Assembling new computer - Won't power on

Working on my first build after getting finally taking the dive and buying up parts with Black Friday deals, but I've run in to a bit of a snag.

I've got everything together, and I've triple-checked all of the connections now, but I can't get it to power on.

I've got it plugged in, the power switch is flipped to on, but when I press the power button on the front of the tower, it won't power up.

The only thing I've noticed is that with the power turned on, pressing the button on the front of the tower causes the fan blades to spin, barely; maybe an sixteenth of the way around before coming to a stop again. With the power switched off, nothing moves at all.

Just wondering if this might be a symptom of a malfunctioning power supply? That's my best guess at this point, just checking to see if there might be something else I'm overlooking.

Are you sure that the power buttons etc are properly connected to your motherboard in the right order?

You can test the PSU by jumping the green wire to a black wire with a paper clip or something like that. This will make the PSU turn on and the fan start spinning. If you plug a CD-Rom drive into it as well you can further see if its working. If the PSU works as far as you can tell, re-check all your connections and wires. Just be sure the power supply is disconnected from everything else when you do this.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Helieos View Post

You can test the PSU by jumping the green wire to a black wire with a paper clip or something like that. This will make the PSU turn on and the fan start spinning. If you plug a CD-Rom drive into it as well you can further see if its working. If the PSU works as far as you can tell, re-check all your connections and wires. Just be sure the power supply is disconnected from everything else when you do this.
    Step by step video guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

Did you install your motherboard standoffs correctly? That's a common first mistake.

Tried the paper clip test, and it worked. Thanks for the diagram and video.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Cronus View Post
    Did you install your motherboard standoffs correctly? That's a common first mistake.
    Had to google what those were, but yeah, I had those in place. Thanks for checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Are you sure that the power buttons etc are properly connected to your motherboard in the right order?
    Went back and double-checked these. My motherboard came with two 'guides' for the JFP1 & JFP2 panels - a little plastic connector that had the different connections labeled on the sides - and I'd had them wired through that. I'd double-checked, and I thought I had them all in correctly, but there must have been something wrong with the connection there. I removed the guide and connected them straight to the motherboard, and it started right up after that.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Are you sure you are powering your CPU? 4pin or 8pin usually to the left top side of the cpu frankly most people forget that cable and think they have plagued in everything ;D.

Have you connected the CPU fan also to the 3pin usually to the top right side of the motherboard above the RAM slots?

If the PSU is working but it doesnt turn on, you are either not powering the CPU or the motherboard is faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt1 View Post
    Tried the paper clip test, and it worked. Thanks for the diagram and video.

Had to google what those were, but yeah, I had those in place. Thanks for checking.

Went back and double-checked these. My motherboard came with two 'guides' for the JFP1 & JFP2 panels - a little plastic connector that had the different connections labeled on the sides - and I'd had them wired through that. I'd double-checked, and I thought I had them all in correctly, but there must have been something wrong with the connection there. I removed the guide and connected them straight to the motherboard, and it started right up after that.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
    Seems like I found it? :P Sometimes at school I didn't know exactly the order of those shitty connectors so I just slided a screwdriver over all of them at once and the pc was starting :P

There has to be a better solution than how the front-panel/LED/power connectors are right now. Bloody annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    There has to be a better solution than how the front-panel/LED/power connectors are right now. Bloody annoying.
    The plastic block was actually fine for me but some people are still connecting them wrong. Flip it 180°.. For Asus in the top you should have 2 pins not connected to anything which is a speaker option.

Alright, well, I thought I had it worked out, but now it looks like I've got another issue. I thought I'd had it solved last night just by having it turn on, and it was too late for me to keep working on it, so I just flipped it back off and figured I'd come back tonight and finish the setup.

Now, when I have it turned on, it powers right up when I hit the power button on the front of the tower. The problem is, it only stays on for ~4-5 seconds, and then turns off. It stays off for a few seconds, and powers back on. This process just repeats over and over, never staying on/off for more than a few seconds.

I've checked the front-panel connectors again, and I'm certain they're in there correctly.

Alright, well, I thought I had it worked out, but now it looks like I've got another issue. I thought I'd had it solved last night just by having it turn on, and it was too late for me to keep working on it, so I just flipped it back off and figured I'd come back tonight and finish the setup.

Now, when I have it turned on, it powers right up when I hit the power button on the front of the tower. The problem is, it only stays on for ~4-5 seconds, and then turns off. It stays off for a few seconds, and powers back on. This process just repeats over and over, never staying on/off for more than a few seconds.

I've checked the front-panel connectors again, and I'm certain they're in there correctly.
    Check if the battery is mounted properly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao866I9XpTo

Sounds like a ram problem, could be it's not fitted properly. Which motherboard do you have?

10+ Year Old Account

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/22...mputer-turning
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

See if you can get a power supply tester and test all the connectors, reseat the CPU, reseat the RAM, check the battery. Basically rebuild the computer from the ground up as there are many things to cause this to happen.

This problem could be many things, but my guess is going to be the motherboard. I had this exact thing happen a few months ago after checking and double checking everything the motherboard was the last thing to check and after replacing it everything went fine.

Is your CPU fan properly connected/fastened? Do you have your 8-pin CPU cable from the psu plugged into your motherboard? CPU fan plugged into MB?

A list of what parts you are using will help immensly in helping you solve this issue.