Garalon normal help

Hi.

We have been progressing on garalon normal for some time now (35 wipes or so), and while we have been very close (4% wipe), we never were able to kill him. We always end up dying to the enrage timer, if not something else. We have tried several different tactics, but nothing really did it for us. Our setup is:

- DPS: Fire mage, shadow priest, ele shaman, combat rogue, survival hunter

- Healers: Pala, druid, druid

- Tanks: DK, warrior

As mentioned we tried different strats (having 4 dps'ers kite ended ina 35% enrage, so we skipped that). We also tried with 2 healers and 2 dps'ers kiting, and we still hit enrage. Then we tried 2 tanks and 2 healers, where our rogue took the slashes. The latter seemed to work the best.

World of logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ses&boss=63667

Right now, we nuke the first legs, and then whenever a new one spawns, all dps focus that one. When no legs are up, we go on the boss ofc. Our problem seems to be the dps, but it is not because our damage dealers can't do their job - I just think we might be doing something wrong. We have a lot of ranged, and this is causing us problems. As a shadow priest, I have an easy time on the legs, but out ele shaman and fire mage is struggling. Any help as to what they should do? Just ignore the legs?

Thank you in advance.

Alendior

Deleted
    We also had DPS Problems on him so we changed from DDs kiting to Tanks & healers kiting, that brought us to low percentage wipes.
    We then switched out one tank and had one of our tanks "tank" together with our DK-DD.
    Our DK switched to bloodspecc (for vengance) but wore his DPS-gear.
    We were able to kill him at enrage or less than a second before enrage with that setup, so we still are very very tight on the dps (mainly because our combatrogue does not do as much damage as could be and while we have some good DDs we also have some who are not playig up to their potential)

So TLDR: use as much DDs as you can for ex. 1 Tank one plateDD as "tanks" or even 2 rogues as "tanks" surviving furious swipe with faint+talent (don't know the name right now)

When he's not kiting, what is your warrior tank doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    When he's not kiting, what is your warrior tank doing?
    Taking furious swipes? What else would he be doing?

Some suggestions I've seen people do (I've not done the fight yet personally).
    1. Have your tanks switch to DPS specs and wear DPS gear (if they are getting hit to hard tank gear). This would give you another cleaver for legs.
    2. You are killing legs too fast. You want to leave 1 up for your rogue & warrior to cleave against. So, I would nuke 3 legs at start then have your ranged be on boss 100%. Your rogue and warrior should be able to kill the legs in appropriate time by cleaving them.
    3. Have your pally or druid healer take the furious swipes and move your warrior to full time DPS. Your druids can go bear form (if necessary) or your pally should be able to survive due to plate.
    4. Switch to 2 healing the fight with the 2 druids (preferable due to CDs, also, pally would be able to stand in green for additional damage)

Your mileage may vary based on how geared/capable your players are but all these are tips I've seen people suggest. As I said, I've not done the fight so I'm not sure how applicable they are. Also, your combat rogue should be pulling 150k DPS on that fight due to leg cleaving. If he's not he needs to step it up.

Right now, we nuke the first legs, and then whenever a new one spawns, all dps focus that one. When no legs are up, we go on the boss ofc. Our problem seems to be the dps, but it is not because our damage dealers can't do their job
    We learned that if you leave the front legs up for the tanks (or whomever is tanking slashes) to get the boss dies faster. I'm in a meeting (fml) so can't type much more but did vid with the shit we did on our first kill to finally beat the enrage.

Being generally horrible but helpful since Molten Core;
    When leading was more about managing bathroom breaks than boss mechanics.
    http://www.ihazlead.com - Raid leading guides, tutorials, and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bairyhalls View Post
    Taking furious swipes? What else would he be doing?
    I'm no expert reading logs, but it doesn't look to me like he's, you know, hitting the boss all that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much everything that NightZero said is spot on. For our first kill we had only our rogue, warrior, and fire mage on the legs, and just barely made it. There was a very noticeable difference when the fire mage switched off of legs and let only the melee go for the legs. The extra damage from cleaves is just too good to waste on single target.

Thank you all for your replies, raid starts in 40 mins, will post back how it goes ^_^ have taken all your tips into consideration, and have changed the strat accordingly. Thank you once again

Your DPS should be double dotting cleaving legs it will help! Hero at the start to kill legs

Got him <3 Thank you all! Took us 10 wipes, but we got him, with 20 secs till enrage! Love you all

Got him <3 Thank you all! Took us 10 wipes, but we got him, with 20 secs till enrage! Love you all
    Awesome!! On to bosses that are a lot more fun. Enjoy!

Slightly stealing this thread. We had our first few attempts at this boss last night after we killed blade lord but we were noticing some issues. We were running with 2 tanks, 3 healers, 3 melee and 2 ranged. Our problem was that when kiting around the very outside of the room we were getting times where his legs would be outside of the map and could not be hit by any melee or ranged. How do you guys combat this issue? Are we just moving to slowly around the outside?

Secondly, even with 3 healers we were taking a crazy amount of damage (no it was not crushes, those were only done during swaps) that with 3 healers everyone was always very low. I would assume most of the raid is in Ilevel 480ish+ gear. Do we just need to step it up?

Our raid comp is: Prot warrior, prot pally, rogue, fury/arms warrior (not sure what he was running), BM hunter, affliction lock, mage (not sure what spec he was running), resto shammy and two resto druids. We have a good comp but on our best attempt which was only to about 60% we were 90k DPS (assuming it was 530k) from beating the encounter. Our prot warrior doesn't have a great DPS set but our prot pally does so I was thinking of making the rogue tank with feint along with the prot warrior to add another DPS. That being said does anyone have numbers of what these classes should be pulling DPS wise? I know there was a nerf but I would think a rogue should still be pulling upwards of 120k+ DPS on the boss. Also, does anyone have any tips for our mage? His DPS was pretty low even though he can just stand still and nuke the boss.

Lastly, we've done 4/6 MV, 2/6 HoF, should we go back and try and finish MV and maybe do some heroics before continuing on with HoF?
    Last edited by NightZero88; 2012-12-14 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Slightly stealing this thread. We had our first few attempts at this boss last night after we killed blade lord but we were noticing some issues. We were running with 2 tanks, 3 healers, 3 melee and 2 ranged. Our problem was that when kiting around the very outside of the room we were getting times where his legs would be outside of the map and could not be hit by any melee or ranged. How do you guys combat this issue? Are we just moving to slowly around the outside?

Secondly, even with 3 healers we were taking a crazy amount of damage (no it was not crushes, those were only done during swaps) that with 3 healers everyone was always very low. I would assume most of the raid is in Ilevel 480ish+ gear. Do we just need to step it up?

Our raid comp is: Prot warrior, prot pally, rogue, fury/arms warrior (not sure what he was running), BM hunter, affliction lock, mage (not sure what spec he was running), resto shammy and two resto druids. We have a good comp but on our best attempt which was only to about 60% we were 90k DPS (assuming it was 530k) from beating the encounter. Our prot warrior doesn't have a great DPS set but our prot pally does so I was thinking of making the rogue tank with feint along with the prot warrior to add another DPS. That being said does anyone have numbers of what these classes should be pulling DPS wise? I know there was a nerf but I would think a rogue should still be pulling upwards of 120k+ DPS on the boss. Also, does anyone have any tips for our mage? His DPS was pretty low even though he can just stand still and nuke the boss.

Lastly, we've done 4/6 MV, 2/6 HoF, should we go back and try and finish MV and maybe do some heroics before continuing on with HoF?
    1. Elegon is a very difficult fight but is still easier than garalon
    2. Even though the prot tank is going DPS still have him in front eating the swipe
    3. The two people in the front. Your "tanks" should kill that outside leg first as yes it does sometimes become unreachable
    4. There's a bunch of other crap i'm forgetting but it's in the video I posted in this thread above that should help you guys. IMHO though, go get elegon before tackling this monster.

Quote Originally Posted by jfragment View Post
    1. Elegon is a very difficult fight but is still easier than garalon
    2. Even though the prot tank is going DPS still have him in front eating the swipe
    3. The two people in the front. Your "tanks" should kill that outside leg first as yes it does sometimes become unreachable
    4. There's a bunch of other crap i'm forgetting but it's in the video I posted in this thread above that should help you guys. IMHO though, go get elegon before tackling this monster.
    Since our prot warrior doesn't have very good DPS gear, I was thinking of having him stay prot and have him take swipes with our rogue using feint. Our prot pally would go ret and go back with the other melee which would give us another DPSer and bring us closer to the DPS requirements. That being said, I see an issue with the rogue taking the swipe and using feint because he wouldn't be able to do as much DPS (as combat) if a leg spawned in back. How do you deal with this?

Assuming the drawing below, where A, B, D and E are legs and C is the body, everyone kills D right away, then melee go to A, range kill E and then melee use B to cleave off of until another leg spawns. I don't think my tanks where attacking legs at all but it is probably a good idea to have them help kill E so I will do that. Also we go right on the pull.
    A B
    C
    D E

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post

Lots of stuff there but I'll try my best. We ran a wierd comp to get our kill.
    Heals: holy pally (me), resto shaman, mistweaver monk (dps healing on the legs, he pulled ~35k dps/~40k hps)
    Dps: survival hunter, bm hunter, fury warrior, boomkin, shadow priest, affliction warlock
    Tank: blood dk

The 2 hunters, priest and warlock handled pheremones and the blood dk and holy pally took cleaves. We used heroism on the pull to kill the first set of legs quickly. Healing and defensive cd's for crushes unless everyone is already topped off (primarily ascendance and healing tide).

For movement, we didn't have him hanging outside the map, so that's something you'll want to work on. Basically just make sure the kiters get around corners before he gets there and he will turn soon enough to stay fully inside the map. Something to note is that the boss does not need to be as

To the damage question, how frequently are you swapping pheremones? We were doing ~20 stacks and that seemed ok although we occasionally had rough spots. Our final healing numbers were 69k (pally doing EF blanketing with pvp set), 55k (shaman) and 40k (monk). If your healers are able to come close to that it could be an issue of people not moving out of pheremone pools quickly enough or being out of range of healers at bad times.

Dps wise I don't remember exact numbers. I believe our lock was one of our highest around 90k. You're correct that the rogue should be doing very well. Assuming he's combat, he should be able to be in a leg circle nearly all of the time and cleave buffed damage onto the body for huge numbers. Since you seem to be having issues with keeping the legs in reachable range, that may be part of his problem. As for the mage, it depends on spec. Fire will get the largest benefit from the leg buffs since they should be able to cleave buffed dots onto the body. Frost and Arcane should be in the circles when they can but don't go out of their way to do it since mobility is going to cost them a lot more.

Ultimately, a lot of it comes down to fine tuning and squeezing out every bit of dps you can. Our last 3 attempts before the kill went something like 30% wipe, 22% enrage wipe, kill, with our kill attempt being maybe 5 seconds before the enrage. The point being that if your healers can get you to survive to the enrage timer, you should just need to tweak dps up to get the kill.

Edit: To your other question about MSV vs. HoF. Elegon and Garalon are both primarily dps and coordination checks, so you kind of have to pick your poison at that point. Elegon feels a litte easier to me than garalon, but not by much. It really comes down to how well your dps can kill orb waves. The other thing to note is that Will of the Emperor is significantly easier than either Elegon or Garalon, provided your tanks and melee can do the dances. The fight is a little rough on healers but it is still very doable.
    Last edited by Kurzior; 2012-12-14 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    The 2 hunters, priest and warlock handled pheremones and the blood dk and holy pally took cleaves. We used heroism on the pull to kill the first set of legs quickly. Healing and defensive cd's for crushes unless everyone is already topped off (primarily ascendance and healing tide).
    We were trying originally with the two tanks and two druids doing the kiting. I will likely have to change this approach if I move the pally to DPS. I'm assuming with our comp it'd be either the hunter or lock or perhaps both (and dropping the tank) to do pheromone kiting. I've heard mixed reviews about having healers kite or not kite but with our group at least one would have to due to the number of melee we have.

For movement, we didn't have him hanging outside the map, so that's something you'll want to work on. Basically just make sure the kiters get around corners before he gets there and he will turn soon enough to stay fully inside the map. Something to note is that the boss does not need to be as
    I'm not sure if you were going to type more here because your sentenced ended with "as" but that is a good tip, to make corners better to not have that problem. I also think I need to move faster because I got killed by the slash (as the 3rd kiter).

To the damage question, how frequently are you swapping pheremones? We were doing ~20 stacks and that seemed ok although we occasionally had rough spots. Our final healing numbers were 69k (pally doing EF blanketing with pvp set), 55k (shaman) and 40k (monk). If your healers are able to come close to that it could be an issue of people not moving out of pheremone pools quickly enough or being out of range of healers at bad times.
    I think our heal team needs to step up then. I'm not sure where we were at healing wise as I'm at work but I think we were all around 40k. Our comp isn't the greatest at 2*rdruid/shammy but we do have good CDs for crushes. Two tranqs, healing tide. We were also swapping at 20 but not real well because it was our first attempts and coordination was off.

Dps wise I don't remember exact numbers. I believe our lock was one of our highest around 90k. You're correct that the rogue should be doing very well. Assuming he's combat, he should be able to be in a leg circle nearly all of the time and cleave buffed damage onto the body for huge numbers. Since you seem to be having issues with keeping the legs in reachable range, that may be part of his problem. As for the mage, it depends on spec. Fire will get the largest benefit from the leg buffs since they should be able to cleave buffed dots onto the body. Frost and Arcane should be in the circles when they can but don't go out of their way to do it since mobility is going to cost them a lot more.
    We had 3 people at 100k or above, the rest were lower. In total we were about 440k DPS on our best attempt. If I move the pally to DPS and he can pull 90k or our lower DPS (tank, mage, etc) can pick it up I think we can do it. We just need to survive.

Ultimately, a lot of it comes down to fine tuning and squeezing out every bit of dps you can. Our last 3 attempts before the kill went something like 30% wipe, 22% enrage wipe, kill, with our kill attempt being maybe 5 seconds before the enrage. The point being that if your healers can get you to survive to the enrage timer, you should just need to tweak dps up to get the kill.
    Yeah, it was our first night at it so I'm not surprised it didn't go amazingly but it was pretty rough for us, especially healing wise.

Edit: To your other question about MSV vs. HoF. Elegon and Garalon are both primarily dps and coordination checks, so you kind of have to pick your poison at that point. Elegon feels a litte easier to me than garalon, but not by much. It really comes down to how well your dps can kill orb waves. The other thing to note is that Will of the Emperor is significantly easier than either Elegon or Garalon, provided your tanks and melee can do the dances. The fight is a little rough on healers but it is still very doable.
    I'll see about convincing people to give Elegon another go. Thanks for the tips, they really help.