Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexighar View Post
    lasik is a viable option for those who do not with to wear glasses or contacts. Now days its perfectly ok and 99% safe to get it if you do it in the united states.
    99% safe as in "you won't go blind after surgery"? There are a lot of lesser complications that are often overseen or ignored by a lot of people when it comes to lasik. Somewhere around 5-10% experience some level of loss in night vision and/or corona/halo-effects around sources of light after the surgery. I'm one of them unfortunately. I have lost about 40% night vision on my right eye and have to rely on my left eye whenever it's dark. As always there are pros and cons to everything and the majority of people having these surgeries never experience any of these complications but they have to be taken in consideration before scheduling a surgery.

im obsessive about cleaning my glasses. and i work in a woodshop. it works well for me :/

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I used to use sprays for my glasses, but I went away from that.

All I use now is super hot water from the tap and a light dusting cloth/hankercheif that has never been through the wash with detergent. That seems to keep them clean and from drawing dust excessively.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenya View Post
    99% safe as in "you won't go blind after surgery"? There are a lot of lesser complications that are often overseen or ignored by a lot of people when it comes to lasik. Somewhere around 5-10% experience some level of loss in night vision and/or corona/halo-effects around sources of light after the surgery. I'm one of them unfortunately. I have lost about 40% night vision on my right eye and have to rely on my left eye whenever it's dark. As always there are pros and cons to everything and the majority of people having these surgeries never experience any of these complications but they have to be taken in consideration before scheduling a surgery.
    Yes, my spouse is completely night blind after lasik. He does not regret the decision to get the surgery because before he was super dependent on his glasses to do anything, wearing a strong prescription since he was a child. The surgery gave him better than 20/20 vision for almost a year and although he's back to needing glasses, the rx is light; he can legally drive without them, but they help him a lot in low-light situations. But he will never be able to safely drive at night again.

Almost everyone experiences loss of night vision and halos immediately after surgery but for almost everyone it clears up within a few months as the eyes heal. His surgery was six or seven years ago, though, and unfortunately his corneas are too thin from the first surgery to have it again to see if they can correct the issue.

I'm not trying to dissuade people from the surgery. This is a really, really rare side effect and for many people's lifestyles it's not a big deal. I think the bigger issue for most would be cost (his surgery was almost $8k for both eyes, much higher than the other price mentioned in this thread), and eligibility (you need to be free of certain medical conditions and your eyes need to be stable for about a year). I'm not eligible for laser correction myself, although I'm not sure I would risk the both of us being night blind since I'm the driver by default now in the evenings.

ANYWAY.

TL;DR lasik can be awesome but is not an option for everyone

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Yeah I constantly see markings almost like fingerprints on the lenses closest to the bridge. I am almost positive that I don't put my fingers anywhere near that area but who knows.. I may somehow do it without realizing it.

I need to end up cleaning my glasses about once every half hour or less, and I don't even wear them full time.. Mainly when I am playing games or watching movies

Credit for the creation of this awesome signature belongs to Shyama

I used to use cleaning sprays but I found oleophobic coating to be very helpful recently. My new glasses from Zenni Optical have an oleophobic fingerprint resistant coating ($14.95 extra) and I can remove any finger prints on the lens with a microfiber cleaning cloth.