Poll: Topic

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How good do you consider yourself on your main?

How skilled of a player do you think of yourself for your main class you play? This could be for PvP, PvE, just general knowledge. Interpret it how you will. Quick definitions for each poll choice:

Top 5% - You are among the elite in the world, always up to date on all theorycrafting and constantly outperforming other players of the same class and spec.

Top 25% - You are pretty up to date on what is best for your class, you play at high levels consistently, but there are players who can beat you.

Middle of the Road - You just go with the flow and emulate what other players of your class do. You don't care about charts or rank, you just play.

Below 50% - You spend little time learning your class, you mostly just play for fun and don't care about skill. It is a game, right?

As for me, I would place myself around the top 10-20%. I always am up to date on the latest math, and do a lot of math myself (along with a class guide awhile back and ideas I have poured a lot of effort into over the years). I am more casual than I was in WotLK, but still try to be the best I can as a Mage and a player overall. Very fun challenge being raid and guild leader this expansion as well, which I think I can be proud of playing at a high level while raid leading.

To add to my PvP experience though, I am terrible at PvP. And I am a Mage. Don't ask how.
    Last edited by LocNess; 2012-12-14 at 04:25 AM.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing with this poll sadly is that you'll see waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many people placing themselves higher than they actually are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Mages are balanced. It's just that they aren't balanced for Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Muschi View Post
    The thing with this poll sadly is that you'll see waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many people placing themselves higher than they actually are.
    Doubtful as if you've managed to complete all the raids on even normal level you're already in the top 1 or 2%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muschi View Post
    We always tend to overrate ourselves though . However on this site, the average forum user is probably more skilled than the average person in game or player on the official WoW forums. Just seems to be my experience.

As a PvE prot warrior I'm one of the best.

As a PvP anything warrior I'm one of the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    We always tend to overrate ourselves though . However on this site, the average forum user is probably more skilled than the average person in game or player on the official WoW forums. Just seems to be my experience.
    Well I guess you might be right about the "on these forums part" now that you mention it
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Mages are balanced. It's just that they aren't balanced for Azeroth.

PvP-wise I'd put myself top 25%. That might be generous though. My highest arena rating was 1900 in s8 which I'd say was probably top 40% during that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I have to say I'm in the top 25%. I know how to play my Shaman very well, I spend time doing research to be the best I can be. But I can still be beaten by certain players depending on the situation

Credit for the creation of this awesome signature belongs to Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmer View Post
    Doubtful as if you've managed to complete all the raids on even normal level you're already in the top 1 or 2%.
    What because you can raid? Yeah because no one is ever carried in a raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    If logs and arena titles are any indication, top 5%. I'm not sure it really matters though, people play WoW for so many different reasons, most players don't give a damn, and they have a blast while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    What because you can raid? Yeah because no one is ever carried in a raid.
    Well, only a few percent of players manage it then. What makes the other 97% that don't even do that better would you say? They're more efficient at doing dailies?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mediocre, rerolled monk healer for MoP and learning curve is there so will not consider myself close to any good until ive played for a while.

On my warrior though i consider myself as top 10-20% in cata. had several top 20 WoL logs without cheesing.

Edit; and was in a world 20th ranked guild back in vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karrmer View Post
    Well, only a few percent of players manage it then. What makes the other 97% that don't even do that better would you say? They're more efficient at doing dailies?
    I could say that Mionelol would be in the top 5% just for her ability to solo. Granted Mione raids so it mutes my point slightly, but if Mione didn't raid then I would definitely consider that extremely skillful. Or for my own example, a Frost Mage that could pull 20 mobs at once consistently and use good tactics to barely even get touched I could find impressive. Talent is not always black and white for raiding

Feel like I know my warrior pretty damn well PVP-wise. 2-time Gladiator and was in the Top 20 in the US in 2v2 during Season 5 at one point. Couldn't have done it without my awesome partner, obviously, but I liked the playstyle of the warrior then (which seems to be making a slight return now); knowing when to peel, intervene CCs such as blinds, and then charging and intercepting away with aplomb. Also, getting well-timed mace stuns with my Stormherald. (Bad joke, sorry for anyone who has bad memories being on the receiving end of those.)

PVE I've always messed around. The last time I've raided seriously was completing Karazhan with some friends when it first came out. Have some fond memories of that. Now I just tank for the instant queues and have fun with it. I'm sure I could put the time into studying rotations for a serious raiding guild, but I don't like being told when to sign on to play and waiting for everyone to get ready after wipes, etc. Probably would get me sick of the game fairly quickly, which is why I like the Arena system.

25% I'd be much better if I cared/had a better computer. Right now I'm just playing for me. Lax on enchanting etc. But I still know what I'm doing/rotations/strats
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Would have to say the top 5%, been playing my MW monk since the start of beta and feel i can push some the best numbers out there.

Sig by the amazing Shyama! <Ascension 16/16 H 25man oceanic>

Top 0.1% PvE, regardless of class.

44% are top 5%.

It depends. I feel I can definitely squeeze the most out of my class (that's possible at 300 MS, anyway) but I just operate at whatever stat weights that EJ or Askmrrobot have thrown out most recently. Accordingly, since I don't theorycraft myself, I'm not sure if I would qualify for how you've laid out the 5% bracket. At the end of the day, though, I'd say I fall into the top 5% or 25%.

Interestingly, 87.18% of people that have answered this poll so far believe themselves to be in the top 25% or 5%. I know that this is a small sample size from a specific group of people, but that's still an interesting discrepancy.

I would say top 10-5% since I am constantly ranking high on my main and can beat the stronger classes at my role without much trouble. Though I do no theorycrafting or anything, I just do what feels right to me.