to keep that in mind, is all, before you go on and judge others for playing "inferior specs".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Personally with the way we're doing the debuff on lei shi I tend to do better in demo as I can put out a decent chunk of burst while moving and taking less dmg since I dont have to pop burning rush during get away where I'm already taking massive dmg from get away + the dot.
    Why in the world would you ever pop burning rush during get away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ympetn View Post
    If you can't figure out things like that by yourself, you shouldn't say you want to max your gameplay
    Asking questions to get yourself up to speed is one way of getting there. In fact it's the fastest way if you've got access to a good community, which this guy does.

Affliction is the best spec on every fight if you know how to play it. Demonology can be better if your team struggles with aoes.

Infracted. Please don't use reaction images.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2012-12-15 at 12:24 AM.

I play destro on every fight. Currently 6/6H MSV, 4/6H HOF 4/4 TOES. Soulsteel on aerie peak. While my rankings that may be 20th for destro would be only 70th on affliction doesnt' mean its a worthless spec. Now i do play in a 25 man raid group and i think that may be key here. We usually run 2 other aff locks. Or 1 of each spec. And the other locks all have solid WOL rankings as well. HOWEVER as destro there are fights where i clearly do more damage and fights where i do less. Heroic elegon yes aff just thinks they are leet by spamming seed of corruption over and over but my number are right with or above.

One thing that destro is superior at over aff is the ability to really KILL SHOT a boss when enrage is closing in. Especially fights with stacking damage debuffs. aka Heroic Windlord, ambershaper, elegon, etc. Aff dots drain decent but if there are only a few seconds till enrage i'll take the 5mil crits anyday especially 4 of them in 4 gcds

BOTTOM LINE: ITS NOT THE SPEC ... ITS THE PLAYER
    Last edited by soulsteel; 2012-12-14 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    For 10-man heroic raids:

Destro is in most encounters not an option and sometimes not even viable.
    And it's people like you that give Destro spec a bad name. I would be willing to be that Zumzum's Destro Numbers beat any Affliction person posting in this thread right now, hands down on any fight. That being said, even though I dont have the time to raid with a guild, I have been logging my LFR numbers. I take the point that you cant use one fight with a better geared Affliction Lock to say Destro is better. But how about 12 fights? I could be wrong, but I dont think an Affliction lock beat me once this week, and my ilvl was only 480 at the time these were logged. There were several 490+ Affliction Locks that didnt even hold a candle to me. But since you said Destro is bad, it must be right?

I can't post links but copy and paste my name into wow-heroes:

Server: Duskwood
    Character: Wìtchypoo (ì = Alt0236)

Click on any of the WoL links below. But being ilvl 480 and posting a few top 50 parses along with a top 25 parse, and numerous other rankings, i'd say Destro is by far not a bad spec, by any means.