Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The 3ds has sold more then the ps3 has its entire life in japan

according to this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...sales-in-japan

the 3ds has sold more in japan then the ps3 has the entire time its been out.

so who still thinks that handhelds are dying and nintendo should become software only O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone who doesn't live in Japan.

I mean, the smaller tech becomes and the more available and stable wireless internet becomes, anything that needs to be plugged in to be usable is going to become obsolete eventually.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

IIRC Japan has never really been big on Consoles.

When the Vita outsells the PS3 then we can sing and dance about handhelds not dying.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post

When the Vita outsells the PS3 then we can sing and dance about handhelds not dying.
    i dont think the vita is going to outsell anything from this generation O-O
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post

Erm...Sony needs to do a big price cut and get some more devs interested in putting good games on it before it starts seeing big sales numbers. Sony's screwed the pooch with it and they're only digging their grave deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Erm...Sony needs to do a big price cut and get some more devs interested in putting good games on it before it starts seeing big sales numbers. Sony's screwed the pooch with it and they're only digging their grave deeper.
    i think it has less to do with the price and more of "wait i just bought this and i cant even play it until i get one of those expensive memory card O_o"

with the 3ds unless your real big on downloading games the little memory card it comes with is plenty and sd cards are cheap

Also the DS has just sold more than the PS2 making it the bestselling console of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Sounds like exactly how the PS3 started out.

$800 for a game system that only has 1-2 good games... The FUCK were they thinking?!

Quote Originally Posted by xervyn View Post
    Also the DS has just sold more than the PS2 making it the bestselling console of all time.
    That actually surprises me greatly. The DS library wasn't all that amazing. I could name a plethora of good GBA or even GB/GBC games, but only a handful of DS.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i think it has less to do with the price and more of "wait i just bought this and i cant even play it until i get one of those expensive memory card O_o"
    That's nonsense, the PSP wasn't much different in terms of pricing of the memory cards and that has been a huge success in Japan.

I was originally really looking forward to the Vita. But before release I cancelled my preorder simply because there were close to no decent games on it on top of the absolutely horrible battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I'm a hardcore gamer, I own dozens of consoles and portable systems. The Nintendo DS (and by extension, the 3DS since it is backwards compatible) competes with Playstation 2 for "best video game library of all time."
    Woah woah WOAH now. You can't include the 3DS with the DS as they are two different libraries. That'd be like saying "Wii is Gamecube too" or "First gen PS3s are PS1, PS2, and PS3".

Also, "best video game library"? The DS? I can't possibly fathom that idea. Name me the games I missed because I only have a handful of good games. Hell, I'd even say the GBA had a better library.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Also, "best video game library"? The DS? I can't possibly fathom that idea. Name me the games I missed because I only have a handful of good games.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.
    The World Ends With You.
    Mario games (traditional and most non-silly sports game spinoffs like Mario & Luigi).
    Final Fantasy games, Crystal Chronicles: Echos of Time especially comes to mind.
    Kirby Canvas Curse.
    Meteos.
    Metroid Prime: Hunters.
    Animal Crossing: Wild World.
    The Pokemon games.
    Mario Kart.

And really, these are just games I personally really enjoyed. Games like Rythem Heaven for example have been an enormous success as well. I wouldn't call the DS to have the best video game library of all times, but it's definitely huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.
    The World Ends With You.
    Mario games (traditional and most non-silly sports game spinoffs like Mario & Luigi).
    Final Fantasy games, Crystal Chronicles: Echos of Time especially comes to mind.
    Kirby Canvas Curse.
    Meteos.
    Metroid Prime: Hunters.
    Animal Crossing: Wild World.
    The Pokemon games.
    Mario Kart.

And really, these are just games I personally really enjoyed. Games like Rythem Heaven for example have been an enormous success as well. I wouldn't call the DS to have the best video game library of all times, but it's definitely huge.
    PMD, definitely
    Never heard of that.
    Besides M&L, I don't really recall a single good Mario game. NSMB was okay, but not "good".
    FFIV was unplayable on DS, FFIII was okay but I'd prefer to play the classic how it was intended (plus every time I start it up, I just stop an hour in), and I don't really remember how well the CC games were. FFT A2 was the only FF game I remember being fun.
    Meh. Kirby Super Star Ultra was way better, but granted, it was a remake with some addons. Canvas Curse wasn't amazing.
    Mete-what?
    Nyeh...
    Don't remember WW too well. Should replay that.
    I wouldn't call Gens 4 and 5 "good" by any means. They're okay, but by no means are they masterpieces like the first two.
    Not really a new game, but sure, it's fun.
    Rhythm Heaven was probably the best game on that list.

Oh I know the library is huge and has some gems, but to claim it as "the best library" is ridiculous. SNES, N64, and PS2 are definitely closer to that title.

You're right, I shouldn't include the 3DS. Though I do have high hopes for the system. I love the GBA's library as well, but the Nintendo DS blows it away. Let me get a list going for ya in case you missed some of these.
    After how awful Sticker Star was, which was my primary reason for buying the damn thing, I have lost just about all hopes for it, honestly

Final Fantasy III (full 3D remake)
    Final Fantasy IV (full 3D remake)

Final Fantasy Tactics A2
    Chrono Trigger (some extra content but otherwise a good port of a classic game)
    Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
    Devil Survivor
    Devil Survivor 2
    Etrian Odyssey
    Etrian Odyssey II
    Etrian Odyssey III
    Radiant Historia
    Kirby Super Star Ultra
    Kirby's Mass Attack
    Kirby's Canvas Circus
    Sonic Rush 2
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
    Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light
    Metroid Prime: Hunters
    Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
    Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

The World Ends With You
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
    Dragon Quest IV, V, VI remakes
    Dragon Quest IX
    Pokemon Platinum/Diamond/Pearl
    Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
    Pokemon Black/White
    Pokemon Black 2/White 2

What a phenomenal library, there's nothing that really competes with it as far as high quality games go, except for maybe the PS2. The GBA is great as well, but not nearly as good as the DS IMO.
    FFIV was unplayable; NSMB wasn't all that great and I'd love to know why people revere the NSMB series; The LoZ games on DS? Lol, no; Pokemon Gens 4 and 5? Also no.

I'll definitely admit there's some gems there, and a lot of games on your list I haven't even heard of and definitely plan to check out. I'm also surprised you didn't include Rhythm Heaven on that list. However, when calling into account how good a library is, I wouldn't by any means include remakes as they aren't officially part of the library.

Also for "the best library" of gaming, that's an AWFULLY SMALL LIST, especially after excluding the underlined ones (underlined = remakes/not that great)

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Virtua, finally someone who appeciates good games. I think you could very well include the entire library of past games when counting good games on a certain console, the counter-argument "the Wii would be a Gamecube too" makes no sense since it can be used like one, so essentially IS a GC in addition to everything else. So the 3DS is a DS too (obviously). Now here comes the funny part: The PS3 is not a PS 2 too, nor is the xBox360 an xBox too or the Vita a PSP too (at least not entirely). Nintendo is the only company to have full backwards compatibility to their last console in the newer generations: You could play all GB games on GBA, all GBA games on DS, and all DS games on 3DS.
    Nintendo DS has an awesome library of games, but Nintendo tends to get far more shovelware, since they tend to use simpler hardware but still reach a huge audience and are thus easier and cheaper to develop for.

N64? Really? I mean...I guess there are a few gems but uh... What outside of Starfox, Mario 64, Paper Mario, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, and the two Zelda titles would you consider good on the N64? I consider myself a game collector of sorts, I have nearly a thousand games now. My N64 library is one of the smallest. Not quite Neogeo Pocket Color small, but pretty small. I just can't find many games that are critically acclaimed or considered "classic" except for the ones I listed above.
    Well the quality I've found in N64 vs DS make it better in my eyes.

In that list, you also forgot:
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
    Perfect Dark
    Goldeneye (provided you played it when N64 was the current gen; it's blech nowadays)
    Mortal Kombat Trilogy, which I still consider to be the best MK game in the library (seriously, the amount of characters and moves is crazy)
    Pokemon Stadium 1&2 and it's crazy awesome additions to the portable series (such as playing on the TV and in crazy fast speeds)
    Pokemon Snap
    Yoshi's Story
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Mario Party 1-3 (all of which are waaaaay better than 4-9)
    DK64
    Mario Kart 64
    Super Smash Bros
    Diddy Kong Racing (another game that was good at the time that today is pretty bad)
    Mischief Makers
    Harvest Moon 64
    *Quest 64 (This is a personal favorite that I had as a kid. I know it's pretty bleh but in the mind of a kid, it was really fun)
    Jet Force Gemini
    Gauntlet Legends
    Mega Man 64 (N64 port of Mega Man Legends 1)

And these were just games I had and enjoyed. There's a ton more I didn't even mention.

Edit:

Starfox 64
    Super Mario 64
    Paper Mario (I still gasm about this one and TYD, but FUCK Super and Sticker Star!!!!! THEY'RE AWFUL)
    Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
    LoZ: OoT
    LoZ: MM

Added in because SOME PEOPLE don't like to read what others quote
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2012-12-14 at 09:31 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xervyn View Post
    Seriously!? I mean I'm all for portable gaming, I do have a DS and it's got a lot of nice games to it, but still surprising and actually impressive if true. But I do still have a soft spot for the ps2 gen, back when Sony was strong and making video games that felt so NEW compared to the current age of "been there done that with guns/swords/chainsaws/zombies/etc". Still always hopeful that the next gen of video games turn out impressive but these days it's just been a tough market, the new era is all about online micro transaction games that can receive big media hype (damn you league of legends and your outrageous popularity).

All the same, props to nintendo on their handhelds, I may pick up the Wii U down the line when it's got more titles to it.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

I left out a lot of games that I considered good, but others did not. You may not like the Final Fantasy IV remake, and that's totally cool. I own 5 different versions of Final Fantasy IV, and it's my favorite version. A lot of people really like Pokemon Gen 4/5 and many of the other games you said were garbage. Not saying that the critics or the masses are correct, but what else do you have to go off of, y'know? Some people consider Ocarina of Time to be garbage, while the vast majority agree it's one of the best games ever made. Just using that as an example of what I'm trying to say here. ;P
    I'm shocked that anyone could consider OoT as garbage. While I don't think it deserves the amount of adoration it gets, similar to FFVII (as I feel LoZ: MM and other FF titles, like X deserve more love), I don't think anyone can really say it's a bad game.

I never called Gens 4 and 5 of Pokemon garbage, I said "lol no". Comparing it to the first two (or even three) gens, it doesn't compare unless you didn't play the first generations first. I don't think it's a bad game, but it's just nowhere close to the first ones.

I actually didn't play FFIV DS; my friend came over with it, showed me the battles and how utterly awful the lag was, and we couldn't help but laugh. FFIV is an amazing game, don't get me wrong (not to mention I had a childhood 'gasm when I found out the boss theme was Culex from SMRPG on the SNES), but the DS version looked quite unplayable because of the lag.

I'm just saying that the DS library is by no means the best library. It's definitely not a BAD library (like the Xbox 360 line up... [That's EXCLUDING multi-platform games, obviously]), but it's definitely not the best.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 04:20 AM ----------

See and quite a few of those I would consider to be decisively mediocre. Especially titles like Gauntlet Legends, Yoshi's Story and Mega Man 64 (I'm really surprised you like that game, I didn't think anyone did, and it was a critical failure compared to its PSX counterpart).

Though you're right, I did forget a few. Still a very, very tiny library IMO.
    If MML was as bad as you say, they wouldn't have bothered to make a sequel and nearly make a third in the series (that was for the 3DS, canceled, and now fans are trying to get it revived since the only reason for cancellation was "not enough fan support")

While nowadays, yeah, Yoshi's Story and GL isn't nearly as good as they used to be, but you need to take into account the time they were made. If I went back and played GL now, I'd be like "oh god, fuck that noise. Where's the gamecube version?". Goldeneye has the same effect, and Quest 64, playing it as an adult, would probably ruin the fun I had.

Again, I think the DS library is pretty good, but I'd definitely take N64, PS2, and especially SNES over it (which personally, I think SNES has the best library, but that's just me and a bunch of other 90s kids )
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2012-12-14 at 09:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This deserved a thread? A cheap handheld, in a country obsessed with the likes, outsells a
    Console which was rather expensive and still outweighs the cost of a 3ds? Congratulations Nintendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    I never called Gens 4 and 5 of Pokemon garbage, I said "lol no". Comparing it to the first two (or even three) gens, it doesn't compare unless you didn't play the first generations first. I don't think it's a bad game, but it's just nowhere close to the first ones.
    What? The first games are imbalanced, outdated garbage that only people who live their life's enjoyment out of nostalgia still revere. If you think the B/W games aren't as good as the R/B/Y ones then you should probably actually play them first. And don't say "but, oh, first gen pokemon were so much more creative!" because that's simply idiotic.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-12-14 at 09:26 AM.