Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveaux View Post
    Everyone who knows that japan is only a very small part of the videogame branch.
    Sales in japan almost don't matter. Xbox 360 did shit in Japan, even worse than ps3. Yet it outsold the ps3 massively worldwide.
    I wouldn't exactly say "very small" but, yeah, its a "global" market and its global sales that matter. If the investors only cared about sales in Japan, then start the ticker tape parade. However, since they don't...

As usual with nintendo people buy their consoles then find their are no good games on them. The only thing ive played on my DS in the last few years in pokemon, i bought about 3 or 4 games for the wii. Will never buy a nintendo console again.

The reason this is true is the same reason the PSP also does so well in Japan. The train/bus systems are used A LOT by students, employees, etc. So they're on the go a lot. Therefore, handheld "consoles" on the easiest way to game and pass time on their commutes.

Do you know how many good games there are for the PSP/DS that aren't released in America?

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 08:59 AM ----------

Everyone who knows that japan is only a very small part of the videogame branch.
    Sales in japan almost don't matter. Xbox 360 did shit in Japan, even worse than ps3. Yet it outsold the ps3 massively worldwide.
    Your wrongness is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Overall, the Wii would outsell its competitors worldwide. However, Wii sales considerably fell in 2012. To this day, the PS3 and xbox 360 have been catching up. Nevertheless, the Wii has still outsold its rivals by about 30 million units.

Wii – 97.18 million as of 30 September 2012[8]
    PlayStation 3 – 70.2 million as of 30 September 2012[53][54]
    Xbox 360 – 70.0 million as of 30 September 2012[55]

Japan sales figures

Wii – 11,534,590 as of 1 April 2011[56]
    PlayStation 3 – 6,341,950 as of 1 April 2011[56]
    Xbox 360 – 1,448,665 as of 1 April 2011[56]
    The PS3 outsold the 360 everywhere except the US.
    Last edited by xsublymonalx; 2012-12-14 at 03:05 PM.
    I am American mentally, with Japanese tendencies.

Dreadlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    After how awful Sticker Star was, which was my primary reason for buying the damn thing, I have lost just about all hopes for it, honestly

FFIV was unplayable; NSMB wasn't all that great and I'd love to know why people revere the NSMB series; The LoZ games on DS? Lol, no; Pokemon Gens 4 and 5? Also no.

I'll definitely admit there's some gems there, and a lot of games on your list I haven't even heard of and definitely plan to check out. I'm also surprised you didn't include Rhythm Heaven on that list. However, when calling into account how good a library is, I wouldn't by any means include remakes as they aren't officially part of the library.

Also for "the best library" of gaming, that's an AWFULLY SMALL LIST, especially after excluding the underlined ones (underlined = remakes/not that great)
    For those listed items you underlined and choose to exclude, that is your own personal opinion. The general public opinion, however, would very much disagree with you on the matter, which is why they are added to lists of most well received DS games.

Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    As usual with nintendo people buy their consoles then find their are no good games on them. The only thing ive played on my DS in the last few years in pokemon, i bought about 3 or 4 games for the wii. Will never buy a nintendo console again.
    Meanwhile, I have over 30 games for my 3DS. I have even beaten most of them. There are actually so many awesome titles out for the system in the last few months that I have no prayer of being able to get to them all.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 03:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    so who still thinks that handhelds are dying and nintendo should become software only O-O
    People who have been saying it for the last 15 years, shaking their fists in anger that their predictions about Nintendos death have not only not come true, but are generally labelled as trolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

the vita is a piece of crap and japan has always been more nintendo than sony so are you really suprised about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    the vita is a piece of crap and japan has always been more nintendo than sony so are you really suprised about that?
    The Vita actually isn't bad, and will probably eventually get some more sales. The reason it's doing so bad right now is because it doesn't really have any games for it.

Once it gets some big titles, the sales will go up.

Not more than Nintendo, obviously, but it'll go up.
    I am American mentally, with Japanese tendencies.

PS3 is now outselling the Xbox 360 everywhere because it's still one of the better Blu-Ray player options out there, especially for kids. Despite the fact it's only now outselling the Xbox 360, the loss of profit has been catastrophic for Sony. They literally have to sell it at a $150~ loss, because it wouldn't sell at all otherwise.

Everyone I've talked to who has one loves it. I've chatted with a bunch of gaming journalists as well who think it's a great handheld system too. The biggest thing is the lack of good games. The system has amazing potential for some spectacular games, it's just held back by the fact that nobody has purchased it and Sony refused to price-drop it to generate more sales, which will generate more interest for developers to make games for it. The obscenely expensive proprietary storage system doesn't help either -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    PS3 is now outselling the Xbox 360 everywhere because it's still one of the better Blu-Ray player options out there, especially for kids. Despite the fact it's only now outselling the Xbox 360, the loss of profit has been catastrophic for Sony. They literally have to sell it at a $150~ loss, because it wouldn't sell at all otherwise.
    Last I remember checking, NPD data (they track retail sales and release monthly reports of hardware/software sales) was showing that Xbox was continuing to outsell PS3 in the West. I think it outsold PS3 during Black Friday too if I'm remembering both companies sales announcements correctly.

The DS has one of the best game libraries ever, in my opinion. If you only played Pokemon, you're missing out on a lot. The Wii's is smaller, but most of its first party games are arguably very good.

No lol. No no no no no no no no no! The Xbox 360 has barely outsold the PS3 internationally, and the Xbox 360 has been out for over a year longer than the PS3.

http://www.vgchartz.com/

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 01:15 PM ----------

"As usual with Nintendo people buy their consoles then find their are no good games on them." There is so much wrong with this quote, that I am laughing my ass off. Like, literally that is the funniest thing I've read in a video game debate in ages.

Look. I like the Xbox 360 and PS3. I love my PC for gaming. I am not a big fan of the Nintendo Wii. But to say that Nintendo consoles have no good games on them is absolutely ridiculous. If you're going to knock a Nintendo console for anything, knock it for relying on gimicks or having outdated hardware. The game libraries are phenomenal, first party Nintendo games such as Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby and Starfox are way more popular and iconic than any of Microsoft and Sony's offerings. And it's probably going to be that way for a while. Most people don't even know who the Master Chief is, but everyone knows who Mario is. If you asked a random person on the street, "Who's the most badass...Mario, the Master Chief, or Kratos?" They'd likely tell you, "Well I don't recognize any of those but Mario, so Mario." You'd have to explain to them that Master Chief is the "Halo dude" and even then they'd probably still have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Nintendo characters and games are iconic, they're embedded into the culture of many countries at this point. This is because the games they star in are fun to play, have a good reputation, and have been around for a long time. And I don't think anything's going to change that for many years, not with how successful Nintendo is.

Just because you apparently have lived in a cave for a few years, doesn't mean that the DS suddenly stopped providing a great library of games. Do yourself a favor, and do some research. I can guarantee you, there are dozens upon dozens of games on the DS that are considered damn good games lol.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 01:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Meanwhile, I have over 30 games for my 3DS. I have even beaten most of them. There are actually so many awesome titles out for the system in the last few months that I have no prayer of being able to get to them all.[COLOR="red"]
    Dude tell me about it. I can't fuckin' keep up anymore lol. I have multiple unopened, sealed DS/3DS games that I just haven't had time to start. I also have a bunch of games that I've opened and tried out, but haven't had time to actually dive into them.

Okay guys, there needs to be an understanding here from an objective point of view.

One of the reasons that the DS/3DS is popular in japan, and also here in the US with those who like them (its not only kids guys... there is a reason they still make money selling RPGs on the 3ds)

Japan has, from my understanding a more on the move lifestyle, lots of times in trains and such, and they have smaller housing accommodations (makes console gaming harder)

Elsewhere the outlook on the DS/3DS is the amount of games/amount of RPGs.

Why? Why would one choose the 3DS/DS for rpgs vs the ps3/xbox 360.

The answer. HD gaming is killing the RPG, atm it is too expensive to make a nearly 100 hour game, leading the way in graphics, and pay voice actors in the such. FF XIII tried, lol Hall ways, linear as hell.

There are exceptions, games like Tales of, are still respected and made, but they aren't graphical block busters.

Btw, im referring to JRPG vs WRPG (I personally do not handle WRPGs well, put me in a game like say skyrim and I go wut?)

JRPGs are a lil different, more linear, vs open world, but More story heavy.

These costs just can't be undertook on the PS3/Xbox 360, for more cost in making a 60-70 main story + side quests, they could have made a game like say call of duty 10 times, and made wayyy more cash.

So they go to the 3ds/ds/psp (not including vita since they aren't doing well with rpgs, and they are still RPG gaming) systems like these have the nostalgia pull (all the nintendo remakes/first party games) so they have a lot of the JRPG base in one place. Then they can make the non HD/Cell Shaded however you like, for a much lower production cost and continue to make money.

This is why, I personally go to the 3DS/DS for JRPGs because its got a TON of them, I still find new RPG's I had never heard of for the DS. It has a MASSIVE library, particularly RPGs, if you are having a problem finding games, keep looking because they are everywhere.

This isn't an arguement about DS vs ps1 or DS vs N64 I don't even know how this thread got there. The current status of gaming systems has brought us to the point where JRPGs are too expensive to make on consoles, and they go handhelds (which will sell better in Japan regardless due to the on the go style) This is DS/3DS VERSUS the CURRENT GENERATION. Which has.... Tales of Vesperia, Xenoblade Chronicles, Last Story, Tales of Graces F, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey as the titles I can think of.

Of which, 2 are Wii, 3 are drawn/cell shaded, and 1 is an actually graphically heavy game. See where the problem lies with games of this variety? Oh the Abomination that is FF XIII.... Beatiful HallWays... SquareEnix... for those who haven't played its an RPG without towns and you spend the entire game walking down hallways, or linear paths.

If I were to type a 3DS/DS RPG list.... Id be here all day. And still get it wrong.

My Explanation.
    Last edited by Dupree; 2012-12-14 at 08:40 PM.

The vita is a solid piece of hardware, considerably better than the 3ds.

Sony failed to support it and made just terrible design choices to protect their own skin.

Too pricey, memory card required (sold separately :3) battery isn't removable. Little to no good games. The only games really worth a damn are ports.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    The vita is a solid piece of hardware, considerably better than the 3ds.

Sony failed to support it and made just terrible design choices to protect their own skin.

Too pricey, memory card required (sold separately :3) battery isn't removable. Little to no good games. The only games really worth a damn are ports.
    This pretty much sums up Sony's problem in general the past decade - they actively place themselves outside of the average gamer's price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Sarcasm aside, I'd highly prefer no plot to a retarded one.

Case in point: Go look at Paper Mario: Sticker Star (or rather don't, because it's a horrible game littered with flaws). I'll save you the trouble and just tell you it involves a "sticker comet" crashing and "royal stickers" getting lost. Yeah, that really makes you feel involved or even caring about the story.

Do you honestly think the story of Gen 5 helps the game in any way? It really, really, doesn't.
    in my opinion the story in gen 5 helps ALOT and its pretty much the only story in pokemon thats any good and has fleshed out characters. also almost all of the gneration 5 pokemon are reimaginations or reinterpretations of gen 1 pokemon trubbish is grimer, genesect is mewtwo, frillish is tentacool, woobat is zubat, the two karate pokemon are the hitmons, the construction worker pokemon is the machop line, crustle is krabby.

the creator even said so in an interview back around the release of b/w since it was the first game to be based off america and not japan they wanted it to feel kind of like a reboot.

as for the story N and ghetsis are by far one of the best most fleshed out characters in pokemon and colress i thought was a pretty good addition as well.

ghetsis feels like a proper villain its the first time since gen 1 where the villain was actually a bad guy and not some insane lunatic trying to "fix" the world in some way and N for pokemon standards is just amazing the fact that he could talk to pokemon means they couldve dialed up the cheesy ness factor as high as they wanted but they actually made him a more serious character.

in my opinion story wise the gens go like this

b/w, b/w2, hgss, emerald, firered leafgreen, platinum.

as for pokemon designs id go probably

gen 2 gen 3 gen 5 gen 1 gen 4.

the only bad generation to me was 4 since it really was just awful except for a handful of pokemon and the story felt a bit like a rehash of emeralds story except on a bigger scale
    Last edited by Immitis; 2012-12-14 at 10:41 PM.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

you will be missed.

havent touched my 3ds in a while.. monster hunter and luigi's mansion will change that.
    Last edited by Insanoflex; 2012-12-14 at 11:01 PM.
    Dictated but not read.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    you will be missed.

havent touched my 3ds in a while.. monster hunter and luigi's mansion will change that.
    ive been playing adventure time hey ice king whyd you steal our garbage.

it plays alot like zelda 2.

its kinda like a zelda game with crazy items and characters from adventure time O-O totes my game of the year
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

ghetsis feels like a proper villain its the first time since gen 1 where the villain was actually a bad guy and not some insane lunatic trying to "fix" the world in some way and N for pokemon standards is just amazing the fact that he could talk to pokemon means they couldve dialed up the cheesy ness factor as high as they wanted but they actually made him a more serious character.
    The only big difference between Ghetsis and the other villains is that he didn't try to remake the world somehow. He lacked motivation, and was just about the most stereotypical villain ever ("I want to control the world because I'm evil! Mwahaha!").

I never really cared for N either.
    Last edited by Duruka; 2012-12-14 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    The only big difference between Ghetsis and the other villains is that he didn't try to remake the world somehow. He lacked motivation, and was just about the most stereotypical villain ever ("I want to control the world because I'm evil! Mwahaha!).

i never really cared for N either.
    People overplay the story in the newer games. It was barely any different...

Well, the vita does have games. And I love the Vita, but handhelds need to stop getting spin-offs and get the same games consoles/pcs have. Maybe in the near future, or with the next wave of handhelds they could start doing that. I also notice they're in love with adding touch-screen features to their games and force us to use them, those should always be optional. They are great to use in menus as it's basically like a mouse pointer, but in game it's useless and can get in your way as well as slow down combat. I also love being a plus member. I get Uncharted, Gravity Rush, WipEout 2048, Jet Set Radio, Mutant Blob, and Final Fantasy Tactics for free, and they seem to keep adding more. Granted, you need a memory card that is way overpriced, it's still pretty neat. I personally just can't stand the DS and two screens, nor would I own a PS3. I'm weird like this.