My understanding of arenas. Am I wrong?

I was thinking lately after being stuck at 1850-1900 about arenas.

I figured that the key principle of arenas is to apply pressure. When the enemy team is dieing or being forced to play defensively - essentially you are winning, you just need to stand up to the advantage you got and turn it into a kill. If someone is dieing they are forced to play defensive. That effectively means they are not threatening your team. A mage who is blocked is not doing any pressure. A Warrior with shield wall is not putting up any real damage. A hunter is not threatening you while in detterance.

Pressure can be a consequence of three situations:

a) Constant sustained damage
    b) Crowd control
    c) burst during cooldowns

If what I described above, is correct - which of the three ways to apply pressure is more rewarding?

Deleted
    I think it depends entirely on your set up and the one of your enemies.

Deleted
    Kinda. However you have to keep an eye not to be suddenly outplayed by them. If you're too offensive you might end up in the middle of nowhere, out of sight of your own healer, your mate CC'd and them using their CD's to burst you down.

Deleted
    I was playing shadowcleave (unh dk, aff lock, rdruid) and we typically had great pressure on all opponents. All opponents would be like at 30% health. But actually killing one turned out to be difficult with all the instant CC and escapes nearly all classes have now. The moment you turn your attenton to one of the dps, the other dps would just keep us from killing anyone with lots of instant CC/slows/peels/...

And then we would typically still lose the fight when one of us would die in a random deepfreeze.

Deleted
    You can't reduce arena PVP to a simple formula.

a) Constant sustained damage --> not viable against a CC heavy opponent
    b) Crowd control --> not viable against say double healer warrior
    c) burst during cooldowns --> not viable against teams with alot of defensive tools (bubble, bop, 2x ice blocks, vanish, cloak of shadows etc.)

Being able to adapt tactics and playstyle on the fly is what makes a good arena player.

Arena just depends on what you want out of it.

You want rating, e-peen, the best gear fast - roll a FotM class and cheese your way to 2.2k There is VERY RARELY a season in which some completely derp combination can't get to 2.2k rating using a simple formula which blizzard haven't tempered to be in more in line with what other classes can bring. I'm not saying you'll get there without a few losses to people who actually know how to play. But yeah any hunter who wanted to hit 2.2k this season and didn't is a massive failure of a competent player

You want fun - play with your mates and give 0 shits about your rating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I would say what you said was more true last season with classes such as Moonkins, Unholy DKs, Affliction Locks and Fire Mages being very well represented. These classes excelled at sustaining high pressure and winning games like that.

This season you could be out pressuring the other team vastly and then die in a shockwave or deep freeze, so imo pressure isn't as big of a deal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Arena just depends on what you want out of it.

You want rating, e-peen, the best gear fast - roll a FotM class and cheese your way to 2.2k There is VERY RARELY a season in which some completely derp combination can't get to 2.2k rating using a simple formula which blizzard haven't tempered to be in more in line with what other classes can bring. I'm not saying you'll get there without a few losses to people who actually know how to play. But yeah any hunter who wanted to hit 2.2k this season and didn't is a massive failure of a competent player

You want fun - play with your mates and give 0 shits about your rating.
    I don't think rerolling and equipping a char in 3-4 weeks is possible anymore. With the upgrade system in place you will lag behind in gear too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozuum View Post
    I don't think rerolling and equipping a char in 3-4 weeks is possible anymore. With the upgrade system in place you will lag behind in gear too much.
    maybe not when going for rank 1, sure, but anything else is viable.

also, a lot of people make the mistake of going extremely defensive when someone is popping all their shit. one of the best ways to counter it is by doing the exact same thing.