Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Lost Odyssey is really mediocre IMO. It's like a fairly typical PS2-era JRPG that doesn't do anything remarkable. The graphics are nice though, it came out way before Final Fantasy XIII, so for a lot of people it was like the first "true" next-gen JRPG. I played Lost Odyssey to completion, not something I do for half the games I own, so I wouldn't say it's terrible...just, don't go out of your way to play it, or at least watch some video reviews first to see if it's for you. It's pretty slow paced and the art direction is just abysmal IMO.
    The original maker of final fantasy went and left Square Enix to make the company that made lost odyssey.

Sadly LO felt more like a final fantasy title then FFXIII did to me.
    Also I liked some parts of LO's story.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Lost Odyssey is really mediocre IMO. It's like a fairly typical PS2-era JRPG that doesn't do anything remarkable. The graphics are nice though, it came out way before Final Fantasy XIII, so for a lot of people it was like the first "true" next-gen JRPG. I played Lost Odyssey to completion, not something I do for half the games I own, so I wouldn't say it's terrible...just, don't go out of your way to play it, or at least watch some video reviews first to see if it's for you. It's pretty slow paced and the art direction is just abysmal IMO.
    I have no interest in playing that overrated piece of shit system anyways

Atm, I'm only playing Nintendo, PC, and older-generation games with little to no interest in non-Nintendo companies (with the obvious exception of whatever-the-fuck comes on Steam for PC!)

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 05:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    B/W was even easier than B/W2. HG/SS was probably harder than it. It's hard to imagine even novice players having to research pokemon to go through the story, and it's not something he's ever heard of. And probably not, considering Skelington studies the metagame for fun cause he's 1337 and to steamroll scroobs.

Well, it does boil down to personal taste, but expressing a big dislike for a generation over a few awful designs is really overdone here and makes you look like an even bigger nostalgia drone than you probably are. G1 designs are probably the least creative, regardless of how appealing they may be.
    *Shrug* I had issues with it, but no problems with the first four and the remakes. Might have been because my first playthrough was with Snivy and no research, which I quickly abandoned by the 3rd or so gym for Oshawott, and after some research, it got ridiculously easier.

Check the underlined part. I never said that over pokemon design, and you should really stop being so hung up over one observation that I personally have. I'll definitely admit to being a bit of a nostalgia fan (hell, SNES is still my favorite system because fuck graphics, they don't mean shit), but the overall game feel just felt a lot better in the first two generations. The lack of a story also greatly added to this game feel as the first two games didn't really have a story other than "to be the best like no one ever was", to quote the anime. The newer games (gens 3-5) all revolve greatly around the villains and a ridiculous storyline. Also, the controversy of animal fighting in Gen 5 was just so fucking stupid, like I couldn't even imagine. Why would you put real-life issues in a video game meant for CHILDREN???
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2012-12-14 at 10:05 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Wasn't the Wii outselling both the xbox and ps3 combined for the longest time as well?
    It only sold about 1.5 games per console or something though, which is really bad...

Sakaguchi has kind of lost his touch lately, as has Miyamoto and other famous Japanese game developers. At least, that's how I feel.
    I think many of us can agree on that. NSMB definitely doesn't feel new and is starting to feel more like Call of Duty with constant rehashing of the same crap.

On a side-note, Paper Mario is seeing TOO much change. Both Super and Sticker Star failed BECAUSE of the new designs and changes.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Sakaguchi has kind of lost his touch lately, as has Miyamoto and other famous Japanese game developers. At least, that's how I feel.

Lost Odyssey certainly has some cool ideas behind it. I like the idea that the main character is immortal and you dig up all this stuff from his past. It definitely does feel like a classic Final Fantasy game, but not nearly as well executed.

I feel like combat is too slow. It's so slow that it's painful to actually progress the game at times. Furthermore, IIRC you fought with a 5 person party. Man, the last big JRPG that did that was...Final Fantasy IV? Unless you count Suikoden and Suikoden II with its 6 person party, but those really were more cult hits. I just don't think 5 is a good number for a party in a JRPG game. It's too many commands to give out. IIRC there was some sort of auto-battle function, but I don't remember it working very well.

I'm not a big fan of LO's soundtrack either. The whole art direction in general is just boring to me. You can sum up Lost Odyssey with one color: brown. Everything in that game was brown. The front cover of the game is basically all brown. Brown's such a boring color. If they would have got to the water city faster, maybe I wouldn't feel that way.

I dunno. Just my two cents.
    I agree a lot about the color didn't really think about that LOL there was a lot that was brown. I only payed 15$ for it and though it was well worth it I wouldn't pay 60$ tho at most maybe 25-30$ only thing that was a major let down for me was it was 5dvd's LOL
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Sticker Star had a lot of potential. Did you know that IS essentially had a whole 'nother Paper Mario game ready to go for the 3DS quite some time ago? Miyamoto told them, "It's too much like The Thousand Year Door" and they had to scrap a lot of the work. Or so I've heard. I mean...wasn't TTYD a critical and commercial success? And it came out in, what, 2004? 2005? The fans would have loved a game like TTYD, especially after the big departure that was SPM.

I actually managed to force myself through Sticker Star. I wouldn't even call it an RPG. More like a mediocre adventure game. Combat's a complete and out of place nuisance considering the lack of incentive.
    I would have loved a rehash with a different storyline, more badges, and other shit. I really wasn't expecting much for Paper Mario, because both the first two were identical and both were amazing.

Sticker Star has so many flaws that I don't even know where to begin, let alone, if I should even bother listing them out. You played it so you obviously know.

I just beat World 4 and I bought it on day 2. I honestly can't play it for too long because it just makes me wish I was playing 64 or TYD.

Who is "IS"? Also, Miyamoto actually said that? Man, I want to wring his neck right now. "HURR, LET'S MAKE THE "NEW" SUPER MARIO BROS SERIES ALL ABOUT REHASH BUT COMPLETELY RUIN AN AWESOME RPG SERIES". I honestly can't understand either of those two design choices, but, whatever. I'm giving them one last chance for Paper Mario because they had two AMAZING games and two fairly poor games. I'll give them the BOTD and try the 5th in the series, whenever it will arrive, and hope to whoever I can that it will be basically TYD, but improved upon, and not an entirely new thing, for the third time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    *Shrug* I had issues with it, but no problems with the first four and the remakes. Might have been because my first playthrough was with Snivy and no research, which I quickly abandoned by the 3rd or so gym for Oshawott, and after some research, it got ridiculously easier.

Check the underlined part. I never said that over pokemon design, and you should really stop being so hung up over one observation that I personally have. I'll definitely admit to being a bit of a nostalgia fan (hell, SNES is still my favorite system because fuck graphics, they don't mean shit), but the overall game feel just felt a lot better in the first two generations. The lack of a story also greatly added to this game feel as the first two games didn't really have a story other than "to be the best like no one ever was", to quote the anime. The newer games (gens 3-5) all revolve greatly around the villains and a ridiculous storyline. Also, the controversy of animal fighting in Gen 5 was just so fucking stupid, like I couldn't even imagine. Why would you put real-life issues in a video game meant for CHILDREN???
    Well, the criticism of your observation is from the safe assumption that when people target those specific G5 pokemon they also say or strongly imply that G5 designs in general are absolute crap and that G1 is perfection. It happens in every thread on this forum where pokemon is mentioned. Though, have you played the original games recently? You might sing a different tune after seeing how poorly designed they are.
    It's not like the games are for 4 year olds, and even as kids a lot of people wonder why we're pitting animals against each other for no reason.

It's well worth $15. I bought it on release for $60, probably partially why I was disappointed. And yeah, the game had so many discs it had to put some of them in sleeves and then stuff them in the box lmao.
    I got my game used from gamestop and was scared that I wouldn't beat then know if all of it worked by the time my warranty was over LOL.

5disk game for xbox.........WOW lol

And if i remember right the only xbox game that dose not dashboard you when you open the tray due to having to switch disk's then again it mite only be like that when it tells you to put in a new disk.

I did love the whole there immortal part but i was like wtf i just died but yet im immortal LOL

IS = Intelligent Systems. They do the Paper Mario games and I believe most (all?) of the Fire Emblem games.

And yeah, Miyamoto tends to butt in and sometimes ruin games with his opinion. Because his opinion means a lot. Then again, he also has a history of giving us great games and ensuring Nintendo's contracted development studios do a good job. Either way, he's a bit obnoxious. He allegedly flipped a table at a meeting once. Yes. Flipped a table. Over a video game idea. He's going senile methinks.
    That's rather disappointing. If Sticker Star was even a COMPLETE CARBON FUCKING COPY of TYD or even 64, I would have been over the moon. Instead, we got this bullshit that's rather a shell of what would have been a fantastic game.

I also remember when all customization, level ups, and partners were scrapped. I was so excited when I first heard about it, but then after the changes, that feeling faded, and I wish I went with my gut and didn't buy it.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2012-12-14 at 10:28 AM.

Yeah. It's sad. Especially sad since they teased us with early screenshots showing traditional partners. We would have gotten a Chain-Chomp partner:

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespo..._screen010.jpg

I mean, yeah it's a plain ol' chain chomp. But you can thank Miyamoto for that too. Before they even started developing Paper Mario Sticker Star's original iteration, Miyamoto apparently told IS "no original characters." As in, nothing like Xnauts, the twilight town denizens, or other "non-Mario" races and characters.
    Oh god, that screenshot makes me think the game was going to be literally a copy + addition of the first two... I miss the star damage thing.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like the games are for 4 year olds, and even as kids a lot of people wonder why we're pitting animals against each other for no reason.
    Do YOU? I don't. Pokemon is popular because it brought forth a fantasy world with countless critters with semi supernatural powers. It's a hit with kids, and I'd say a BIGGER hit with the early generation players who have followed the series for so many years. And who CARES if every thread where pokemon is mentioned has a Generation debate and people pick favorites. I like mint chocolate chip ice cream, do you care, of course you don't. I prefer Gen 2 for pokemon, do you care, you shouldn't because a debate out of nostalgia will end with us agreeing to disagree. And what part of the design are you talking about being poor for the old gen games. If it's battle, then no, minus changes to how stats and some types were structured it's all the same. If it's art, then no, art is pretty much the same. If it's STORY, then STILL no, because the simplicity of the oldest RBGY/GS was awesome. You're aiming to be THE BEST, and that's IT, it's the simplest plot imaginable and that WORKS for the game I bought Black 1, got to where you meet N and was like. "No". I turned off the system, stuffed the cartridge in a drawer and haven't touched it since
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    Do YOU? I don't. Pokemon is popular because it brought forth a fantasy world with countless critters with semi supernatural powers. It's a hit with kids, and I'd say a BIGGER hit with the early generation players who have followed the series for so many years. And who CARES if every thread where pokemon is mentioned has a Generation debate and people pick favorites. I like mint chocolate chip ice cream, do you care, of course you don't. I prefer Gen 2 for pokemon, do you care, you shouldn't because a debate out of nostalgia will end with us agreeing to disagree. And what part of the design are you talking about being poor for the old gen games. If it's battle, then no, minus changes to how stats and some types were structured it's all the same. If it's art, then no, art is pretty much the same. If it's STORY, then STILL no, because the simplicity of the oldest RBGY/GS was awesome. You're aiming to be THE BEST, and that's IT, it's the simplest plot imaginable and that WORKS for the game I bought Black 1, got to where you meet N and was like. "No". I turned off the system, stuffed the cartridge in a drawer and haven't touched it since
    I'd probably say the story was one of the worst parts of the newer generations, especially in Gen 5, and the fact that Gens 1 and 2 DID have Team Rocket as the villains, but THEY WEREN'T THE MAIN PART OF THE STORY, and this is where Gens 3-5 dropped the ball with Team Magma/Aqua, Team Galaxy, and Team Plasma being the main part of the storyline and it being fucking stupid.

Come on guys, this is common sence. Japan plays different than us, its just facts. They dont like tradiotional gaming etc. Just look one time online at WIFI-pokemon batteles...all you ever face are insane asian players, who are mostly Japaneese.

So to Conclude Japan = different! :&
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    Because saying the first generation of pokemon is perfect and that all other ones are uncreative baby garbage is fairly stupid. Skelington isn't fond of the fourth generation pokemon himself. Yes, battle, with stats and types. If you think they're the same then you really haven't looked at anything. The difference between G1 and G5 in terms of battling is massive, unless you think the only part of pokemon battle is that it's turn based. Art is a lot better since the systems are far more advanced than gameboy. Story is better because it actually exists now. Was N too fabulous for you or something?
    I'd probably say the story was one of the worst parts of the newer generations, especially in Gen 5, and the fact that Gens 1 and 2 DID have Team Rocket as the villains, but THEY WEREN'T THE MAIN PART OF THE STORY, and this is where Gens 3-5 dropped the ball with Team Magma/Aqua, Team Galaxy, and Team Plasma being the main part of the storyline and it being fucking stupid.
    Except Team Rocket was the only story in R/B and the popped up everywhere to let you know.

Except Team Rocket was the only story in R/B and the popped up everywhere to let you know.
    Um... No?

They slowly introduced them, first appearing in Mt Moon and Cerulean City, though they didn't get serious until you arrived to Celadon and Saffron Cities.

They also WERE NOT the main storyline, unlike Gens 3-5. They were a complete subplot that simply got in the way of you becoming the best, so you took them out. Meanwhile, Team Aqua, Magma, Galaxy, and Plasma continue to be annoying and the main story. It's no longer about being the best, it's about taking out the bad guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um... No?

They slowly introduced them, first appearing in Mt Moon and Cerulean City, though they didn't get serious until you arrived to Celadon and Saffron Cities.

They also WERE NOT the main storyline, unlike Gens 3-5. They were a complete subplot that simply got in the way of you becoming the best, so you took them out. Meanwhile, Team Aqua, Magma, Galaxy, and Plasma continue to be annoying and the main story. It's no longer about being the best, it's about taking out the bad guys.
    There is no story in Red or Blue. Can you tell me what "story" was told. Some kid decides he wants to be the best. Ok. Great story. The only time there is any kind of story is when Team Rocket shows up. Everything else is just mindless meandering and random battles.

you're wearing nostalgia glasses

Um... No?

Um... Yes?

The first games had no story whatsoever. The only semblance of one was that Team Rocket was attacking Kanto and you had to stop them all over the place. That's the exact kind of nostalgia that makes you not understand. Whether you like it or not, there was more to all of the games than "i gotta b da best!"
    The only game where you don't beat the league is B/W. All the others the initial quest is to beat the league.

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i think it has less to do with the price and more of "wait i just bought this and i cant even play it until i get one of those expensive memory card O_o"

with the 3ds unless your real big on downloading games the little memory card it comes with is plenty and sd cards are cheap
    This... the PSP sells by the bucket load still because memory cards are cheap and well.. they are easy to "mod" shall we say

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think I owned in physical copy about 50 DS games at one point. It was a great device, I think the 3DS will continue the success. It's still early to tell whether or not the 3DS will be as good, but there are still more games coming out. Next year will see the release of Dragon Quest 7, a remake of the Gameboy classic Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland, Luigi's Mansion 2, Etrian Odyssey 4, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate and Fire Emblem Awakening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    There is no story in Red or Blue. Can you tell me what "story" was told. Some kid decides he wants to be the best. Ok. Great story. The only time there is any kind of story is when Team Rocket shows up. Everything else is just mindless meandering and random battles.

you're wearing nostalgia glasses
    Um... Yes?

The first games had no story whatsoever. The only semblance of one was that Team Rocket was attacking Kanto and you had to stop them all over the place. That's the exact kind of nostalgia that makes you not understand. Whether you like it or not, there was more to all of the games than "i gotta b da best!"
    The only game where you don't beat the league is B/W. All the others the initial quest is to beat the league.
    You both seem to forget that THAT'S THE FUCKING POINT. Pokemon doesn't NEED a retarded story to be good, and looking at sales alone, that's pretty fucking apparent (both the first gens selling ridiculously better than 3-5). Not just sales, but amongst fans, most who play Pokemon will agree unless they haven't played the old games, in which case they shouldn't be allowed to give an opinion if they won't even play the games.

You can't honestly tell me the storyline of Gen 5 is good when it's simply the controversy behind pokemon. How fucking bland and unoriginal can you get? "HEY LET'S MAKE A REAL LIFE ISSUE THE STORY OF A VIDEO GAME!" Wow. Really? Just fucking really?

Edit: I actually take part of that back. Making a real life issue is definitely original, but it's horribly bland, stupid, and didn't work.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2012-12-14 at 11:00 AM.