Thread: Droid as a race

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Droid as a race

They have a ton of humanoid droid models in game. They could use one voice actor because they don't need male/female.
    Actually, they could use the current voice actors, just add a post production effect to the voice to make it sound roboty.
    It could use normal armor, it just wouldn't show except to change your paint job based of the items color.

Why can't they add a droid race, like 6 weeks from now?
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-12-14 at 02:17 AM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Because droids are slaves of programming and there has been no change to it up til the final episodes.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Because droids are slaves of programming and there has been no change to it up til the final episodes.
    Hk-47? The bounty hunter droid from the original trilogy? Those two could be operative and bounty hunter right there.

Also, programming?
    Really?

Don't make me drag determinism into this thread.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-12-14 at 03:03 AM.

That's a really good idea!

Like you said the voice could be a heavily synthed/altered mix of voice already recorded to the game.

they may need a little work to get character customization right though. I doubt people would be too happy if they could only choose through a couple of models and change the color pallet.

I dunno how romance would work for them BUT it could be a way to hold over until they enable/make same sex relationships because the droid characters could possibly romance either sex.

MMO companies like to bugger out of promises and this is one way they could make a crappy work around.

Can you imagine Princess Leia making out with a droid?

I don't know about you, but I totally can. DO IT BIOWARE!

that was one of my wishes since beta, among other reasons because I think it wouldnt be too hard to implement. but given the extreme laziness of bioware, this will never happen. not even as a 3000 cartel coin unlock.

Deleted
    I like the sound of that....as you have said the BH and Imp Agent are nailed on for it. I think Rep Trooper would be a viable option as well, smuggler is stretching it a little but SW, SI, JK and JC are a bridge too far.....hmmmm force sensitive droids?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Hk-47? The bounty hunter droid from the original trilogy? Those two could be operative and bounty hunter right there.

Also, programming?
    Really?

I am only basing them on the SW books I've read and whenever there was droid PoV taken they were very limited to their programming, even when they could be perceived having lots of freedoms
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Can you imagine Princess Leia making out with a droid?

I don't know about you, but I totally can. DO IT BIOWARE!
    The droid would need some bioware hardware. Get it? Bio-ware hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I am only basing them on the SW books I've read and whenever there was droid PoV taken they were very limited to their programming, even when they could be perceived having lots of freedoms
    So biological entities lack the awareness of the limitations of freedom. That's no surprise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd change my Imperial Agent Sniper into a wannabe HK series droid for alot of money. Alot.

The bounty hunter droid from the original trilogy?
    IG-88 for those keeping score, and for future reference in this thread.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can't believe no one has brought up General Griveous yet...probably most badass representation of the topic at hand. Sith Droid ftw.

I would go nuts with that character.

I think the problem is they took "cyborg", which could have been amazing, and made it Human Reskin 03

*points on Cyborg* DEal with it. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    *points on Cyborg* DEal with it. ^_^
    Cyborgs aren't droids.
    Deal with that.

cyborg being an own race is a joke really, cyborgish implants are very common in the star wars universe, they should have simply made the implants a character customization option for all races.
    but then again, even me, who thinks the launched product was good, clearly sees that there was never much effort put in the playable races development.

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    cyborg being an own race is a joke really, cyborgish implants are very common in the star wars universe, they should have simply made the implants a character customization option for all races.
    Seriously.
    So, what? Sith can't get a wireless head set for their cell phone? That's total crap.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously.
    So, what? Sith can't get a wireless head set for their cell phone? That's total crap.
    Contained laser pulsars that cut through any material but their own beams, no blutooth technology.

/facepalm

In Soviet Star Wars, technology discovers you.

While the programming of many Droids in the SW universe is limited/restricted true artificial intelligence exists. With the agent companion Scorpio we even have an example of such a droid ingame (Not sure if M1-4X can be considered sentient, too). Biggest problem I see with a droid "race" would be the fact that droids are considered property almost anywhere in the SW galaxy regardless of sentience.

So explaining why all these NPCs treat the player more or less like a sentient being could be problematic.

Also, programming?
    Really?

IG-88 is the droid you're thinking of. It's an interesting read on that character should you have time to look it up.

I think droids would be a great addition for people to play. Programming could have a small factor in the character concept but with so much AI, it could be easily explained away through storytelling.