Field Marshal

Finally hooked up my new computer =)... But have questions...

Hey guys.

You guys might remember me from posting that huge thread on the computer build forum about my new computer... Well, I finally hooked it up and have started it but I have a few questions.

First, here's a link to the post where my specs are:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...MANY-questions

I need to know a few things.

I got it made from NCIX. They gave me a checklist of things that they did. Here is what it says on it:

-memtest
    -system built
    -os install + drivers + updates
    -hdtune
    -prime
    -intel burn
    -furmark

1) What do they mean exactly, especially memtest, hdtune, prime, intel burn and furmark?

2) I need to reduce the size my Windows 7 takes on my SSD. Currently, the total size of my SSD is 119 GB but Win 7 takes about ~28 GB. Can I reduce it or is that how much it is supposed to take?

3) How can I safely optimize my Windows 7 on the SSD? Keep in mind that Windows 7 is already installed on my SSD so I need tips on what to do next for it. Or would you guys want me to re-install (I hope not :/)?

4) Do I keep all the programs I want to install for windows on the SSD? Like I am talking about misc stuff like... Dropbox, VLC player, Firefox, CPUID, Coretemp, and like misc programs? I need enough space on the SSD to be able to install WoW, SC2, D3 and SWTOR on it.

4) The 200mm side panel fan on my 500R case is not working. I opened the side panel and it is not hooked up. How can I hook it up safely? What do I connect to what?

5) The 500R LED fan switch works but the fan speed controller does not work I think in the front of the case. What can I check inside the case to see if it is connected? If it is not connected, how do I connect it? Where do I connect it?

6) I know I need to install a few things like MalwareByte's Antimalware and Microsoft Security Essentials, which I am in the process of doing right now. Is there anything else I need to make sure to install? Any like monitoring programs and stuff? Can I install them on my HDD instead of the SSD? Or should I leave them on the SSD?

If there is anything else I might think of, I'll add them on here.

Thanks in advance. =)

1) What do they mean exactly, especially memtest, hdtune, prime, intel burn and furmark?

These are all testing/benchmark programs used in this case to as reliably as possible ensure your hardware is in good working order.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 12:40 AM ----------

2) type "cmd" into your windows search bar in your start menu then right click on the command program that appears above. Left click open as administrator and you should get a black command window that opens.
    Type "powercfg -h off"
    This will turn hibernation off if it isn't already and will free up 8gb of space in your case. Hibernation is useless in a system with 8gb of ram and an SSD drive.

1) Those are basically tests to make sure the hardware is working. Memtest tests your systems memory, for example. Basically looking for damage or anything like that. You can google/wikipedia to find out more of each of these things to get an idea. Saves other people's time typing it out.

2-3)It's been a while, but I recall that Windows 7 already installs optimized. NCIX is a pretty solid place (I get all my stuff from there including the system I have now). 28GB sounds about right for a fresh install. I thought it was lower (like 25GB), but I haven't done a fresh install since October 2010, and I'm sure patches and updates increased the size of things. I'm running with a 64GB SSD, 55.7 of which is usable. On my C:\ I only keep Windows, along with other small programs and any program that starts up with Windows. Browsers, virus scanners, MS Office, etc. My C:\ typically hovers around 3 to 5GB free (system restore data seems to be the main thing that fluctuates it). Your drive should be big enough for a few programs depending on size.

4)(a) You can install anythign you want to the normal HDD instead of the SSD. It comes down to what you want to open fast. Small programs like CPUID and Coretemp are not needed on the SSD simply because they arn't opened constantly. Personally for me I would put Firefox on the SSD because when I want a webpage the only thing slowing me down better be the speed at which the website sends me data. Good luck getting all those games on the SSD though, withou doing the calculations your gonna be pushing it once you get some bloat after a few months of use.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 12:54 AM ----------

4)(b) What does the connector on the 200mm fan look like? It should be one of three types. A small tabbed 3 pin fan style connector( red, black, yellow wires), a small tabbed 4 pin connector (red, black, yellow, blue wires), or a larger ~1" wide molex keyed connecter, rectanglar with 2 corners cut off making the key (red, black x2, yellow wires). There are many ways to connect it depending on your motherboard, power supply, fan controller setup. If it is one of the first two types of connectors you can plug it into your motherboard if you have a free spot. If not then you need an adapter to convert it to molex. Cheap and readily available at most computer oriented shops. Molex connector will plug into one of your power supply cables. Depending on how good of a job the builders did you may not see them as they would be tucked neatly away. Oh and FYI a 4 pin connector will fit onto a 3 pin header on the motherboard just fine, you just lose the pwm blue wire's functionality to control fan speed as easily.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 12:59 AM ----------

5) I'm not touching this one as there are too many possibilities. Most likely the builder did not connect your fans to it for one reason or another. Maybe someone who has built with that particular case can help? Either way gonna take some work to see where wires are currently and where they should go. Since you didn't know how to plug in your side fan I'm gonna advise you to not try it yourself. Any local computer shops around that actually know what they are doing? Don't you dare say Geeks or other big box store, you'd be playing with fire, although you could get lucky.

Field Marshal
    I will probably google those terms and find out what they mean anyway

I just had my computer hang up on me after doing some changes of settings (it got stuck at logging off until I had to hard reboot). I did a restore to the 1st update I did so I am installing all the updates again.
    Anyone know of a site that lists everything I can change for SSD in terms of optimizing and reducing the size my OS takes on the SSD, "safely"?

I also found the the fan connector for the side panel, but it is tied with all the other cables at the back of motherboard with a white cable tie/wrap. I don't know if I can cut it and take it out and plug in the side intake fan to it.
    Also, the fan controller and led fan works. I tested to see, visually and hear as well, if the fan speed changes, and it does
    The side panel fan works as well when connected but I connected it by holding it on the right side of the case and plugging it in. My brother helped me, so we could see if it actually works or not. I am just confused on "why" the NCIX builders cable-tied it tightly to the back and I can't use it unless I cut it and take it out, but I don't know if my warranty or coverage will be void or something if I cut it... Anyone know if I can cut the cable tie and put in a new cable tie and take that fan connector to the other side and connect the side panel case fan, without voiding the warranty or whatever?

EDIT: Forgot to state that the side case fan is not connected since it is just hanging there.

---------- Post added 2012-12-15 at 10:29 PM ----------

one more question...
    How can I find out what version the drivers are for all the parts, especially the graphics card? Well, the 1st question to this should be, "what" should I update or keep updating for my computer, driver-wise? Like I know there is the chipset, motherboard, GFX, firmware and bunch of other stuff that I don't know yet... So, I need a complete list if possible, which I can then save and keep checking updates for them online and update as needed.

---------- Post added 2012-12-16 at 12:53 AM ----------

I just found out the version I have for my GFX... Its the Catalyst 12.10 so I am good
    I love windows 7... It tells me everything I want. <3
    I also LOVE having a SSD... 8 seconds from turning on computer to log in screen for windows =P