Resto on Garalon HC

Ok here is the deal: Our druid needed some time off and we are progressing through garalon hc and there is no one but me to fill in the healing chart. My resto offspec is well geared ( 15%+ crit unbuffed, 60% mastery, 10% haste and 11k+ spirit) but im having mana problems. Our paladin has to constantly babysit the 2 tanks + the pheromone guy and im stick to raid healing with HR and CH but this seems to drain my mana way too fast.

As soon as the fight starts with hero + some other procs i can keep the raid alive with just HR and a regular chain heal. Once it drops and we get to our 4-5th pheromone soaker my mana starts to drain really quickly. The thing is... i do feel HR is mandatory if I intend to heal this so im dropping it on cd with UE but by this time my mana bar is below 1/4. Is there anything special we can do in this fight, some tricky mechanic perhaps?

I appreciate all the feedback.

PS: Glyphs: HST, TR and RT.
    Talents: AS, EG, TR, ASwiftness, HTT and PE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didrah View Post
    Ok here is the deal: Our druid needed some time off and we are progressing through garalon hc and there is no one but me to fill in the healing chart. My resto offspec is well geared ( 15%+ crit unbuffed, 60% mastery, 10% haste and 11k+ spirit) but im having mana problems. Our paladin has to constantly babysit the 2 tanks + the pheromone guy and im stick to raid healing with HR and CH but this seems to drain my mana way too fast.

As soon as the fight starts with hero + some other procs i can keep the raid alive with just HR and a regular chain heal. Once it drops and we get to our 4-5th pheromone soaker my mana starts to drain really quickly. The thing is... i do feel HR is mandatory if I intend to heal this so im dropping it on cd with UE but by this time my mana bar is below 1/4. Is there anything special we can do in this fight, some tricky mechanic perhaps?

I appreciate all the feedback.

PS: Glyphs: HST, TR and RT.
    Talents: AS, EG, TR, ASwiftness, HTT and PE.
    Depending how your composition looks either;

1) stick with melee and stay with them and place Healing Rain there. (more melee then ranged)
    2) Stick with ranged, have them stack up, place Healing Rain there. (more ranged then melee)
    3) Do not use Healing Rain if it won't hit more then 3 people. (mixed composition)

Chain Heal people up that actually are close by, do not randomly target, because it'll end up in mana drain if it will only hit one target all time. Also do not depend on Healing Rain and Chain Heal, because Healing Wave (although low hps) gives a ton of mana back, so my favourite rotation is...(if you can place Healing Rain down) is cast Healing Wave for a while switching it in with Greater Healing Wave. If you got high crit, Resurgence will give a lot of mana back. Also, I seem to prefer Glyphed Water Shield then the Telluric Turrents on that fight.

But without logs it's difficult to see, could you provide?
    Last edited by mmoc783674ddb9; 2012-12-14 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathina View Post
    Depending how your composition looks either;

1) stick with melee and stay with them and place Healing Rain there. (more melee then ranged)
    2) Stick with ranged, have them stack up, place Healing Rain there. (more ranged then melee)
    3) Do not use Healing Rain if it won't hit more then 3 people. (mixed composition)

Chain Heal people up that actually are close by, do not randomly target, because it'll end up in mana drain if it will only hit one target all time. Also do not depend on Healing Rain and Chain Heal, because Healing Wave (although low hps) gives a ton of mana back, so my favourite rotation is...(if you can place Healing Rain down) is cast Healing Wave for a while switching it in with Greater Healing Wave. If you got high crit, Resurgence will give a lot of mana back. Also, I seem to prefer Glyphed Water Shield then the Telluric Turrents on that fight.

But without logs it's difficult to see, could you provide?
    Our comp: Aff lock, Hunter, Mage, Warrior, Spriest and Moonkin. (Monk and pala tank & Me and pally heal). We are currently stacking at my position to maximize HR (Its about 40% of my total healing). Of course im moving toward the legs that are respawning so there is no problem with the spread healing because there is none.

I do not use TC glyph (TR = Totemic Recall). This is for gaining those 15k mana back before HST expires.

Is the glyph of water shield worth it for this fight?

Maybe im not using HW enough..

I dont have the logs but i can give u my healing numbers:

HR = 40% of my total healing.
    Riptide = 21% (Maybe spamming it too much?)
    HTT = 14%
    Earthliving, Restorative Mists and CH = About 6.5% each.
    HST = 5%
    HW = 2%
    GHW = 0.8%
    Last edited by Didrah; 2012-12-14 at 11:06 AM.

I killed him yesterday with 3 healers disc priests and me shaman. We had in total 2 wipes on him before we killed him first time with 3 healers. We tried 2 healing it last week but did not go very well people were dieing before 90% health. You really need a monk if you are 2 healing it. If you don't have a monk go for 3 healers. We fucked up on last phase passing the debuff to wrong person so we had a melee take it and we still killed him only 1 sec before his instant kill beserk. We aimed for 15 stacks and everyone but melee kiting. Melee were backups if someone fucked up.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=9051&e=9474

Healing is really easy just keep healing rain down in range stack and riptide+hw tanks melee and people kiting. I ran with riptide hw and recall glyph. Pop HTT before a crush with high stacks. or ascendance after.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didrah View Post
    Our comp: Aff lock, Hunter, Mage, Warrior, Spriest and Moonkin. (Monk and pala tank & Me and pally heal). We are currently stacking at my position to maximize HR (Its about 40% of my total healing). Of course im moving toward the legs that are respawning so there is no problem with the spread healing because there is none.

I do not use TC glyph (TR = Totemic Recall). This is for gaining those 15k mana back before HST expires.

Is the glyph of water shield worth it for this fight?

Maybe im not using HW enough..

I dont have the logs but i can give u my healing numbers:

HR = 40% of my total healing.
    Riptide = 21% (Maybe spamming it too much?)
    HTT = 14%
    Earthliving, Restorative Mists and CH = About 6.5% each.
    HST = 5%
    HW = 2%
    GHW = 0.8%
    Experiment, try Water Shield glyph on one try and see if you gain more mana from it. Do not use Riptide Glyph on a try either, to see if it's indeed you spamming it too much. Try depending slight more Healing Wave inbetween heals because like I said you regen a lot of mana. If ideed you are stacked up so you everyone is in Healing Rain, then Healing Wave is best way to heal people up with riptide inbetween two of them. (hence you use nonglyphed) Try it this way.

With that much ranged, I'd assume you have people mainly stacking around the center circle and only moving to kill the closer legs (avoiding the purple circle and pheromone trails as well) and dotting the outer ones if needed, it's a major point in everyone's favour to be closely grouped for healing and cooldowns. Our healers found it beneficial to not have to chase the raid around as much, so I'm just suggesting based on my experiences with it.

First kill we used 3 Healers (Holy Priest, Holy Paladin and Resto Shaman), all of us were in the rotation for taking the pheromones and I acted as half a healer only casting HR and Riptiding pheromones and spamming LB otherwise. Since then we've used a 2 healer strategy pretty successfully (H Paladin/H Priest), without healers kiting.

HST is probably the only one I might recommend switching for trying other things, as the only heavy non-physical damage is from pheromone soakers that are generally out of range (However the constant raid damage is the 20k~ ticks from Pheromones). I didn't find the Water Shield glyph too effective when we were first attempting the boss, but try it and compare the returns, I doubt you'd have much time to make TC worth glyphing for the mana, so the options left are Spirit Walkers or Healing Wave.

I'd say try get a bit more use out of your HW in between crushes, and the additional healing from the HW glyph on yourself may take a little pressure off. And you probably should have Restorative Mists a bit higher if you're using it after a crush, a 2 min CD over a 7 minute fight with consistent raid damage I'd expect it to be nearer to 3rd for total healing.
    Last edited by Knude; 2012-12-14 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Need Sleep

I personally wouldn't bother with the TC glyph...I've used it before & I really don't think the mana return is worth it, unless you're supposed to be dpsing the boss when you're not healing.

In my experience with Garalon, there's far too much healing to be done to have much, if any time, to be throwing LBs out there. I'm constantly healing and I feel like if I stop for just a second, someone is gonna die.

For this fight I use glyphs of TR, water shield(or healing wave) & chaining! This isn't a fight where you will be using chain heal often & I'm sure you've got melee to heal...this glyph will heal your ranged AND your melee, so you don't have to constantly be moving into range of your melee to heal them. Then simply use your tidal waves buff from the chain heal to sprinkle healing waves around. Since this fight already poses mana issues, I would say avoid using the riptide glyph, get your 3 riptides up & use healing wave for filler...using riptide too much will oom anyone >.<

I've found with healing rain, it's not great to use on CD for this fight because the raid is moving quite often. I really only use it after a movement shift, right before a crush & when the raid is taking a lot of damage when the pheromones buff gets up there in stacks. Otherwise I pretty much rely on healing stream, recalling it getting mana back and also reducing the timer on it so I can use it again quicker, riptide/chain heal with healing waves or GHW...Healing stream is usually up there in my top 3 heals.

And yes, must not forget about our uber cooldowns! I use mine early & often! I'll use HTT right before 1st crush, ascendance somewhere between 1st and 2nd crush(or right before 2nd crush), then spirit link in between 2nd & 3rd crushes(or just prior to the 3rd crush) & by that time your HTT will probably be up again or the boss should be dead, or close to dead.

Deleted
    The OP was talking about Totemic Recall, not the Telurric Currents.

Deleted
    And yes, must not forget about our uber cooldowns! I use mine early & often! I'll use HTT right before 1st crush, ascendance somewhere between 1st and 2nd crush(or right before 2nd crush), then spirit link in between 2nd & 3rd crushes(or just prior to the 3rd crush) & by that time your HTT will probably be up again or the boss should be dead, or close to dead.
    He is talking about heroic, the boss will not even be close to dead after 3 crushes. I tend to not really use CH when healing this. Just cycle through CDs (HTT first crush), elem mastery if you have it with ascendance after 2nd crush, spirit link third crush. Keep healing rain down on ranged when they aren't nuking legs so they can stand in it and just stay in range of kiters / tanks and bomb GHWs into them.

RT and HST on cd. Try to HW as much as you can but you won't be able to for long once the pheromones start getting 6+ stacks. Things usually get messy at crush 4-5, so we ask for our chicken tranq there. Call for personals / healthstones before crush 4/5 too. The next one should have HTT back off, and then the boss should push to 33% and no more crushes.

Most recent logs: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ke...&e=7849#Stasis (if it's of any use).
    Last edited by mmoc21a8b26c9e; 2012-12-14 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knude View Post
    Also would suggest using something other than HST Glyph, as the only non-physical damage is from Pheromones that are generally out of range. I didn't find the Water Shield glyph too effective when we were first attempting the boss, but try it and compare the returns, I doubt you'd have much time to make TC worth glyphing for the mana, so the options left are Spirit Walkers or Healing Wave.
    Pheremones hits the entire raid....

Deleted
    • Reforge into as much Crit as possible
    • Ensure you aren't using Glpyh of Water Shield, it's an MP5 loss on this fight
    • Ensure you are dropping HST on CD and recalling it at the last tick everytime (I have a huge, in your face, WeakAura for this now. See here)
    • Utilise more CDs, at least one for every Crush
    • Make sure Pheromones are getting swapped 10 secs before a Crush to minimise damage while you are stunned (therefore saving you using excess mana to get people back up quickly)

Glyph of water shield is a regen LOSS on this fight. Also, make sure you use your MTT EARLY in the fight. Like 250k mana. Obviously you need to make sure this is dropped when another water totem isn't up/doesnt need to be up. Couple this w/ proactive cd usage mentioned above. You will have to spam healing rain or you'll never make it through. Consider using a potion of focus in combo with HTT. HTT will be active for the duration of your potion of focus and you'll regen some nice mana.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhatred View Post
    Pheremones hits the entire raid....
    Will admit, mistake on my part, forgot about the 20k tick, whoops. My apologies, late night~ May be worth it for the 2k reductions on whoever receives ticks in this case and probably isn't worth switching out for alternatives unless you really feel it's necessary and as I said, the alternatives aren't too attractive.
    Last edited by Knude; 2012-12-14 at 04:47 PM.

Deleted
    Drop riptide glyph, hitting riptide off cd will be more than enough and will free up globals for other heals.
    Keep utilizing healing rain like you are, looks good.

At the end of the day you'll struggle with mana towards the end of the fight as standard, try and hold onto your mana longer, are you using CDs such as HTT and mana tide early in order to use them again later on in the fight? Are you reapplying reinforce/empower as your elementals will stop channeling on crushes? Are you asking for a bop when you have ascendance up on crushes so you avoid the stun and get maximum potential out of it?

The small things go a long way, also if your paladin isn't already, get him to blanket the raid in 1HP eternal flames. HS > Flame > Radiance > Flame > HS > Flame etc etc. One flame rolling on each raid member is easy enough to achieve and whoever his beacon is on will need very little healing (whether it be pheramone target or a tank). Will ease up raid healing and takes the stress off you.

If you're doing all the above I'd suggest going TC glyph and just try and minimise your overhealing completely. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cathina View Post
    The OP was talking about Totemic Recall, not the Telurric Currents.
    Yes but someone mentioned using TC glyph...

10+ Year Old Account
    I am astounded that HW, GHW, and HST combined make up less than 8% of your total healing. That really needs to change. We are Garalon HC next week but in my normal Garalon 2-heal fight those 3 spells made up 36% of my healing: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...94&e=6230#Plux

The style of healing I used on that kill was almost 0 healing rain because we have melee and ranged and people all over the damn place so if you are having a hard time coaxing your raid into standing in HR dont be afraid to make use of other spells.

I have not used RT glyph all expansion. I don't think it is necessary with 2 TC buffed HW/GHW plus plenty of fillers (HST/ES/HR/UL/etc.) between casts. glyphing riptide also makes you want to spam riptide, which nerfs your HPS.
    Last edited by edlike; 2012-12-15 at 03:58 AM.

Are you doing 10 man or 25 man? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

If you're doing 10 man, you may need to have the raid position in such a way that maximizes Healing Rain/Shaman AoE healing effectiveness. There really isn't any reason that the ranged and melee can't be within the range of a single Healing Rain, allowing it to hit every one except the tanks, the kiter (and possibly the kiter/tank's healer). Your efficiency goes up significantly if you can get 6+ people within Healing Rain. The best way to use Ascendance on this fight is probably to set up a ULE - Healing Rain and pop Ascendance right before a crush, allowing the Ascendance boosted HR to tick during those 3 seconds that you are stunned.

Don't overuse Chain Heal; it's generally only an effective spell if you have excess mana to burn. Having Riptide rolling on 3 targets (with the glyph removed - it is way too much of an efficiency loss on a fight where you are hitting the mana wall), and using Healing Wave is a lot easier on mana and probably more effective. Keep in mind also that healing lightens up quite a bit after the boss goes into P2 and stops doing crushes. Don't be afraid to burn the majority of your mana getting to that point; your cooldowns will generally start coming back up just before or as that phase starts as well.