Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    When I had an anti-glare coating, I found that it scratched super easy, so within a couple months, my glasses looked like they were badly scratched and dirty all the freakin' time.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    When I had an anti-glare coating, I found that it scratched super easy, so within a couple months, my glasses looked like they were badly scratched and dirty all the freakin' time.
    sounds like you purchased a cheap AR coating. I would go with the Zeiss purecoat or the essilor teflon coating. These coatings have proven to be pretty scratch resistant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexighar View Post
    sounds like you purchased a cheap AR coating. I would go with the Zeiss purecoat or the essilor teflon coating. These coatings have proven to be pretty scratch resistant.
    Thanks. Irrelevant to me these days though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Maybe surgery on eyes if it's possilbe? My friend had been wearing glasses until 9th grade in school. After surgery he don't need them anymore even lenses.
    Surgery is not a viable option for everyone.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wear two different glasses, my old ones while im home I could care less if they get dirty since I clean it with my shirt, and my expensive pair which i wear when I go out and use the special cleaning cloth if it were to get dirty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    True. It doesn't work for people with presbyopia, but it does work for the majority of nearsighted and farsighted people, and I can't recommend it enough.

Deleted
    I can't recommend it enough.
    It's also not free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine are like that also. I keep glasses cleaner in 3 different rooms in my house just so when i see a speck of dust, or a stray hair I clean them. When i bought them they said they added some micro-teflon-stuff to keep stuff off them. I don't know if i got ripped or if it works lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's also not free.
    It's cheaper than getting new glasses every couple years, or new contact lenses on a regular basis. You can even write it off as a medical procedure on your taxes and get 0% financing on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    True. It doesn't work for people with presbyopia, but it does work for the majority of nearsighted and farsighted people, and I can't recommend it enough.
    It's also expensive if you have to pay out of pocket, you have to have thick enough corneas, your eyesight has to be relatively stable, and you can't have certain medical conditions that might impede healing. Permanent side effects are very rare, but can also be of extra concern for some people in particular circumstances who may be at higher risk.

By all means, if surgery is feasible and one wants it - go for it. But "get laser correction" is not really an appropriate response to anyone who has issues with glasses or contacts, as it might not be an option for them.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

The protective film as worn off and you need new glasses. Mine never used to get dirty now they are dirty .4 seconds after I'm done washing them. One day I'll stop being so lazy and get a new pair but for now I spend most of my day looking through smudged lenses .
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    It's cheaper than getting new glasses every couple years, or new contact lenses on a regular basis. You can even write it off as a medical procedure on your taxes and get 0% financing on it.
    Lasik costs 2500-3000€ for the reliable ones, maybe around 2000€ for the cheaper ones, here in Finland. New glasses cost around 200-250€ I guess with decent rims and all the bling. A set of glasses should by all logic last you at least a few years (my last ones lasted 15), so that's still three, four decades worth of glasses in the price of the surgery.

Also, having the surgery doesn't mean your eyesight won't go bad again at the same rate as it's been going thus far.

So yeah, add up all the risks, however small, with that kind of a price tag, and weigh in the actual need to be glass-free... I'll stick to my rims, thanks.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-12-13 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's also expensive if you have to pay out of pocket, you have to have thick enough corneas, your eyesight has to be relatively stable, and you can't have certain medical conditions that might impede healing. Permanent side effects are very rare, but can also be of extra concern for some people in particular circumstances who may be at higher risk.

By all means, if surgery is feasible and one wants it - go for it. But "get laser correction" is not really an appropriate response to anyone who has issues with glasses or contacts, as it might not be an option for them.
    I was able to get 0% financing for 2 years. At $2000 for the procedure, that's $83/month, and it lasts as long as your eyes don't change naturally. Meanwhile I have better vision than I ever did with glasses and it'll probably last me a good 10-15 years before I have to have the procedure done again.

And yes, you're right that it's not a good option for everyone, but there's nothing wrong with recommending that people look into it, especially if they're complaining of being annoyed with glasses maintenance.

Try these. A pack of 200 hundred of them has lasted me 2 years and was just a couple bucks. Perfectly wipes away all residue and oil after a second or 2 of rubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's also not free.
    Might not be free but it is totally worth it if you can afford it.

10+ Year Old Account
    lasik is a viable option for those who do not with to wear glasses or contacts. Now days its perfectly ok and 99% safe to get it if you do it in the united states.

And yes, you're right that it's not a good option for everyone, but there's nothing wrong with recommending that people look into it, especially if they're complaining of being annoyed with glasses maintenance.
    Boy, that escalated quickly.

You're not supposed to use body soap on glasses because it wears down the protective coating and it starts to strip off. The correct way of cleaning glasses is to use dish soap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    The correct way of cleaning glasses is to use dish soap.
    I can personally recommend Fairy for this exact purpose, with an extremely gentle touch, and no drying off with any kind of paper or cloth. Has worked for me for years and years with a couple different sets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing works, especially anything bought from the optician. But to me using contact lenses is worse. So, I have to deal with cleaning my glasses constantly instead.
    One day I will get surgery if it's an option for me, haven't used glasses that long. Started when I was 16 so it's only been 9 years. Still it annoys me oh so much... :O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    Nothing works, especially anything bought from the optician. But to me using contact lenses is worse. So, I have to deal with cleaning my glasses constantly instead.
    One day I will get surgery if it's an option for me, haven't used glasses that long. Started when I was 16 so it's only been 9 years. Still it annoys me oh so much... :O
    Well considering that Opticians are usually the expert in this case, I would have to respectfully disagree with you. While a lot of Opticians work for large big box retailers and are required by their job codes to follow a specific criteria for sales, most states require some sort of certification now, either American Board of Optician certification or LDO (license dispensing Optician). Some may sell you things you dont need but they do not speak for all who work in the optical Industry. As far as nothing working, seems like the error is not with the product as much as it is with the person. It is a matter of perspective as far as CL's are concerned, There are CL's our there that are very comfortable. The only thing that makes CL's worse is over use and not cleaning them on a daily basis.