View Poll Results: Define P2W: "P2W is defined as selling items/features for RL money which..."

Voters
88. This poll is closed
  • ...is fine, as I support P2W in games regardless of definition.

0 0%
  • ...are significantly better than the best available in-game items/features.

11 12.50%
  • ...are somewhat better than the best available in-game items/features.

11 12.50%
  • ...are equal to the best available in-game items/features.

21 23.86%
  • ...are nearly equal to the best available in-game items/features.

12 13.64%
  • ...are functionally usable and non-trivial.

4 4.55%
  • ...are functionally usable but near trivial nature.

2 2.27%
  • ...have any functional bearing in-game at all.

3 3.41%
  • ...can be sold further to gain in-game currency regardless of nature.

1 1.14%
  • ...are unattainable in-game even if only personally visually beneficial(BoP) for the buyer.

0 0%
  • ...give any benefits in-game, even if only visual ones.

3 3.41%
  • ...is a failed model, sub or GTFO.

9 10.23%
  • ...is a term commies invented.

1 1.14%
  • ...nevermind, this poll is stupid.

6 6.82%
  • ...hey this poll lacks an option for my definition(please elaborate).

4 4.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have to pay to be competitive, it is pay to win.

Though, I don't really care for games that sell bank space either.

Pay to win,
    Paying real world currency to buy an advantage that none-paying players can not have, which will enable you to win.

For example: using real money to buy a weapon that is statistically stronger than the strongest weapon that's acquirable without paying, would be pay to win.

Or as another example: in league of legends you can buy boosters to get Influence Points faster, it's an advantage over the IP acquisition rate of none-paying players, however IP is obtainable reasonably normally (through in game needs), so it's NOT pay to win.

If the items that you can buy with real money aren't just cosmetic, then it always somehow leads to pay to win in some form or another.

Some F2P games try to avoid being P2W with the ability to buy the same items with both real currency and in-game currency, but that's as good as pay to win since they are essentially selling time, and time is a major factor in an MMO. The real problem is that F2P doesn't have the right time/money ratio. It's either 5 bucks for an item now, or 1 month of playing for the same item. If you can buy an item that would take you that much time to farm in game with 5 bucks, then that's just pay to win. Unless they can figure out the perfect ratio of time to money it will always lead to pay to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    The following I would not define as P2W:

Selling IGC
    Selling Exp boosts
    Selling boosts to other IG currency (Honor/JP/VP, etc...)
    Selling BIS Gear obtainable ingame (it's getting close here, but I would not define RMAH as P2W)

I would define the following as P2W:

Selling Stat boosts unobtainable ingame.
    Selling BIS gear unobtainable ingame.
    Selling features that enhance your performance (like the extra skill bars in SWTOR)
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mashpotaters View Post
    If the items that you can buy with real money aren't just cosmetic, then it always somehow leads to pay to win in some form or another.

Some F2P games try to avoid being P2W with the ability to buy the same items with both real currency and in-game currency, but that's as good as pay to win since they are essentially selling time, and time is a major factor in an MMO. The real problem is that F2P doesn't have the right time/money ratio. It's either 5 bucks for an item now, or 1 month of playing for the same item. If you can buy an item that would take you that much time to farm in game with 5 bucks, then that's just pay to win. Unless they can figure out the perfect ratio of time to money it will always lead to pay to win.
    Selling "time" is not pay to win, except in the case of extremes such as your example of 5$ to buy an item that would otherwise take several hours of daily efforts for an entire month.
    Or in the case of a race of some form... then selling time would be pay to win xD

For example; a booster that increases in game currency gain by 50% would not be pay to win. It just saves you a bit of time, and unless you're in a race to see who can get the most currency fastest, the currency boost isn't giving you access to something advantageous that cannot otherwise be reasonably obtained without paying money.