Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    4 pages here and not one link to the source.

Source please?
    Page 1, post 4...

I actually wrote a blog entry about this last night when I read the story. There are more people at fault than the winning team for this, but the winning team does share a huge chunk of the responsibility of this situation.
    -The losing team averages 17 ppg and has lost 23 straight. They have no business even playing the winning team. That is on the schools who scheduled this nonsense.
    -Indiana does not use the shot clock. The winning team could have just ran clock all game like tons of girls teams do around the country (some of the higher ranked teams end games 17-15 and it is equally pathetic to this since they literally stand there with the ball for minutes at a time. They could have done that.
    - Why is there no mercy rule in basketball to prevent these situations? There is in HS baseball.
    - The winning coach shouldn't have to tell his players to stop. They should have the cognitive ability to realize what they are doing is pathetic and should have just started passing it around the horn and running out the clock rather than extending the game by continuing to take shots and play hard defense.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    True but let's hope the winning team actually shows sportsmanship or else they're just jerks.

Winning a game does not make the poor sportsmen. No matter how much they win by.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 03:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Page 1, post 4...

I actually wrote a blog entry about this last night when I read the story. There are more people at fault than the winning team for this, but the winning team does share a huge chunk of the responsibility of this situation.
    -The losing team averages 17 ppg and has lost 23 straight. They have no business even playing the winning team. That is on the schools who scheduled this nonsense.
    -Indiana does not use the shot clock. The winning team could have just ran clock all game like tons of girls teams do around the country (some of the higher ranked teams end games 17-15 and it is equally pathetic to this since they literally stand there with the ball for minutes at a time. They could have done that.
    - Why is there no mercy rule in basketball to prevent these situations? There is in HS baseball.
    - The winning coach shouldn't have to tell his players to stop. They should have the cognitive ability to realize what they are doing is pathetic and should have just started passing it around the horn and running out the clock rather than extending the game by continuing to take shots and play hard defense.
    All of this is your opinion. I see no reason they should have stopped for anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    When you're playing against your little cousin are you potentially being scouted for a future in college basketball? Do your stats get recorded?
    You think college scouts give a shit about this type of game? That is laughable. Beyond laughable even. That is exactly like saying NFL scouts give a crap about the stats an Oregon player put up on Tennessee Tech. They don't care. Games like this show absolutely NOTHING about your ability as a basketball player. Nothing at all. Congratulations you were great in what is a glorified practice. They don't care. Players aren't recruited or drafted for stat lines (or that kid from the D3 school who scored over 100+ points a couple weeks ago would be a top 5 NBA draft pick). Players aren't recruited or drafted for what they did in laughable throwaway games.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 03:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    All of this is your opinion. I see no reason they should have stopped for anything.
    And that is your opinion. I think we can both agree that the game never should have been played though lol. Schools of these abilities have no business playing each other at any level of sports.

Found these little gems:

2011-2012: Arlington 67, Washington 15
    2010-2011: Arlington 80, Washington 18
    2008-2009: Arlington 83, Broad Ripple 18
    2008-2009: Arlington 78, Manual 14
    2006-2007: Arlington 115, Indianapolis Howe 17
    2005-2006: Arlington 101, Washington 14
    2004-2005: Arlington 104, Howe 26
    2004-2005: Arlington 90, Washington 13

YEAH GUYS I FEEL SO BAD FOR ARLINGTON NOW, THEY TOTALLY NEVER DID ANYTHING SIMILAR EVER, NOT EVEN ONCE

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    Snip
    Link for those wondering where he got those scores: http://pastgb.homestead.com/files/pastgirls158.htm

Yes that does show it in another light. My question is what the hell is going on with their basketball schedule? Last November Arlington lost 81-10 then won the next game 67-15. 107-2 is phenomenally stupid and is slightly more out of line than those past scores, but there certainly does seem to be an issue here with the quality of competition on the schedules of these teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    You think college scouts give a shit about this type of game? That is laughable. Beyond laughable even. That is exactly like saying NFL scouts give a crap about the stats an Oregon player put up on Tennessee Tech. They don't care. Games like this show absolutely NOTHING about your ability as a basketball player. Nothing at all. Congratulations you were great in what is a glorified practice. They don't care. Players aren't recruited or drafted for stat lines (or that kid from the D3 school who scored over 100+ points a couple weeks ago would be a top 5 NBA draft pick). Players aren't recruited or drafted for what they did in laughable throwaway games.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 03:35 PM ----------

And that is your opinion. I think we can both agree that the game never should have been played though lol. Schools of these abilities have no business playing each other at any level of sports.
    I don't think scouts care about blow out games, but what if a scout was at that game and player X knew about it? You want to show what you can do. Puts the player in a terrible position - show what they can do and look terrible because they trounce some terrible team, or look terrible because when on the court they stand around doing nothing. I also never said that stats matter to recruiting, especially one game stats. However, some players do play for their own stats. A 20 ppg scorer who cares about their stat line will probably try to score at least 20 even when it might be bad form to do so.

I fully agree that the two teams should never have played each other if this differential was standard and historied. If the one team was just suddenly this bad or good then it might not have been avoidable. If both teams have a history of relative equality and one team is having an unexpectedly good/bad year then sometimes it just isn't possible to schedule around such mismatches (limits on travel times, school sizes, whatever).

Didn't know Indiana didn't use a shot clock - that changes things significantly as well.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 02:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    Did you actually read what I said? Because if you did, you wouldn't be disagreeing with me on something we clearly agree on.

Reading rainbow, I am disappoint in your long term success rate.
    Your wording on your original post is poor. It seems to take the context that they should of played to make them feel good the same way you let up on your little cousin. Your later replies show this wasn't your intent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not scoring in a basketball game? That team is terrible and should rethink playing in a league. The winning team did what they had to do, build some goal difference and I bet they had fun crushing the other team.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    I don't think scouts care about blow out games, but what if a scout was at that game and player X knew about it? You want to show what you can do. Puts the player in a terrible position - show what they can do and look terrible because they trounce some terrible team, or look terrible because when on the court they stand around doing nothing. I also never said that stats matter to recruiting, especially one game stats. However, some players do play for their own stats. A 20 ppg scorer who cares about their stat line will probably try to score at least 20 even when it might be bad form to do so.

I fully agree that the two teams should never have played each other if this differential was standard and historied. If the one team was just suddenly this bad or good then it might not have been avoidable. If both teams have a history of relative equality and one team is having an unexpectedly good/bad year then sometimes it just isn't possible to schedule around such mismatches (limits on travel times, school sizes, whatever).

Didn't know Indiana didn't use a shot clock - that changes things significantly as well.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 02:17 PM ----------

Your wording on your original post is poor. It seems to take the context that they should of played to make them feel good the same way you let up on your little cousin. Your later replies show this wasn't your intent.
    I asked:

"Would you feel worse if you were beaten badly? Or if you were patronized to the point where you felt as if you were a child or handicapped person playing against healthy young adults? Because that's what your asking."

The only way we could've had any disagreement is if you preferred the 2nd option. I fail to see anything wrong with my wording.

Edit: If people can't handle these blow outs, do NOT ever watch HS wrestling. Seeing 1 person toy with another to a 15-0 tech fall decision is the most embarrassing thing I have ever witnessed in sports, and it is encouraged (granted a pin is preferred).
    Last edited by Propainn; 2012-12-13 at 09:26 PM.

man this reminds me when my class had to step in for our schools basketball team in a "tournament".
    we went down and down isn't enough. 9X-4 in the first game and 1XX-8 in the second one.
    were we devastated? nope never played more than 2h of basketball in our whole lives and we barely understood the rules^^

what does this story tell us? c'mon who cries about a lost game in high school....

reminds me of how people were bitching at the Seahawks a few days ago for 'running up the score' on the Cardinals by winning 58-0.
    and those are two teams that are being paid to play their sport.

There's a difference between defeating the opponent and outright humiliating them.

Do you honestly think there would have been a difference in the outcome if the winners had won by 20 points vs 107? No. The winners would have won, and the losers would have lost.

There's no need to crush them that hard... it's superfluous and makes the other team feel like crap.

There's nothing unsportsman like about running up a score that high. As long as the winning team doesn't change their play style because they're winning by a large margin, it's fine in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    There's a difference between defeating the opponent and outright humiliating them.

Do you honestly think there would have been a difference in the outcome if the winners had won by 20 points vs 107? No. The winners would have won, and the losers would have lost.

There's no need to crush them that hard... it's superfluous and makes the other team feel like crap.
    So you would rather be treated as if you shouldn't even be on the court by having the other team not even play the game, then to actually just simply lose?

How is being patronized any less humiliating than being beaten badly? I just don't get it, maybe it's just me and maybe I'm crazy for it, but I'd much prefer to lose a game that was actually played by 105 than losing by 40 and feeling as if I was on a team of handicapped players because I was being handed the ball by the other team and had no defense played against me. I would be furious in the latter scenario.

Deleted
    Surprised by the number of "they've done nothing wrong" posts in this thread, do you people actually play sports?

There's no glory in outright humiliating people, and there tends to be a certain instinct which makes you "play down" your abilities when your up against a person or team of much lesser skill than your own.

It keeps the game "fun" for both sides which is precisely what sport is supposed to be about. Especially with high school sports, they're kids ffs.

Deleted
    I would be insulted if they didn't give it anything. "Letting" the other team have a chance is just mockery, it's like having a duel with the best PvPer of your class then finding out they're only going to wear half their gear. The whole point of going against someone vastly better is to experience the gap and learn what separates the two sides, it's an exceptional way to learn with the right attitude.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't follow basketball at all as I personally find it boring, so I could be wrong but do basketball leagues use a for/against for teams that get stuck on the same points on the ladder? If they do then smashing your opponent into the ground could really help you in the long run. Perhaps some of them wanted to set their season high scores etc...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    Surprised by the number of "they've done nothing wrong" posts in this thread, do you people actually play sports?

There's no glory in outright humiliating people, and there tends to be a certain instinct which makes you "play down" your abilities when your up against a person or team of much lesser skill than your own.

It keeps the game "fun" for both sides which is precisely what sport is supposed to be about. Especially with high school sports, they're kids ffs.
    You see to me the idea that they're holding back is more humiliating than an outright terrible loss. My experiences of this are from sparring in kickboxing, as well as some tournament football.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Have you ever been on the losing side of the mercy rule? If you have, then you know the feeling of having your game cut short because you are losing by a large enough margin. It's a pretty big kick in the nuts really. I've been on that side of the mercy rule a few times in my life (played little league soccer back in the day) and I can say that even at that age, I would have much rather just played the game out. Yeah, it's not fun to lose in an absolute trouncing, but having the game cut short feels even worse.
    Ya I've been there. The thing that bothers me about the mercy rule in baseball (haven't experienced soccer's or know what it is) is that it isn't at all not able to be overcome. Teams put together 8-9 run innings all the time. Teams don't come back from 60 down in basketball ever. Its literally impossible. You'd think that would be the sport that uses it. And ya its embarrassing having the game end early. But from what I remember it was just as embarrassing as losing by a truly epic number.

I guess I don't see what the problem is. One team stomped another, it happens, so what's the fuss? I agree that it's pretty pathetic that our society is so stuck on its stride toward equality that we can't even have winners and losers anymore. Fully liberal society will be the end of individualism.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moarfail View Post
    I don't follow basketball at all as I personally find it boring, so I could be wrong but do basketball leagues use a for/against for teams that get stuck on the same points on the ladder? If they do then smashing your opponent into the ground could really help you in the long run. Perhaps some of them wanted to set their season high scores etc...
    No, there is zero benefit to margin of victory or total points like in football/soccer. Tiebreakers are all head to head record, same opponent record, etc.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 05:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I guess I don't see what the problem is. One team stomped another, it happens, so what's the fuss? I agree that it's pretty pathetic that our society is so stuck on its stride toward equality that we can't even have winners and losers anymore. Fully liberal society will be the end of individualism.
    This has nothing to do with equality. No one is saying that the losing team should be given a trophy or that score shouldn't be kept. Teams should play equal levels of competition and you shouldn't be winning games by scoring 53 times the number of points as your opposition.