Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well since this on the MMO-C forums, perhapps a more relative visual is needed.

In WoW arena fights, should the 2k+ ranked team that gets saddled against newly formed arena team, play at a lesser pace to acomidate the difference in rank and assume the other players are crap?

Though I will say at some point, they should have just called the game. If it was so apparent that the other team was not gunna b able to do anything, the coah of the loseing team should have just saved her players the embarassment of an ass kicking and just tossed in the towel.
    Last edited by Lethey Alexandros; 2012-12-13 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    the coah of the loseing team should have just saved her players the embarassment of an ass kicking and just tossed in the towel.

I agree at some point the coach or coaches should have talked about forfeiting the game to save face.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I hope you exclude cheating and playing rough.
    I'm against cheating out of principle and because it can hinder winning if you get caught (both are equally good reasons in my book), playing "rough" is the norm in most sports (maybe not in rhytmic gymnastics, but I never did that so I don't know) and unless it clearly violates the rules (which would be cheating) I always expect my teammates and opponents to play rough and I always do so myself.

Edit: Only scoring 107 points when you clearly stomp the other team is pathetic and/or leaniant/generous in basketball anyway, so I REALLY don't get what all the fuzz is about.
    Last edited by TequilaFlavor; 2012-12-13 at 10:27 PM.

Coming Second place is just being the First Loser.

That is all I have to say

This talk of "running up the score" is and always will be bullshit.

It is detrimental to the integrity of the sport (any sport, at any level) to intentionally avoid scoring because you already have a substantial lead. I'm not saying you can't slow down once the game's in the bag, or that you shouldn't swap in some second or third-string players who don't get a lot of play time, but you should never feel bad just because you're winning by a very large margin.

And by the same token, you shouldn't feel bad losing by a very large margin either. A situation like this indicates that the teams were very poorly matched, and this should be seen as a loss like any other, albeit to a higher-scoring team than most. It would have been infinitely more humiliating had the winning team intentionally avoided scoring.

It's not like the winning team were busting their asses down to the last second to get every last possible point on the board. Something like that (outside of a rivalry game) I would consider unsporting, but ultimately inconsequential.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuljatar View Post

It is detrimental to the integrity of the sport (any sport, at any level) to intentionally avoid scoring because you already have a substantial lead. I'm not saying you can't slow down once the game's in the bag, or that you shouldn't swap in some second or third-string players who don't get a lot of play time, but you should never feel bad just because you're winning by a very large margin.

And by the same token, you shouldn't feel bad losing by a very large margin either. A situation like this indicates that the teams were very poorly matched, and this should be seen as a loss like any other, albeit to a higher-scoring team than most. It would have been infinitely more humiliating had the winning team intentionally avoided scoring.

It's not like the winning team were busting their asses down to the last second to get every last possible point on the board. Something like that (outside of a rivalry game) I would consider unsporting, but ultimately inconsequential.
    Agreed for the most part.

But you actually SHOULD feel bad for getting stomped and you WILL. This can give you the edge you need to put more heart and struggle into it next time.

Also: It's actually much more unsporting to avoid scoring (as you said), so going for a good clean stomp isn't a bad thing (even just to get respected and feared by other teams a bit more, which again, might give you an edge).

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post
    Agreed for the most part.

But you actually SHOULD feel bad for getting stomped and you WILL. This can give you the edge you need to put more heart and struggle into it next time.

Also: It's actually much more unsporting to avoid scoring (as you said), so going for a good clean stomp isn't a bad thing (even just to get respected and feared by other teams a bit more, which again, might give you an edge).
    Well, yeah. What I meant was, you shouldn't feel any worse about a 105 point loss than you would about a 40 point loss.

And going all-out with your best players when you're already far beyond the outcome being in question isn't likely to get you much respect or fear when your opponent isn't putting up any sort of fight. Put the 2007 Patriots up against the 2008 Lions and I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats scored triple digits, but it wouldn't really mean anything to either team. Now if there was a rivalry going on, I can see going all out based on that (remember "because I couldn't go for three"?).

Am I missing something here? Each team played by the same rules, with the same number of players and the same ball on the same court. How is this not fair?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    If people want to play in sports, they need to get used to losing, and sometimes you lose badly. People need to grow up and stop trying to act like one team is bad because the other team sucked noodles and got dominated in a game that already has an inflated scoring system. It's like Canada icing a team made up of 17-19 year old hockey players and putting them up against a professional hockey team from Italy and the Italians get their asses handed to them 14-0, it's called talent and skill at a game. When you don't even have the skill or the coaching to play the game well, why should your opponents take it easy on you?

Quote Originally Posted by Vuljatar View Post

Running up the score isn't just trying to score. Running up the score is (to use Football as an example) throwing downfield passes and going for it on fourth down/going for two/keeping your starters on the field in the fourth quarter when you're already up by 40 or 50 points . To use Basketball as an example, it'd be using a 7-seconds or less offense in the last ten minutes of the game and not subbing in your second/third/fourth string players when you're up 70+ to 8. That is running up the score. All it does is put your starters at risk of injury in a meaningless contest and makes you look like a petty coach.

If you're up by that much and you already have cleared your entire bench, try going for more runs (or passes if you've been running all over them) and don't run downfield pass plays. It means taking up the entire shot clock or passing the ball around, trying more 3 pointers (if you're a bad 3pt shooting team) or trying a lay up as the clock expires. You can still play hard and till the end without trying to humiliate your opponent. It's a terrible display of sportsmanship, which is an important concept to teach athletes, ESPECIALLY when they're still in High School or younger. Sportsmanship is helping the player you just tackled hard up off their back, not standing over them and taunting them. It's about running to the other end of the court after making a basket, not gloating to the defenders about how you just plowed through them for the score.

If you're already playing the bottom of your bench and milking the clock and you're still scoring, then you've done all you can and yes, the rest is on the other team/the league for not having some sort of mercy rule. But if you're not doing that, then you lack class.

Also, based on the past scores from this team, they're not just playing who is in their division and happened to dominate the bottom-rung team (which there are always going to be disparity in organized sports, no matter what level you play at. Some teams just won't be as good as others) It seems that they're more playing teams far below their skill level rather then trying to play teams that provide even a semblance of a challenge. This is akin to a team like Oregon or Alabama in football/Duke or NC State in Basketball playing mostly DII/DIII schools.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 08:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    If people want to play in sports, they need to get used to losing, and sometimes you lose badly. People need to grow up and stop trying to act like one team is bad because the other team sucked noodles and got dominated in a game that already has an inflated scoring system. It's like Canada icing a team made up of 17-19 year old hockey players and putting them up against a professional hockey team from Italy and the Italians get their asses handed to them 14-0, it's called talent and skill at a game. When you don't even have the skill or the coaching to play the game well, why should your opponents take it easy on you?
    Because this seems to be more along the lines of Canada suiting up their Olympic squad and then having them play a first-year high school team from India.

You can still play hard and be a great team without being classless dicks about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Teams don't come back from 60 down in basketball ever. Its literally impossible. You'd think that would be the sport that uses it. And ya its embarrassing having the game end early. But from what I remember it was just as embarrassing as losing by a truly epic number.
    But that always seem to happen in movies in TV shows, I'm sure Disney movies are most guilty of that.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post

Because this seems to be more along the lines of Canada suiting up their Olympic squad and then having them play a first-year high school team from India.

You can still play hard and be a great team without being classless dicks about it.
    Sounds like a team of high school girls vs. another team of high school girls to me.

/shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    Sounds like a team of high school girls vs. another team of high school girls to me.

/shrug
    Literally, yes. Using the hypothetical the person I replied to used, however, no.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my personal experiences, molly codding has never lead to improvement it leads to complacency. Sharp brutal slaps in the face with reality have always lead to reform, to much needed change, to seeking out improvement. Yes some people can't handle that but sport is and always has been a competitive environment, it isn't for everyone to play at a level where results matter.

Rather than protecting those who don't want to try, we should be encouraging those who apply themselves to exceed.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Honestly, if you can beat a team 107-2 in basketball, you're so much better than the other team that not scoring as much would require you to waste obscene amounts of time. That amount of time wasting would probably be more insulting than a 100 point margin of victory.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been on both sides of a scoreboard beatdown multiple times.

On the losing side of one, you get over it quickly. Your next practice might run a little bit longer, but that's about it.

On the winning side, once you have a decent lead, you lose some of the 'must win' intensity, (unless you're in a league/tournament where goals for/goals against are used for standings) but you still keep playing. You may not be trying as hard, but you don't intentionally miss shots.

IMO, as long as the winning team isn't mocking the other team during the beatdown (or after, for that matter), than it's still sportsmanship.

Deleted
    I believe that if you lose heavily, you're more likely to be motivated to train harder and be better.
    My year's rugby team at school in our first year of high school lost every game about 70-0, fast forward a year or two of getting battered repeatedly, they win most games now. If you get flattered by a result all the time because the other team ease up, you're going to paper over some of the cracks that cause you to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    In the Tour De France it's customary that if a contender crashes, the peloton slows and lets him catch up.

There is honor in being a good sport. Dusting a non-competitive team means nothing, and it is in fact why I don't give two shits about USA basketball teams in the Olympics.
    So you'd rather the mens professional team stop trying to let the other team catch up? That is one of the most retarded things Ive read on this forum. "Sorry were better than you here take the ball and get a few dunks and layups so the score will be closer."

I dont have a problem with this game. If your team sucks than your team sucks. Its not your opponents fault you cant play basketball worth a crap, its yours. Instead of whining that they ran up the score how about you actually play defense and stop them? Run some plays to make quality shots? What is wrong with people. This is High School. These arent kids in the 3rd grade.
    Last edited by Jibjabb; 2012-12-16 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    In the Tour De France it's customary that if a contender crashes, the peloton slows and lets him catch up.

There is honor in being a good sport. Dusting a non-competitive team means nothing, and it is in fact why I don't give two shits about USA basketball teams in the Olympics.
    Yes, but the winners did actually let the opponent score once for the honour. Which is as far as Dutch football goes, the way it's supposed to be. You'd also give the ball back if somebody got injured or you say nice shot in a tennis match. Nevertheless, if can't stand losing you shouldn't enter the game. In tennis I'll win with 6-0 6-0 if I can, no reason to go easy on somebody. I play in the senior league and if I play a younger contestent I won't go easy either (there is a junior league after all!), if you can't stand your loss, don't play! Same applies here!
    Last edited by Ethes; 2012-12-16 at 02:51 PM. Reason: wrote losing twice in a row, like a pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    Yes, but the winners did actually let the opponent score once for the honour. Which is as far as Dutch football goes, the way it's supposed to be. You'd also give the ball back if somebody got injured or you say nice shot in a tennis match. Nevertheless, if can't stand losing you shouldn't enter the game. In tennis I'll win with 6-0 6-0 if I can, no reason to go easy on somebody. I play in the senior league and if I play a younger contestent I won't go easy either (there is a junior league after all!), if you can't stand your loss, don't play! Same applies here!
    You know, you make it sound like they stoped moving just so the other team could literally get a score in, and that would be sad. Truthfully, whatever they "did" to allow them to score, what the fuck is the point? Why in the hell (not only should but) WOULD you "go easy" on someone? I really don't get why you should feel the need to go light on someone because they suck.

I can't fathom another guy saying a soccer team had a rule saying if you are up 5 goals you CAN'T score another until the other team gets one. What happens if you say "fuck it I'm scoring a 6th" do they make you forfeit or penalize you or something?

This is some of the most asinine kind of stuff I've ever read.