Disc Priest Question

Hello there, recently my gear has upgraded a little ( though it's not all raid gear yet) and my guild is /finally/ going to start their 10 mans soon due to the GM finally getting back from a brief hiatus. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and reforge mastery from what crit/haste I have or leave it alone? I have 34.69% mastery unbuffed but am unsure just quite where to take it.

Mitharyn is my priest , on WrA US if anyone wants to actually see her profile. Can't post links yet.

For general discing purposes I would stick to the spirit>mastery>crit>haste route. Have fun!

Thanks, I already know the general priority but was speaking for a 'would reforging at the moment be useful' concering my 34% mastery.

Hello Mitharyn,

Yes reforging would help. As you probably already know mastery is master for the disc priest. We get a buff to our bubbles with any increase in mastery. your gear is good for the time being but this is what I would change.

1) Head-you have spirit (Good) and haste (least benifical stat for us). Re-socket to Mastery if possible.
    2) Neck-Reforge haste to mastery
    3) Back-Reforge haste to mastery
    4) Legs-Reforge crit to mastery
    5)Rings-Reforge crit to mastery and on the other haste to mastery

Your combat regen is good for MV normal, but you will need to pop the mana fein every time it comes up. Also, I would suggest for you to go with the mind bender talent as well because it is a more consistent source of mana. If you have not already please macro Vail of Ichorous Blood to your Mind Bender/Mana Fien.

In macros type

#showtooltip Mind Bender
    /Cast Mind Bender
    /Use 13
    /Use 14

This macro will pop both your mind bender and you mana regen trinket at the same time.

As for as stats go. Haste will be more suitable after when we reach a gear lvl which provides 12,250 spirit or so for enough regen for us not to worry about mana as much. Haste gets more through put but at the high cost of much needed mana. Crit is not as bad as many people make it out to be for the disc priest, because we do get a liner increase in spirt shell's bubble size with crit. Meaning when spirit shell is up we do not need to land a crit to benifit from our crit rating. We are the only class which blizzard has made this so.

Spirit Shell's Calculation is as follows:
    Non-POH Shell = Average Heal * (1 + Mastery %) * (1 + Crit %) * (1 + (Crit % * 0.30))
    POH Shell = Average Heal * (1 + Mastery %) * (1 + Crit %) * 1.30

One more thing mastery only effects shielding. I am assuming you are going to be shielding as much as possible. If you do not shield a ton then you should not go pure mastery. If you are going to rely on shields for the majority of your healing then the above changes should suite you well.

I hope this helps. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymexx View Post
    Hello Mitharyn,

Yes reforging would help. As you probably already know mastery is master for the disc priest. We get a buff to our bubbles with any increase in mastery. your gear is good for the time being but this is what I would change.

1) Head-you have spirit (Good) and haste (least benifical stat for us). Re-socket to Mastery if possible.
    2) Neck-Reforge haste to mastery
    3) Back-Reforge haste to mastery
    4) Legs-Reforge crit to mastery
    5)Rings-Reforge crit to mastery and on the other haste to mastery

Your combat regen is good for MV normal, but you will need to pop the mana fein every time it comes up. Also, I would suggest for you to go with the mind bender talent as well because it is a more consistent source of mana. If you have not already please macro Vail of Ichorous Blood to your Mind Bender/Mana Fien.

In macros type

#showtooltip Mind Bender
    /Cast Mind Bender
    /Use 13
    /Use 14

This macro will pop both your mind bender and you mana regen trinket at the same time.

As for as stats go. Haste will be more suitable after when we reach a gear lvl which provides 12,250 spirit or so for enough regen for us not to worry about mana as much. Haste gets more through put but at the high cost of much needed mana. Crit is not as bad as many people make it out to be for the disc priest, because we do get a liner increase in spirt shell's bubble size with crit. Meaning when spirit shell is up we do not need to land a crit to benifit from our crit rating. We are the only class which blizzard has made this so.

Spirit Shell's Calculation is as follows:
    Non-POH Shell = Average Heal * (1 + Mastery %) * (1 + Crit %) * (1 + (Crit % * 0.30))
    POH Shell = Average Heal * (1 + Mastery %) * (1 + Crit %) * 1.30

One more thing mastery only effects shielding. I am assuming you are going to be shielding as much as possible. If you do not shield a ton then you should not go pure mastery. If you are going to rely on shields for the majority of your healing then the above changes should suite you well.

I hope this helps. Take care.
    Well when I look at logs it's usually
    1.) PoH
    2.) DA
    3.) Spirit shell

or some comnination of the three. I do use bubbles a lot between the DA tacked onto PoH and of course spirit shell on CD for most fights with consistent raid damage and of course I use it more wisely on fights like Elegon or Feng

You sound like a very wise priest. From what you have said a pure mastery build sounds perfect for you.

I am happy your group is getting back together and good luck in the up and coming raids.

_Nymexx

Quote Originally Posted by Nalaxen View Post
    Thanks, I already know the general priority but was speaking for a 'would reforging at the moment be useful' concering my 34% mastery.
    Well then you just answered your own question if you know the priority. Reforge for that priority.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymexx View Post

#showtooltip Mind Bender
    /Cast Mind Bender
    /Use 13
    /Use 14
    Don`t bind on use spirit trinket to our pet it get nothing from it. Better use:

/Use 13
    /Use 14
    /cast [target=mouseover] Power Word: Shield

so Rapture could fork over some more mana to you.

Deleted
    Macroing it to PWS means you'll more often than not miss the second rapture proc with the spirit buff up.
    That is of course, unless you delay the PWS, which often times you really don't want to do.

That said, mana management has gotten to the point for me where i don't need to be such a perfectionist anymore.
    Last edited by mmoc1b009d603f; 2012-12-14 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksiadz View Post
    Don`t bind on use spirit trinket to our pet it get nothing from it. Better use:

/Use 13
    /Use 14
    /cast [target=mouseover] Power Word: Shield

so Rapture could fork over some more mana to you.
    yes this is very true and effective! I just love how big a rupture proc is when pw:s is macroed with a use spirit trinket