Thread: Surv in 1v1

  1. #1

    Surv in 1v1

    Not looking for an arena/synergy spec or stuff like that, but a build strictly for 1v1 and wpvp. I understand MM is epic fail for that purpose and BM...well I don't like BM, I don't like how your damage is utter crap until you chain cds and nuke something.

    I read some forum posts saying surv does very well for 1v1 and only has problems with healers, which aren't killable 1v1-wise.

    Is it true or is it just some guy's fantasy ?

  2. #2
    survival has no burst... you cannot kill someone with survival before someone kills you... unless they are totally retarded.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis003 View Post
    survival has no burst... you cannot kill someone with survival before someone kills you... unless they are totally retarded.
    You just insulted a lot of ppl cause I do my dailies in SV!

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

  4. #4
    Marks is a strong pvp spec.

    Aimshot hits hard, chimera shot same deal. Instead of relying on one kill command every 6 seconds, you have chimera shot and aimshots to fill the void. Currently in open world pvp/doing dailies I am running BM because taking on the rares, having a pet who can take a beating, and dish it out is easymode.

    But when I go hunting for players, I go marks. More burst, more reliable damage output.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 12:36 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    You just insulted a lot of ppl cause I do my dailies in SV!
    Sure do dailies in surv that's fine, he's talking about more pvp situations like bg's/rbg's/arena.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewmix View Post
    Marks is a strong pvp spec.

    Aimshot hits hard, chimera shot same deal. Instead of relying on one kill command every 6 seconds, you have chimera shot and aimshots to fill the void. Currently in open world pvp/doing dailies I am running BM because taking on the rares, having a pet who can take a beating, and dish it out is easymode.

    But when I go hunting for players, I go marks. More burst, more reliable damage output.

    ---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 12:36 AM ----------



    Sure do dailies in surv that's fine, he's talking about more pvp situations like bg's/rbg's/arena.
    I'm on a pvp server... How isn't that a pvp situation?

    And also you don't know what they meant. This thread is a SV 1v1 thread, not a bg/rbg/arena thread.


    And I don't think you've played mm saying that aimed shot hits for a lot and chimera shot is on a 9 second CD... How exactly will those fill the void when KC is only on a 6 second CD? Aimed shot takes forever to cast. In my pvp gear right now I have 1425 haste. Even with rapid fire that brings it down to about a 2 second cast time, It'd be better just to use two arcane shots rather than one aimed shot because aimed shot is mitigated by resilience and armor. By the looks of this it looks like 2 arcane shots hit harder than an aimed shot. I don't have an MM spec nor do I wish to get one until the spec gets better, so I'll just leave this here:

    Skip to 1:13

    Last edited by Tehstool; 2012-12-13 at 02:48 AM.

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

  6. #6
    I've been running Posthaste, Silencing Shot, Spirit bond, Dire Beast, amoc, and Glaive toss for survival bgs/world pvp, with disengage, explosive trap, and mirrored blades for glyphs.

    I arena as Survival as well, and run Iron Hawk instead of spirit bond, swapping between Posthaste and Narrow Escape based on what the enemy team is. (posthaste vs mages, narrow escape vs warriors, etc). Swap glyphs as needed based on team comp as well/what I expect the other team to do.

    Sitting at 2214 playing only Survival, so don't believe the lies.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Derian View Post
    I've been running Posthaste, Silencing Shot, Spirit bond, Dire Beast, amoc, and Glaive toss for survival bgs/world pvp, with disengage, explosive trap, and mirrored blades for glyphs.

    I arena as Survival as well, and run Iron Hawk instead of spirit bond, swapping between Posthaste and Narrow Escape based on what the enemy team is. (posthaste vs mages, narrow escape vs warriors, etc). Swap glyphs as needed based on team comp as well/what I expect the other team to do.

    Sitting at 2214 playing only Survival, so don't believe the lies.
    Oh god why...
    aMoC doesn't do any burst, it just spreads small dot on 30 secs and Dire Beast is the WORST option for PvP, it can be outran and it will just try to catch up to for the entire duration usually. Fervor is the absolutely best PvP focus tier talent, 100 Focus in 10 sec which allows for a lot of free AS/ES.

    Also you should run Spirit Bond in Arena if you don't have a healer and Iron Hawk if you do, if you go with Iron Hawk in 2s with no healer as SV, you have no self healing at all.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    I'm on a pvp server... How isn't that a pvp situation?

    And also you don't know what they meant. This thread is a SV 1v1 thread, not a bg/rbg/arena thread.


    And I don't think you've played mm saying that aimed shot hits for a lot and chimera shot is on a 9 second CD... How exactly will those fill the void when KC is only on a 6 second CD? Aimed shot takes forever to cast. In my pvp gear right now I have 1425 haste. Even with rapid fire that brings it down to about a 2 second cast time, It'd be better just to use two arcane shots rather than one aimed shot because aimed shot is mitigated by resilience and armor. By the looks of this it looks like 2 arcane shots hit harder than an aimed shot. I don't have an MM spec nor do I wish to get one until the spec gets better, so I'll just leave this here:

    Skip to 1:13
    That video is pretty old, there are more and more people playing MM i have noticed, while survival in pvp is still really underrepresented.
    I know that this is about 1v1 but if you browse for example arena ladders there are pretty high rated hunters playing MM.
    I think MM scales alot with gear, that's why many have switched from BM to MM after getting some gear, dont know about survival though, i guess atm it really is the weakest.
    Myself i am using MM in bg's and while it doesnt have the burst of BM i still prefer it alot for some reason, maybe now when i have better pvp gear the damage MM does has ramped up.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Oh god why...
    aMoC doesn't do any burst, it just spreads small dot on 30 secs and Dire Beast is the WORST option for PvP, it can be outran and it will just try to catch up to for the entire duration usually. Fervor is the absolutely best PvP focus tier talent, 100 Focus in 10 sec which allows for a lot of free AS/ES.

    Also you should run Spirit Bond in Arena if you don't have a healer and Iron Hawk if you do, if you go with Iron Hawk in 2s with no healer as SV, you have no self healing at all.
    Firstly, I don't do 2s, that's the setup I use in 3s. I may be wrong in doing so, but I haven't counted 2v2 since they took away fanciful weapons and titles from that bracket, but you're absolutely correct that if you don't have a healer, spirit bond is best.

    As to the others, I'm sure as hell not going to run lynx rush in 3v3 since I don't feel like having it dot anyone who happens to be close to the person I'm hitting. Blink strike is good and I've run it before, but amoc is my preferred choice for sustained pressure, esp. as Survival without the boosted pet damage from BM. As for dire beast, I want them to waste time trying to get away from it or peeling it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Thopp View Post
    That video is pretty old, there are more and more people playing MM i have noticed, while survival in pvp is still really underrepresented.
    I know that this is about 1v1 but if you browse for example arena ladders there are pretty high rated hunters playing MM.
    I think MM scales alot with gear, that's why many have switched from BM to MM after getting some gear, dont know about survival though, i guess atm it really is the weakest.
    Myself i am using MM in bg's and while it doesnt have the burst of BM i still prefer it alot for some reason, maybe now when i have better pvp gear the damage MM does has ramped up.
    Old or not it is still relevant. The damage output of MM is just bad. Could you please show me all these "top rated" hunters? I'd like to see well reputable people going mm. Thanks.

    Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    Old or not it is still relevant. The damage output of MM is just bad. Could you please show me all these "top rated" hunters? I'd like to see well reputable people going mm. Thanks.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Tosan/advanced
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...h/Msx/advanced
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...macý/advanced


    It's true that everyone of them has a BM spec and probably plays it too, but when i have been watching streams they play MM alot. Never seen survival though :P
    MM in pvp is underrated, sure it doesn't have the burst but you can still put pretty good pressure on the opposing team. Linking a video showing MM many patches ago gives a very different view on it, that's why i think a old video like that is completely irrelevant.
    Last edited by Thotmep; 2012-12-14 at 08:28 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •